Ultimate Iowa Powerlifting
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Ultimate Iowa Powerlifting

A forum dedicated to powerlifting in Iowa and Iowa City

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Powerlifting Potluck | Saturday, March 29th

Go down 
+3
Keosawa
Nathan Poage
rndchris
7 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
SSchwartsenator
Admin
SSchwartsenator

Powerlifting Potluck | Saturday, March 29th - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Powerlifting Potluck | Saturday, March 29th   Powerlifting Potluck | Saturday, March 29th - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 12, 2014 11:47 pm

Nathan Poage wrote:
Yeah, I think I am literally working all that weekend since I requested Friday-Friday off to drink and womanize.

Lemme know if you need a wingman

Powerlifting Potluck | Saturday, March 29th - Page 2 Weird-topgun
Back to top Go down
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: Powerlifting Potluck | Saturday, March 29th   Powerlifting Potluck | Saturday, March 29th - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 12, 2014 11:50 pm

I would say I could be your wingman, but I don't really remember the last time I talked to a girl.
Back to top Go down
rndchris
Class IV
Class IV
rndchris

PostSubject: Re: Powerlifting Potluck | Saturday, March 29th   Powerlifting Potluck | Saturday, March 29th - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 13, 2014 12:13 am

Although I am going to try to get student org services to provide one, or the centers might even have one lying around.

Why deal with the university providing a table? We can just bring one.
Good

If the potluck is had on Friday the 28th, the hours at the center available to reserve are from 2pm-6pm. The Native-American Latino Center is the one that is available on this day. We could request a 6-8pm timeslot, however, this requires special approval because they have to find somebody employed by the center to work at it while we are there, and we could be denied the timeslot.

So, in other words, this place is out because why the hell would we want some random guy there while we eat? 2pm-6pm obviously does not work.
Regardless of center, there will be a person on duty, which is why friday is constrained. The center usually would close at 6pm. The centers have some fairly nice electronics such as gaming devices, large televisons, and computers that no student org would be trusted alone with.

If the potluck is had on Sunday, it will be on the same day as our next meeting. The LGBT resource center is the one available. I think this is my preferred option. We could have our team practice on Sunday, and after practice go to the LGBT resource center (it is less than a block from the fieldhouse). We could have a brief meeting or a few announcements, and then pig out or vice versa, and then I would plan on reserving the center from 6:30-9pm, although the center is open until 10pm that night.

How is this supposed to work? This requires us to essentially not have a training session or a meeting. What are people supposed to do, bring their food to the training session? Try to shower and cook something in the half hour between the session and 6:30?
Why I asked for input.

I would think of this as being more in lieu of of regular meeting, and would be nice coming off of spring break. Although if there is a large quantity of important information that needs a formal meeting to cover immediately after spring break, then the Sunday idea can be ruled out.

I don't see practice as much of a problem, because usually only 4 people or less show up to the Sunday training session, and only 3 of those 4 train. 1 comes because I begged them to, so that the room isn't as empty. The centers all have a full kitchen, so some food could be cooking while lifting, although with a little planning, food can be prepared to cook early and then heated. If 6:30 is too early, we can set the start time later on this day, the center is open until 10pm

I would like other input on the idea because this involves a day/time switch. I currently favor the Sunday option. The number of hoops to jump through are smaller, the center is a little more open designed, and it makes the weekend a little less over packed with events. I would like to get the reservation form completed tomorrow, but I absolutely need to have it completed and turned on Friday.

How does putting this on Sunday, where we have both a meeting and training session, make the weekend less packed with events? The hoops to jump through are ridiculous no matter which option, and we should avoid dealing with the unversity's crap at all costs.
[/color]
The hoop jumping is already done. I just have to submit the reservation form. It would be less packed because then there would not be an event on every day of the weekend.

TL:DR - The potluck needs to be moved to either Friday or Sunday. Take your pick.

Neither, because both options have dealbreakers in them. We do not have to have this planned out like super fucking right now--the entire point of this is to make it informal and fun for people to come to, and jumping through University bullshit just to get some room isn't fun for anybody. The potluck does not NEED to be moved anywhere--we could do it literally whenever works for the most people.
[/color]
Nobody needs to jump through any hoops except for me, the one planning the event. The hoop jumping is basically done (which was just finding a spot), unless Friday night is preferred. Asking for input is not destroying the informal or fun part of an event that has not happened. If you would like to move the date to a later one, go ahead, but I'd prefer it be concrete, rather than just "later". Keep in mind the idea of a club social came up several times last semester, and has yet to happen, almost 6 months after it's inception.

