Ultimate Iowa Powerlifting
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Ultimate Iowa Powerlifting

A forum dedicated to powerlifting in Iowa and Iowa City

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Andy Awad's Training Log

Go down 
+9
badbackboi
DDaddyKane
Josh Martin
SSchwartsenator
Keosawa
Nathan Poage
David Petersen
Quadfather
KevinAlvy
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 18  Next
AuthorMessage
Andy Awad
Class I
Class I

Andy Awad's Training Log - Page 12 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Andy Awad's Training Log   Andy Awad's Training Log - Page 12 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 21, 2014 12:49 pm

10/20/14

Squat

warmups
405 x 4
455 x 1 PR

Paused squats 5 second count

225 x 5
225 x 5
225 x 5

Bent over rows

135 x 10
185 x 10
185 x 10
185 x 10

Wasn't feeling the best going into the gym today for a number of reasons, but I wanted to hit 405 for 3 reps. I figured it was something doable for me. I hit it for 4, and the 4th one really fatigued me. After I watched the vid, I realized I was really cutting them high. So, because I'm stupid, I decided to go for a PR squat to make myself feel better about things. I got it which was nice. In retrospect it wasn't a good idea though. Squats were feeling pretty off yesterday, and with my back injury still being fairly recent, I should have dropped the weight and got some quality reps in. As it was, after the 455 I was too exhausted to do pretty much any quality work so I did some light paused squats. Good thing is I feel like in general I'm finding a squat setup that I feel works well for me.
Back to top Go down
Andy Awad
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: Andy Awad's Training Log   Andy Awad's Training Log - Page 12 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 22, 2014 10:01 am

Alright guys and gals, I've been thinking about something and I'd like to get some input from the team. I've been training recently with the thought of competing sometime in the next few months, but with the way things are looking, I don't know if I'll be in a position in the near future that will grant me the freedom to really prepare the way I'd like to for something like that. I sure hope that's not the case, but with trying to graduate and find a job and all, I have no idea what things will be like for me in the coming months.

So… There is this UPA meet in Dubuqe the weekend of the 15th. Am I prepared for it? No. I was thinking about it a while ago, but I decided not to do it after things got going this semester and my friend Matthias visited and my training got a little sidetracked. However, I am feeling pretty good right now about my lifts, and I think I could put something together that I’d be content with and I’ve been toying with the idea of just doing it anyway. Additionally, I’d have the bonus of being able to do this with other people from the team and Magni who are going which would be awesome. I also wouldn’t focus on trying to lose weight and then cut to 198 now. I’ve been pretty consistently 212 (gym shorts and t – shirt) when I go to lift at Magni in the evenings, so I’d just go ahead and go 220 to make things less stressful. It’d be nice to have my first serious meet experience be a positive one with good people and low stress. If you have thoughts worth sharing, please share them.
Back to top Go down
DDaddyKane
Class II
Class II

PostSubject: Re: Andy Awad's Training Log   Andy Awad's Training Log - Page 12 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 22, 2014 12:15 pm

If you're talking about November you need to sign up by friday. Thats the cutoff date. As far as if you should do it, I don't have much input since its my first serious meet, but I think it would be a good experience.
Back to top Go down
SSchwartsenator
Admin
SSchwartsenator

PostSubject: Re: Andy Awad's Training Log   Andy Awad's Training Log - Page 12 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 22, 2014 12:40 pm

Well first things first: The meet is almost full. You need to sign up literally today or tomorrow if you want to get in. You would compete Saturday though, where as Dalton competes Sunday. Second: you emphasized the "low stress" and I'm going to be honest with you that this is a HUGE meet. There's numerous record holders usually present. This isn't to say you should even be comparing yourself to anybody there, but just be aware it's a very amped up environment.
Back to top Go down
KevinAlvy
Elite
Elite
KevinAlvy

PostSubject: Re: Andy Awad's Training Log   Andy Awad's Training Log - Page 12 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 22, 2014 1:13 pm

do it for the fans
Back to top Go down
Andy Awad
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: Andy Awad's Training Log   Andy Awad's Training Log - Page 12 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 22, 2014 2:35 pm

Sam, good point. I was thinking low stress concerning my preparation and not being too concerned if I don't get great numbers since I haven't been training for a meet right now. I didn't even consider the venue, and that can bring an entire element on it's own. It might be better for me to find a more low key environment. I'm just getting the itch to compete pretty bad right now. Maybe it has something to do with wanting to distract myself from how much I hate school.

