Ultimate Iowa Powerlifting
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Ultimate Iowa Powerlifting

A forum dedicated to powerlifting in Iowa and Iowa City

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Chris Anderson's Training Log

Go down 
+9
babyeater
Monty Python
DieselWeasel
Seth
Keosawa
Nathan Poage
KevinAlvy
GFou
Chris Anderson
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15 ... 28  Next
AuthorMessage
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

Chris Anderson's Training Log - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chris Anderson's Training Log   Chris Anderson's Training Log - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 26, 2011 8:18 pm

Haven't done any lifting this week, as I am home for break and the lack of good gym access combined with the need for a deload week resulted in me doing no weight lifting whatsoever.

I was able to get some mat time with my old wrestling team though, as well as some sled dragging on Thanksgiving day.
Back to top Go down
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: Chris Anderson's Training Log   Chris Anderson's Training Log - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 28, 2011 7:14 pm

11/28-upper dynamic

Speed bench: 10x3@135+mini band
DB rows
Cable face pulls
Chins

Finished with ~10 minutes on one of the stationary bikes. My weight has been creeping up lately and I gotta do more conditioning to keep it closer, so I don't have to cut for a meet and potentially lose strength. Diet needs to be tweaked a bit too. More meat, less carbs.
Back to top Go down
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: Chris Anderson's Training Log   Chris Anderson's Training Log - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 29, 2011 9:48 pm

11/29-lower heavy

Rack pulls-495x1, 515x0

Bent rows
RDL's
KB side bends

Felt sluggish today. I slept in pretty damn late today, which is probably why. Also, I just fucking hate rack pulls. They've always been lower than my full deadlift, probably due to my body positioning being different during a rack pull than in a deadlift, and a rack pull doesn't let the bar flex normally.

I'll be switching these up with block pulls every other time, just to change things up more.
Back to top Go down
Nathan Poage
Master
Master
Nathan Poage

PostSubject: Re: Chris Anderson's Training Log   Chris Anderson's Training Log - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 30, 2011 1:47 pm

How does that even work? Are you stronger off the ground than you are at the top? It could be you use the momentum off the ground to finish the pull.
Back to top Go down
http://www.lemonparty.com
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: Chris Anderson's Training Log   Chris Anderson's Training Log - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 30, 2011 2:16 pm

I have a few theories on why my rack pull sucks. Basically, I think it comes down to body positioning and leverages. In a full deadlift, my levers are in a way better position than where they are for a rack pull. I was pulling from my sticking point, so that's a natural weak point for me, which would make sense for why it would be difficult at that area.

I'll max during finals week most likely, so I'll see how this Westside stuff works for me. I'm used to a program like 5/3/1 where I'm constantly doing the main lifts, and now that I'm not doing that, I'm not sure how my body will respond.

I'm stronger at lockout than off the floor, which is what makes this weird. My sticking point is just below my knee, which is where I was doing my rack pulls from.
Back to top Go down
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: Chris Anderson's Training Log   Chris Anderson's Training Log - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 30, 2011 8:49 pm

11/30-upper heavy

Press: worked up to 210x0, came back and got a very ugly 200x1

Pin press
Paused wide grip bench
Dips

Not the best day I've had. I haven't hit a press PR for a while.

Back to top Go down
Nathan Poage
Master
Master
Nathan Poage

PostSubject: Re: Chris Anderson's Training Log   Chris Anderson's Training Log - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 30, 2011 9:19 pm

Chris Anderson wrote:
I'll max during finals week most likely, so I'll see how this Westside stuff works for me. I'm used to a program like 5/3/1 where I'm constantly doing the main lifts, and now that I'm not doing that, I'm not sure how my body will respond.
You should be maxing on variations of the main lifts or the main lifts themselves weekly. Without safety bars and other equipment, it's kind of limited on what you can do, but there's still plenty of lifts to max out on.
Back to top Go down
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: Chris Anderson's Training Log   Chris Anderson's Training Log - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 02, 2011 3:56 pm

12/2-lower body dynamic

Speed squats: 8x2@215+mini bands
Speed deadlifts: 8x2@245+short monster mini bands
Back raises: 3x10+35lb kettlebell
Planks

I'm dropping goblet squats from this day, probably going to add either another low back movement, a glute movement, or another ab movement. Suggestions?

