Ultimate Iowa Powerlifting
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Ultimate Iowa Powerlifting

A forum dedicated to powerlifting in Iowa and Iowa City

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log

Go down 
+13
DDaddyKane
agleckler
Seth
badbackboi
LTomasiello
El Nel
Andy Awad
KevinAlvy
Nathan Poage
lowerpower25
rndchris
Keosawa
Quadfather
17 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 9 ... 18  Next
AuthorMessage
SSchwartsenator

Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log Empty
PostSubject: Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log   Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log Icon_minitimeWed Feb 12, 2014 3:56 pm

I suck at life and couldn't make it to the open house last Sunday so I guess I'll just be socially awkward over the internet instead.

Well, first things first, it'd be rude to start off without introductions:

Name: Sam "The Venezuelan Surprise" aka "Hurricane Sam" Schwarts
Year at Iowa: Junior, Health and Human Physiology w/ focus in Exercise Science

Weight Class: 198lbs
Best Lifts: Gym: Squat-325lbs Bench-235lbs Deadlift-390 Meet: None, because I'm a n00b
Favorite Lift: wide stance low bar squat

Athletic/Lifting history: None in high school. Weighed a threatening 130 pounds my senior year. Enlisted in the Marines directly out of high school and got my ass kicked. Been in the Reserves 5 years now and picked up a barbell for the first time in September 2011 (I celebrate an anniversary every year by snorting a cup of creatine over a candlelit steak dinner). Had a serious case of Fuck-Arounditis until mid 2012 when I seriously picked up Powerlifting.

Hobbies outside of lifting:

• Sailing, it's fun as shit and relaxing, but can be really competitive if you're racing. If you're nice to me I can take you sailing on Lake MacBride. Or if you're NOT nice to me, I'll still take you out there, but I'll make sure we capsize and that you drown  Very Happy
  • Being a snapchat fiend
  • Trying to find pants that have a nice balance between fitting my quads but won't have an absurdly large waist
  • Getting star-struck whenever I see Poage lifting at the CRWC

I'm currently running my first cycle of the Lillibridge Method which involves a split along the lines of: alternating heavy bench every other week, followed by accessory work and then alternating heavy squat and deadlift from week to week followed by accessory work.
Back to top Go down
Quadfather
Class I
Class I
Quadfather

PostSubject: Re: Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log   Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log Icon_minitimeWed Feb 12, 2014 4:23 pm

First! Welcome to the club sam. How do you like the lilliebridge method? I have a couple and i am considering to use it after my meet this weekend
Back to top Go down
SSchwartsenator
Admin
SSchwartsenator

PostSubject: Re: Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log   Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log Icon_minitimeWed Feb 12, 2014 4:31 pm

It'd also be cool if I wasn't technologically deficient and could have figured out how to make an account in less than 20 minutes.

whattup Brometheus, I like it. It seemed really low volume to me at first, especially the Heavy days, but my body definitely feels gassed the next day. I've never had to eat as much as I do now to keep up with it. I haven't been following it as strict as I probably should, but I'm sure if I did AND I ate more I'd see significant gains. I'm predicting a 15lbs jump in all my lifts, but I guess we'll find out in 5 weeks what happens!

Anyways: Upperbody accessory day

2/12/14

5x12 Bodyweight dips
5x15 Dumbbell Lat Raises. 25lbs dumbbell
5x15 Tricep Pulldowns 62.5 pounds
5x15 Front Delt Cable Raises 47.5 pounds
4x20 barbell shrugs 175lbs

and some random ab work
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log   Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log Icon_minitimeWed Feb 12, 2014 4:51 pm

Welcome, Sam! Are you new to the club?
Back to top Go down
http://iowapowerlifting.com
rndchris
Class IV
Class IV
rndchris

PostSubject: Re: Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log   Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log Icon_minitimeWed Feb 12, 2014 6:44 pm

Welcome. The pants problem is an issue I have too.
Back to top Go down
Quadfather
Class I
Class I
Quadfather

PostSubject: Re: Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log   Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log Icon_minitimeWed Feb 12, 2014 7:34 pm

rndchris wrote:
Welcome. The pants problem is an issue I have too.

Everyone on the team has a problem with pants, coffman
Back to top Go down
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log   Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log Icon_minitimeWed Feb 12, 2014 8:41 pm

SSchwartsenator wrote:
I suck at life and couldn't make it to the open house last Sunday so I guess I'll just be socially awkward over the internet instead.

Best Lifts: Gym: Squat-325lbs Bench-235lbs Deadlift-390 Meet: None, because I'm a n00b

Athletic/Lifting history: None in high school. Weighed a threatening 130 pounds my senior year. Enlisted in the Marines directly out of high school and got my ass kicked. Been in the Reserves 5 years now and picked up a barbell for the first time in September 2011 (I celebrate an anniversary every year by snorting a cup of creatine over a candlelit steak dinner). Had a serious case of Fuck-Arounditis until mid 2012 when I seriously picked up Powerlifting.