We might want to actually find a time that works for people before we start filling out forms.
No forms have been submitted, I want to get in before or on Friday because I'm leaving town. I could submit the form online, but that's one more thing I have to remember while I'm dealing with being a busy adult with many important things to do over break, and I don't think hashing out a time needs a week of discussion. Most reservations for any on-campus room need to be done a week ahead of time at minimum.
Back to top Go down
Nathan Poage
Master
Master
Nathan Poage

PostSubject: Re: Powerlifting Potluck | Saturday, March 29th   Powerlifting Potluck | Saturday, March 29th - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 13, 2014 12:21 am

[color intensifies]
Back to top Go down
http://www.lemonparty.com
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Powerlifting Potluck | Saturday, March 29th   Powerlifting Potluck | Saturday, March 29th - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 13, 2014 1:07 am

I'm fine with Sunday. Honestly, regardless of the day you choose, someone's not going to be able to come, so you might want to just go with a day that *usually* works for most of us and run with it.

I sort of think we should propose two or three times up on facebook, invite the 10-15 people that actually attend these things to comment on it, and try to get commitments within the next day or so for one day or another. We'll do our best to satisfy as many regulars as possible, then go with whatever the favored option is. If not everyone can make it, so be it; it'll be incentive to host more social events in the future.

When we've done, say, the UFC nights, we've just picked a date and tried to get as many people over as possible. Sometimes it goes well and sometimes it doesn't. It'll be hard to find a date/time/location that works for everyone, and you'll only accomplish so much here, since very few people from our team will actually end up reading this thread. Why not start a FB event with a date/time/location TBD and poll all invitees with a few options?
Back to top Go down
http://iowapowerlifting.com
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: Powerlifting Potluck | Saturday, March 29th   Powerlifting Potluck | Saturday, March 29th - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 13, 2014 11:48 am

rndchris wrote:

Regardless of center, there will be a person on duty, which is why friday is constrained. The center usually would close at 6pm. The centers have some fairly nice electronics such as gaming devices, large televisons, and computers that no student org would be trusted alone with.[/color]

This is information you did not mention in your first post.

If the potluck is had on Sunday, it will be on the same day as our next meeting. The LGBT resource center is the one available. I think this is my preferred option. We could have our team practice on Sunday, and after practice go to the LGBT resource center (it is less than a block from the fieldhouse). We could have a brief meeting or a few announcements, and then pig out or vice versa, and then I would plan on reserving the center from 6:30-9pm, although the center is open until 10pm that night.

Why I asked for input.

I would think of this as being more in lieu of of regular meeting, and would be nice coming off of spring break. Although if there is a large quantity of important information that needs a formal meeting to cover immediately after spring break, then the Sunday idea can be ruled out.

I don't see practice as much of a problem, because usually only 4 people or less show up to the Sunday training session, and only 3 of those 4 train. 1 comes because I begged them to, so that the room isn't as empty. The centers all have a full kitchen, so some food could be cooking while lifting, although with a little planning, food can be prepared to cook early and then heated. If 6:30 is too early, we can set the start time later on this day, the center is open until 10pm

Again, you did not mention the majority of this (highly pertinent) information. Who is being begged to come to the training sessions? We shouldn't be begging anybody, as these are voluntary and if there are people who need begged to come, then honestly, they shouldn't come. People should be involved in this club because they WANT to. If we were to not have a meeting, that means we go a full month in between meetings. There has always been important information to cover during meetings.

I would like other input on the idea because this involves a day/time switch. I currently favor the Sunday option. The number of hoops to jump through are smaller, the center is a little more open designed, and it makes the weekend a little less over packed with events. I would like to get the reservation form completed tomorrow, but I absolutely need to have it completed and turned on Friday.

The hoop jumping is already done. I just have to submit the reservation form. It would be less packed because then there would not be an event on every day of the weekend.

The hoop jumping is not done, seeing as this thread exists. Seeing as none of this is mandatory, it's not that big of a deal if there is something on every day of the weekend.

Nobody needs to jump through any hoops except for me, the one planning the event. The hoop jumping is basically done (which was just finding a spot), unless Friday night is preferred. Asking for input is not destroying the informal or fun part of an event that has not happened. If you would like to move the date to a later one, go ahead, but I'd prefer it be concrete, rather than just "later". Keep in mind the idea of a club social came up several times last semester, and has yet to happen, almost 6 months after it's inception.