Ultimately, the fans will decide.
Back to top Go down
SSchwartsenator
Admin
SSchwartsenator

PostSubject: Re: Andy Awad's Training Log   Andy Awad's Training Log - Page 12 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 22, 2014 2:57 pm

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to put you off by any means. I just want you to know what you're getting into. Personally, I loved it. It was my first "real" meet as well. I work very well under stress though, and it's hard to keep yourself energized when the entire room is filled with yelling, nose tork, and sweaty bearded men trying to squeeze 20 ounces of meat into a 10 ounce can (read: squat suit).

This meet will be long. From my first squat to my last deadlift it was about 9 hours. That's a long time. You can't just ride that "gym" high the entire day. You have to come down and cool off after your attempts or you'll burnout before you're even half way through your bench attempts.

Ultimately it's up to you. Looking at the roster there's a couple 22BB peeps competing, and Dalton on Sunday, but that's about it. Surprised there's not more to be honest, but I know some of the Magni guys were going up there regardless to watch, so there will definitely be people you know.
Back to top Go down
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: Andy Awad's Training Log   Andy Awad's Training Log - Page 12 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 22, 2014 3:15 pm

If you're looking for a smaller, low-key environment to compete in, the NASA meet will probably be a very small and very quick meet. They never last long, there aren't a bunch of world-record holders there (just Beau Moore), and the environment isn't turnt up like the Dubuque meets are. It's coming up really quickly, but you could probably sign up for the meet day-of and be fine. We don't have any Gold Card entries left, but even then, membership + entry fee for this meet will be about the same price as just the entry fee for the Dubuque meet.
Back to top Go down
SSchwartsenator
Admin
SSchwartsenator

PostSubject: Re: Andy Awad's Training Log   Andy Awad's Training Log - Page 12 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 22, 2014 4:56 pm

Chris Anderson wrote:
If you're looking for a smaller, low-key environment to compete in, the NASA meet will probably be a very small and very quick meet. They never last long, there aren't a bunch of world-record holders there (just Beau Moore), and the environment isn't turnt up like the Dubuque meets are. It's coming up really quickly, but you could probably sign up for the meet day-of and be fine. We don't have any Gold Card entries left, but even then, membership + entry fee for this meet will be about the same price as just the entry fee for the Dubuque meet.

Chris Anderson wrote:
They never last long, there aren't a bunch of world-record holders there (just Beau Moore), and the environment isn't turnt up like the Dubuque meets are.

Chris Anderson wrote:
and the environment isn't turnt up like the Dubuque meets are.

Chris Anderson wrote:
turnt up like the Dubuque meets are.

Chris Anderson wrote:
turnt up

Andy Awad's Training Log - Page 12 2014-07-09_15_55_03
Back to top Go down
SSchwartsenator
Admin
SSchwartsenator

PostSubject: Re: Andy Awad's Training Log   Andy Awad's Training Log - Page 12 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 23, 2014 8:59 pm

OP PLS RESPOND

Bill Carpenter wrote:

10/23 Roster Update: 111 lifters. I only have 3 spots left for Sunday. Tomorrow is the entry deadline. The next 3 entries for Sunday are in. The rest will be put on a waiting list. I still have spots open for Saturday Bench only and Men's Open Full Power.
Back to top Go down
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: Andy Awad's Training Log   Andy Awad's Training Log - Page 12 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 23, 2014 10:50 pm

anday pls
Back to top Go down
Andy Awad
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: Andy Awad's Training Log   Andy Awad's Training Log - Page 12 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 23, 2014 11:13 pm

Oh man. I just saw this. I'm going to bed now. Gonna sleep on it and ask the powerlifting gods for guidance to make the right decision in the morning.
Back to top Go down
Andy Awad
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: Andy Awad's Training Log   Andy Awad's Training Log - Page 12 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 25, 2014 2:11 pm

Came in on Wednesday to do some benching but it sucked big time so I called it quits. I've had no energy recently. I fucking hate school and what it's doing to my gains.

10/25

Sumo deadlift

warmups
525 x 2 x 2
315 x 10

Really thought I'd have 525 for 3, but once again I got out of position.  This time the weight was too heavy for me to recover form it though.  I ditched the straps and tried for it again, but I was gassed and ended up fighting for the second rep.