• Sailing, it's fun as shit and relaxing, but can be really competitive if you're racing. If you're nice to me I can take you sailing on Lake MacBride. Or if you're NOT nice to me, I'll still take you out there, but I'll make sure we capsize and that you drown  Very Happy
  • Being a snapchat fiend
  • Trying to find pants that have a nice balance between fitting my quads but won't have an absurdly large waist

I'm currently running my first cycle of the Lillibridge Method which involves a split along the lines of: alternating heavy bench every other week, followed by accessory work and then alternating heavy squat and deadlift from week to week followed by accessory work.

Best first post in the history of the forum.
Back to top Go down
lowerpower25
Class IV
Class IV
lowerpower25

PostSubject: Re: Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log   Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log Icon_minitimeWed Feb 12, 2014 8:57 pm

agreed with the pants, waist hangs down past the ass, an on the quads it looks like damn skinny jeans
Back to top Go down
Nathan Poage
Master
Master
Nathan Poage

PostSubject: Re: Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log   Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log Icon_minitimeWed Feb 12, 2014 9:10 pm

Chris Anderson wrote:
SSchwartsenator wrote:

• Being a snapchat fiend

No shit, talk about setting the bar high.

Good to have you here and please don't be starstruck by my because it goes to my head.
Back to top Go down
http://www.lemonparty.com
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log   Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log Icon_minitimeWed Feb 12, 2014 9:13 pm

SSchwartsenator wrote:
Weighed a threatening 130 pounds my senior year.

Story of Poage's life, btw.
Back to top Go down
Nathan Poage
Master
Master
Nathan Poage

PostSubject: Re: Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log   Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log Icon_minitimeWed Feb 12, 2014 9:20 pm

Again, no shit. 115 when I was in the prime of my cross country and half marathon days. 175 by the end of freshman year though.
Back to top Go down
http://www.lemonparty.com
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log   Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log Icon_minitimeWed Feb 12, 2014 9:58 pm

Half marathon? I was unaware. Dude, you need a goddam medal for being able to come back from such depths of hell.
Back to top Go down
SSchwartsenator
Admin
SSchwartsenator

PostSubject: Re: Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log   Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log Icon_minitimeWed Feb 12, 2014 10:21 pm

Kyle Keough wrote:

Hey Kyle, yes sir, I'd be lying if I said i didn't lurk around the website mirin' for awhile though. I would have expressed interest sooner but I just got back to 100% off a herniated disc injury (COMPLETELY unrelated to lifting) I got last July.
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log   Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log Icon_minitimeWed Feb 12, 2014 10:53 pm

SSchwartsenator wrote:
Kyle Keough wrote:

Hey Kyle, yes sir, I'd be lying if I said i didn't lurk around the website mirin' for awhile though. I would have expressed interest sooner but I just got back to 100% off a herniated disc injury (COMPLETELY unrelated to lifting) I got last July.

I gotcha; well, now's as good a time as any to join. Welcome to the team, mate.
Back to top Go down
http://iowapowerlifting.com

PostSubject: Re: Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log   Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log Icon_minitimeThu Feb 13, 2014 5:44 am

SSchwartsenator wrote:
I just got back to 100% off a herniated disc injury (COMPLETELY unrelated to lifting) I got last July.

Excellent. You've joined the right club.
Back to top Go down
KevinAlvy
Elite
Elite
KevinAlvy

PostSubject: Re: Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log   Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log Icon_minitimeThu Feb 13, 2014 8:27 pm

Chris Anderson wrote:

yes

would read again/10
Back to top Go down
SSchwartsenator
Admin
SSchwartsenator

PostSubject: Re: Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log   Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log Icon_minitimeFri Feb 14, 2014 7:47 pm

2/14/14

Lower Body Core Lifts:

Warmups
93% of max (300) x2

Speed Deadlifts
60% of max (221) 6x5

Comments:
Squats went okay. Looking at my recordings i just BARELY hit parallel. The wooden platforms in the Olympic lifting room were throwing me off a bit too, I just wasn't used to them, and I wasn't used to squatting without the "oh shit" bars. Gotta work on the psychological aspect of that and practicing bailing in worst case scenarios.