We did something social before the semester began, had a trip to 22nd Street Barbell, went bowling, and there was a UFC night. In addition, there have been smaller social events. I know I've spent more time doing social stuff with members of the club this year than ever before, and by a LARGE margin. I don't know how UFC works, but I'm assuming there will be another one coming up before the end of this semester, as has been mentioned. Also, if the intramural meet and seminar aren't considered social events, I don't know what to say to that.

No forms have been submitted, I want to get in before or on Friday because I'm leaving town. I could submit the form online, but that's one more thing I have to remember while I'm dealing with being a busy adult with many important things to do over break, and I don't think hashing out a time needs a week of discussion. Most reservations for any on-campus room need to be done a week ahead of time at minimum.

The point is that this needs input from the people actually being involved in the event (i.e. not just us).

[/color]

I like the idea of creating an event on Facebook and asking people from there. That way, we get input from more people, and it is more accessible to most. We'll need to create an event on Facebook regardless, so why not do it now?

Putting multiple events into one day is a lot more hectic than spreading it out throughout the entire weekend. Most people can't commit an entire afternoon and evening to the powerlifting club, but they can usually do a couple hours over here and there. Meetings have had much better attendance the last few weeks, and I'm not about to say, "fuck the meeting, see you guys in a month, we don't have anything important to talk about."

Using a university building is a good idea, but we can't do it at the cost of official club business. I would much rather see a Friday training session be replaced than a Sunday training session plus a meeting. Honestly, the best course of action is likely to do it on a weekend in which we don't have a meeting.
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Powerlifting Potluck | Saturday, March 29th   Powerlifting Potluck | Saturday, March 29th - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 13, 2014 12:45 pm

"Who is being begged to come to the training sessions? We shouldn't be begging anybody, as these are voluntary and if there are people who need begged to come, then honestly, they shouldn't come. People should be involved in this club because they WANT to."

I would also like an answer to this question.

Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Powerlifting Potluck | Saturday, March 29th   Powerlifting Potluck | Saturday, March 29th - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 13, 2014 12:49 pm

I understand that this is a lot of work, and I appreciate you taking the time to do this, Chris.

There seems to be some frustrated people in here. I don't know if it's the middle of the semester that's doing it, but let me just remind everyone to relax and take a deep breath.
Back to top Go down
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: Powerlifting Potluck | Saturday, March 29th   Powerlifting Potluck | Saturday, March 29th - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 13, 2014 12:52 pm

The only thing we need to do is slow our roll, get input from as many people as possible, and then come up with a compromise that works for all parties and events involved. We'll be fine--it just takes a bit of time and it's better to go a little too slow than too fast in these situations. We don't have any BIG BIG BIG team business for the rest of the semester, really, so we can afford to slow down a bit in planning everything.
Back to top Go down
rndchris
Class IV
Class IV
rndchris

PostSubject: Re: Powerlifting Potluck | Saturday, March 29th   Powerlifting Potluck | Saturday, March 29th - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 13, 2014 12:54 pm

Chris Anderson wrote:
rndchris wrote:

Regardless of center, there will be a person on duty, which is why friday is constrained. The center usually would close at 6pm. The centers have some fairly nice electronics such as gaming devices, large televisons, and computers that no student org would be trusted alone with.[/color]

This is information you did not mention in your first post.

Why I asked for input.

Again, you did not mention the majority of this (highly pertinent) information. Who is being begged to come to the training sessions? We shouldn't be begging anybody, as these are voluntary and if there are people who need begged to come, then honestly, they shouldn't come. People should be involved in this club because they WANT to. If we were to not have a meeting, that means we go a full month in between meetings. There has always been important information to cover during meetings.

The hoop jumping is not done, seeing as this thread exists. Seeing as none of this is mandatory, it's not that big of a deal if there is something on every day of the weekend.

We did something social before the semester began, had a trip to 22nd Street Barbell, went bowling, and there was a UFC night. In addition, there have been smaller social events. I know I've spent more time doing social stuff with members of the club this year than ever before, and by a LARGE margin. I don't know how UFC works, but I'm assuming there will be another one coming up before the end of this semester, as has been mentioned. Also, if the intramural meet and seminar aren't considered social events, I don't know what to say to that.

The point is that this needs input from the people actually being involved in the event (i.e. not just us).