Some t bar rows and one set of pullups

Some notes:

It is definitely time for me to start programming again.  I am going to get back to some high volume accumultion work on my squat and bench twice a week and I'll do something similar I think with my deadlift once a week. I've been back to just kind of doing whatever and trying to PR randomly, and it's just not the best way for me to train.  It was fun for a while, but I'm back to needing more structure now so I don't hurt myself and/or burn out my nervous system.

I'll likely do some high volume stuff for about 4 weeks and then take an easy week and work on some high intensity work. Most of the time I've found I can do max attempts on a lift once a week for about 3 weeks until my nervous system doesn't want to cooperate anymore and needs a deload.  I'm going to really try to listen to it this time wen I decide to do some max effort stuff.  I haven't worked out the details of what I will be doing yet, but I will soon.  It will start today with 5 sets of about 15 on bench press.  Going to keep working on that bar path.  I'll start with something similar on my squats on Monday.

I also am thinking to swtich to conventional deadlifting for this next cycle to take some of the stress off my knees and hips.
Back to top Go down
Andy Awad
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: Andy Awad's Training Log   Andy Awad's Training Log - Page 12 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 27, 2014 1:32 pm

10/25/14

Bench press

5 -6 sets at 185.

ohp

155 x 3 x 3

135 x 2 x 5

Some dbb flies

All in all not the greatest workout. I was pretty much just making sure I came in and got some quality reps in. Tried to keep the bar path good and move the weight fast.
Back to top Go down
Andy Awad
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: Andy Awad's Training Log   Andy Awad's Training Log - Page 12 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 28, 2014 10:47 am

Squats

275 x 6 x 6

Conventional deadlift in oly shoes (inspired by Poage)

225 x 4 x 10

Kept overall intensity pretty low and reduced my rest intervals for this workout.  I left the gym feeling really good.

Notes: Working on keeping my chin tucked and not driving my head back when I squat.  Takes a lot of stress off of my hips and keeps my spine in a much more comfortable neutral position.  Probably better for my neck too.  Thoguth about the same thing for my deadlift.

Also, I'm thinking about going back to squatting in flat soles.  The oly shoes definitely help with the range of motion, but they make it a challenge to sit back for me and put additional stress on my knees as I find myself fighting to keep from coming forward.  Next time I squat I'll see if maintaining a tucked chin position puts me in a good enough spinal position to comfortably make depth in flat soled shoes.

As for deadlift, sumo, even with the narrower stance, finally started to take it's toll on my hips (and kness this time too) again.  I fear this is the for real end of sumo for me, unless I really take the time to slowly build up the necessary technique and mobility to do it well - but I just don't have the patience to do that right now.  It was going fairly well, but I'd much rather be able to keep doing this for a long time than get an extra 20 lbs or whatever out of my deadlift.

I've been spending a lot of time finding what setup works best for me on my lifts.  I'm starting to feel like things are coming together with my squat at least.
Back to top Go down
Andy Awad
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: Andy Awad's Training Log   Andy Awad's Training Log - Page 12 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 29, 2014 10:27 am

Bench Press heels up

315 x 3 x 3
275 x 9
185 x 20

Felt the need to try some heavy weight with heels up benching. I can see this set up working well for me. Biggest difference I felt was it was easier to get weight distributed to my upper back. Arch was tighter, but somehow less stressful on my lower back. Upper back/ shoulder positioning felt better for the shoulders. hand-offs were a lot different. I need to set up way farther back. I was setting up too far in front of the bar and had a tough time getting tight underneath the weight and had to bring the weight very far out. Last set it messed with my groove a decent bit. Need to get some volume in with this to give it a really good try.

dbb ohp

sets of ten up to the 60's, then the 70's for 4...big difference between the 60's and 70's on these...

Body weight dips

20, 25, 25, 20

Back to top Go down
Andy Awad
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: Andy Awad's Training Log   Andy Awad's Training Log - Page 12 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 30, 2014 3:40 pm

10/29/14

Back workout

Barbell rows (Pendlay rows?)

Warmups

235 x 4 x 8

dbb rows

80, 100, 105, 105, x 10

Chest supported rows

4 sets up to 3 plates + 25, 3 plates was probably where I should have stopped

10 shitty pullups

Some shrugs

I decided to try taking a back day at the rec center.  I know I'm not getting enough back work in lately, so I'm thinking of taking a day just focus on back training, especially my thoracic spine.  I've been trying to get back work in after squats and deadlifts, but I've either been finding myself just feeling too tired or like the workout is taking too long to really give it the attention I think it needs.