Got some much needed feedback from Kyle on my deadlifts. I've NEVER really gotten input on my lockout, so that gives me some fresh input. Gotta consciously work on telling myself to engage the glutes right off the bat.
Back to top Go down
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log   Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log Icon_minitimeFri Feb 14, 2014 8:03 pm

It was good to meet you today. I'm glad you're getting the input you need on your lifts--if nothing else, you will be able to get a lot of that from us.
Back to top Go down
SSchwartsenator
Admin
SSchwartsenator

PostSubject: Re: Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log   Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log Icon_minitimeSun Feb 16, 2014 5:02 pm

2/16/2014

Lower Body accessory day:

Front Squats 5x7 135

Deficit Deadlifts 4x5 185

Lat Pulldowns 4x12 130

Seated Hamstring/quad curls 4x13 140 for both

Comments: Just kinda messed around today. Worked on some explosiveness with the front squats and deadlifts, not trying to go heavy at all. Looking back on it I probably should've done a bit more back work, but overall was a solid workout

Back to top Go down
SSchwartsenator
Admin
SSchwartsenator

PostSubject: Re: Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log   Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log Icon_minitimeMon Feb 17, 2014 3:24 pm

So I've decided to do the intramural meet regardless of where my 10 week cycle is. I doubt I'll PR, I may just hit my gym PR's, which I still wouldn't be upset about as I hear it's hard to hit gym numbers during a meet. I feel like it'd be good experience considering I've never done a meet, and what better way to get thrown into it than with people who won't judge you if you fail miserably! My question now is, do I just drop all training this week and rest? Go to the gym and just hit low weights for some reps?

OP is lost in the sauce.

pls respond
Back to top Go down
Quadfather
Class I
Class I
Quadfather

PostSubject: Re: Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log   Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log Icon_minitimeMon Feb 17, 2014 3:29 pm

If i understand correctly, the meet is one week from thursday so begin working up to heavy(er) singles on your squat and deadlift this week. Maybe do your last heavy bench at sunday's training session
Back to top Go down
lowerpower25
Class IV
Class IV
lowerpower25

PostSubject: Re: Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log   Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log Icon_minitimeMon Feb 17, 2014 6:31 pm

a good basis to go off of is three days at least rest from a vigourous workout to another, the bodys main muscle groups (usually) are healed and ready in three days
Back to top Go down
SSchwartsenator
Admin
SSchwartsenator

PostSubject: Re: Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log   Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log Icon_minitimeFri Feb 21, 2014 4:57 pm

So as a work up to the meet next week I just kinda took it easy this week, didn't do 100% lifts, just worked on form. I didn't go to the training session today because I'm still crying from the loss to Canada in hockey this morning...

I was thinking of these numbers for my lifts:

Squat- 285 - 305 -320
Bench-185 - 205 - 225
Deadlift- 315- 365- 385

The first numbers are easy ones, the second attempts are ones I know I can do, that I normally do for doubles or triples in training, and the 3rd attempts are all gym PR's. I'll take any input as I've never competed before!
Back to top Go down
Andy Awad
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log   Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log Icon_minitimeTue Feb 25, 2014 5:30 pm

First off, it's nice to meet you here on the forum even though we haven't met irl yet. Second, I too would read your first post multiple times.

I think I found the group a little before you did, and it's been great for me. I'm sure you've already found that too.

At the meet, we'll get two attempts, not three. I'm in the same boat as you, as this is my first real meet experience (I did something at my local Y once, which kinda counts, except there weren't really commands to be followed and the bench didn't have to be paused) and I was originally planning to do 3 attempts. yesterday I talked with Kyle about it. His advice to me was to still do a first attempt I feel very confident in, and if I'm feeling good, I can still take a big(ish) jump and go for something big. What I got from our convo was, above all, pick your first attempts to ensure that you don't bottom out and then go from there; and, don't underestimate the atmosphere of being in a meet. It can be quite different from training with all of the commands and all. I think a first attempt that you can confidently hit for a double or triple with strict form (pausing and depth) is probably a good choice for a first attempt. So, you may be able to take your planned first attempt as a last warmup rep and be pretty much good with what you already have planned. But, I'd take advice from the more experienced lifters on the team over mine about this.
Back to top Go down
Quadfather
Class I
Class I
Quadfather

PostSubject: Re: Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log   Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log Icon_minitimeTue Feb 25, 2014 6:12 pm

I agree with everything Andy said; first attempts are recommended to be an easily double or triple and second attempts are in the range of PRs, depending on how you feel.

However, the way i look at it may offer a different perspective but will get you to the same location. Approach the meet as if you were planning to max out. In order to hit the best possible max, you would hit your normal weights in warm ups which would eventually lead to hit your new PR. Now, look at the second attempts as your new max that you want to hit and be reasonable, do not be greedy. Given that the second attempt is the PR attempt, your first attempt should be your last normal warm up.

For example: i am going to guess that your squat PR is 315 based on the attempts you previously listed. Now, if you wanted to max out and break 315, you would probably warm up to 290-300 then go for 320. So 290-300 would be your first and 320 would your second. I hope this helps
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log   Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log
Page 1 of 18Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 9 ... 18  Next