[/color]

I like the idea of creating an event on Facebook and asking people from there. That way, we get input from more people, and it is more accessible to most. We'll need to create an event on Facebook regardless, so why not do it now?

Putting multiple events into one day is a lot more hectic than spreading it out throughout the entire weekend. Most people can't commit an entire afternoon and evening to the powerlifting club, but they can usually do a couple hours over here and there. Meetings have had much better attendance the last few weeks, and I'm not about to say, "fuck the meeting, see you guys in a month, we don't have anything important to talk about."

Using a university building is a good idea, but we can't do it at the cost of official club business. I would much rather see a Friday training session be replaced than a Sunday training session plus a meeting. Honestly, the best course of action is likely to do it on a weekend in which we don't have a meeting.

Since you feel strongly about the formal meeting that weekend, the potluck will not occur on the sunday option. I created facebook event, and will await times from others, since the weekend after spring break does not appear to work well.
Back to top Go down
rndchris
Class IV
Class IV
rndchris

PostSubject: Re: Powerlifting Potluck | Saturday, March 29th   Powerlifting Potluck | Saturday, March 29th - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 13, 2014 1:00 pm

Kyle Keough wrote:
"Who is being begged to come to the training sessions? We shouldn't be begging anybody, as these are voluntary and if there are people who need begged to come, then honestly, they shouldn't come. People should be involved in this club because they WANT to."

I'll be direct on this question. I begged them to come because I had gone to the previous two practices and been completely alone at practice. I did so for my personal benefit, as a friend, which makes "the who" my personal business.

That said, I have vocalized my thoughts on the Sunday practices and attendance in the past, but doesn't seem to rank very high on the business priorities, which is okay.
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Powerlifting Potluck | Saturday, March 29th   Powerlifting Potluck | Saturday, March 29th - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 13, 2014 1:47 pm

rndchris wrote:
Kyle Keough wrote:

I'll be direct on this question. I begged them to come because I had gone to the previous two practices and been completely alone at practice. I did so for my personal benefit, as a friend, which makes "the who" my personal business.

That said, I have vocalized my thoughts on the Sunday practices and attendance in the past, but doesn't seem to rank very high on the business priorities, which is okay.

Fair enough.
Back to top Go down
KevinAlvy
Elite
Elite
KevinAlvy

PostSubject: Re: Powerlifting Potluck | Saturday, March 29th   Powerlifting Potluck | Saturday, March 29th - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 13, 2014 2:19 pm

tldr

put me down for fruit when this goes down
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Powerlifting Potluck | Saturday, March 29th   Powerlifting Potluck | Saturday, March 29th - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 13, 2014 2:46 pm

KevinAlvy wrote:
tldr

Plot twist:

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
KevinAlvy
Elite
Elite
KevinAlvy

PostSubject: Re: Powerlifting Potluck | Saturday, March 29th   Powerlifting Potluck | Saturday, March 29th - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 13, 2014 4:50 pm

Kyle Keough wrote:
KevinAlvy wrote:
tldr

Plot twist:

[spoiler][img]

I thought you took me off of being an admin?

edit: must be my bb.com platinum account
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Powerlifting Potluck | Saturday, March 29th   Powerlifting Potluck | Saturday, March 29th - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 19, 2014 2:28 am

Brometheus wrote:
rndchris wrote:

-Afro-American Cultural Center
-Asian Pacific American Cultural Center
-Latino American Cultural Center
-LGBT Resource Center

does anyone fit in one of these categories? at least pick one that could resemble even the slightest of accuracy

Well I'm Hispanic and really bristles me that centers like this exist. I think all they do is pigeonhole groups of people.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Powerlifting Potluck | Saturday, March 29th   Powerlifting Potluck | Saturday, March 29th - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 19, 2014 2:30 am

Friday and Sunday are the only days I can likely attend.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Powerlifting Potluck | Saturday, March 29th   Powerlifting Potluck | Saturday, March 29th - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 19, 2014 2:31 am

Is grilling an option? Otherwise I'll just bring a lot of hamburger helper.
Back to top Go down
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: Powerlifting Potluck | Saturday, March 29th   Powerlifting Potluck | Saturday, March 29th - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 19, 2014 3:11 pm

It sounds like we will just do a UFC night instead. We've done it before, it's nice and relaxed, and we don't have to worry about finding a spot.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Powerlifting Potluck | Saturday, March 29th   Powerlifting Potluck | Saturday, March 29th - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Powerlifting Potluck | Saturday, March 29th
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2