All in all, I think it was a good idea.  I feel like the most beneficial thing for me are the chest supported rows.  It would be great if Magni had something like the Hammer strength machine at the rec.  Bent over rows and t - bar rows are great, but I just can't target my upper back with them the same way I can with the hammer strength machine.  As of now I'm not sure if I'll keep the back day or just make a better effort to get it in with other stuff.

Anyone know a good way to get a chest supported rowing movement in with free weights?
Back to top Go down
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: Andy Awad's Training Log   Andy Awad's Training Log - Page 12 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 30, 2014 6:23 pm

The HS plate loaded machines in the Field House are fantastic. 10/10 would use to help me block out the sun.
Back to top Go down
Andy Awad
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: Andy Awad's Training Log   Andy Awad's Training Log - Page 12 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 31, 2014 11:01 am

I agree completely. Think the guys at Magni would get one of those? Maybe next time they ask for equipment suggestions we could suggest one of those.
Back to top Go down
Andy Awad
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: Andy Awad's Training Log   Andy Awad's Training Log - Page 12 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 01, 2014 6:49 pm

10/31/14

beltless paused squats

275 x 2
315 x 2
315 x 2
315 x 2
315 x 2

Did these without the oly shoes. Depth wasn't a problem at all and my hips felt great as long as i kept good head/neck position. Knees felt great too. Actually, everything about these squats felt fantastic. It's weird saying this, but right now, out of all my lifts, my squat set up is feeling the best. I don't think that's ever been the case for me.

Bench (heels up)

255 x 10
255 x 10
275 x 6

Bench feels like shit right now. the weights actually moved well, but my setup just felt so off. Also, I don't know what to do about my bar tilt issues. I think it's probably caused from a very old untreated back injury that left one of my thoracic vertebrae permanently misshapen (it's shaped like a wedge) which causes me to have some scoliosis in my upper back. Chiro once told me I'd be a good inch and a half taller if my spine was straight. So, anyhow, the issue remains of how I can address this issue and continue to progress my bench press. I need to figure out a setup that allows my to get both of my shoulders in a healthy position so I can lift a shit ton of weight. Aside from working on my setup itself, I think I have some muscular imbalances in my upper body that contribute to my setup issues. Addressing these could potentially help.

4 x Circuit of lateral rasies, banded tris and some hammer curls for the girls.
Back to top Go down
badbackboi
Class II
Class II
badbackboi

PostSubject: Re: Andy Awad's Training Log   Andy Awad's Training Log - Page 12 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 01, 2014 7:05 pm

Andy Awad wrote:

Anyone know a good way to get a chest supported rowing movement in with free weights?

Can't you just go prone on a flat bench and row the barbell underneath the bench? You'd have to play around with the set up and because the ROM is too short.
Back to top Go down
Andy Awad
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: Andy Awad's Training Log   Andy Awad's Training Log - Page 12 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 01, 2014 7:46 pm

I've been thinking about how to do that. I've done some on the incline bench with dumbbells, but it doesn't work the best for me. I'll try something like that next workout.
Back to top Go down
badbackboi
Class II
Class II
badbackboi

PostSubject: Re: Andy Awad's Training Log   Andy Awad's Training Log - Page 12 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 02, 2014 11:44 am

might work to put the flat DB bench on the jerk/pulling boxes/blocks/plinths. could give it a try on the GHR too.
Back to top Go down
Andy Awad
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: Andy Awad's Training Log   Andy Awad's Training Log - Page 12 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 02, 2014 8:21 pm

beltless pause squat

warmups
405 x 1 PR

Squats are feeling really good right now. That wasn't as hard as it would have been a little while ago. Not easy, but I felt really confident with it.

Conventional deadlift

315 x 5
315 x 5
315 x 10

Felt good.

ouchmyback wrote:
might work to put the flat DB bench on the jerk/pulling boxes/blocks/plinths. could give it a try on the GHR too.

Those are both good ideas. Thanks man.
Back to top Go down
Andy Awad
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: Andy Awad's Training Log   Andy Awad's Training Log - Page 12 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 04, 2014 9:43 am

11/03/14

Bench press
275 x 2
225 x 5 x 8

Pretty much just worked on setup. Dalton pointed out the unevenness in my feet. This is mostly due to asymmetric hip mobility, and could potentially be the source of my bar tilt. left side is tighter than my right. Something to work on at any rate.

Some tris, bis, and lateral raises.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Andy Awad's Training Log   Andy Awad's Training Log - Page 12 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Andy Awad's Training Log
Page 12 of 18Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 18  Next