The speed squats felt great, it felt like I was getting better bar speed as the sets went on.

Speed deadlifts with the monster minis under my feet feels...different. I don't really know how to describe it, but I don't like how it feels.

In other news, happy birthday to myself (yesterday) and my mother (today).
Back to top Go down
Nathan Poage
Master
Master
Nathan Poage

PostSubject: Re: Chris Anderson's Training Log   Chris Anderson's Training Log - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 02, 2011 4:18 pm

You might want to add in good mornings, ghr's, lunges or something of that nature.
Back to top Go down
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: Chris Anderson's Training Log   Chris Anderson's Training Log - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 02, 2011 9:33 pm

Good mornings are part of my max-effort rotation. I may go with lunges, though, I've used those before with fairly good success.
Back to top Go down
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: Chris Anderson's Training Log   Chris Anderson's Training Log - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 04, 2011 6:03 pm

12/4- upper body dynamic

Speed bench: 10x3@140+mini band
Chins
Band face pulls
DB rows
DB flies

Notes:
Bench felt good, I felt like I had good bar speed throughout every set.
I did a variety of different grips for chins, I was glad to see that my pronated grip chins have gotten a lot easier, that is my weakest grip.
Flies are going to be a staple now, I never realized how much I neglected by chest until now. I'm embarrassed to say how little weight I used, but I felt that my technique was good, I got a really good stretch out of them.
Back to top Go down
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: Chris Anderson's Training Log   Chris Anderson's Training Log - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 06, 2011 9:14 pm

12/6-lower heavy

Front squats- worked up to 355x1, 375x0 (had it, but it slipped forward halfway up. gotta keep my elbows up), 245x7

Bent rows- 3x5@195
RDL's- 3x5@265
KB side bends 3x10

Really should have had the 375 front squat. Oh well.
Back to top Go down
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: Chris Anderson's Training Log   Chris Anderson's Training Log - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 07, 2011 8:29 pm

12/7-upper heavy

DB bench- worked up to 105'sx3, dropped down to 75's 12 (left a couple in the tank)
Pin press- 225x23, clustered (these were one hole higher than I usually go)
Paused wide grip bench- 3x5@175
Dips 3x10

12 minutes on the elliptical to finish things off, level 10@~75rpm.

EDIT: Also, I ran out of whey today. If anybody has a GNC Gold Card or something I could use to buy a pound, or even wants to sell me enough to last me until break, that would be greatly appreciated.
Back to top Go down
Nathan Poage
Master
Master
Nathan Poage

PostSubject: Re: Chris Anderson's Training Log   Chris Anderson's Training Log - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 07, 2011 9:11 pm

You should have gone to the weightlifting club organizational meeting. They give them out for FREEEEEE! I got one last year, but it's probably expired by now. Check out purebulk.com
Back to top Go down
Nathan Poage
Master
Master
Nathan Poage

PostSubject: Re: Chris Anderson's Training Log   Chris Anderson's Training Log - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 07, 2011 9:22 pm

Chris Anderson wrote:

Front squats- worked up to 355x1, 375x0 (had it, but it slipped forward halfway up. gotta keep my elbows up), 245x7
Really should have had the 375 front squat. Oh well.
Try this. http://www.mobilitywod.com/2011/10/episode-331365-compare-sides-and-make-sure-you-see-the-change.html
Back to top Go down
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: Chris Anderson's Training Log   Chris Anderson's Training Log - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 11, 2011 3:16 pm

Going to test my maxes this week. Will do a bit of speed work with straight weight as well, but no assistance lifts. Squatting today in about 45 minutes, benching Tuesday, then deadlifting Wednesday or Thursday.
Back to top Go down
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: Chris Anderson's Training Log   Chris Anderson's Training Log - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 11, 2011 5:42 pm

12/11- squat test day

45x5
135x3
225x3
285x2-belt on
315x1
350x1
385x1-wraps on
425x1
445x1
475x1-PR, depth was maybe a tiny bit high, but should pass in a meet
485x0-went too deep, couldn't get it out of the hole

I still have ~5 months to get to 500, I'm feeling pretty good about it. I think about 14 weeks out I'll start a peaking program to work up to it, something like this:
http://joeskopec.com/coancalc.html

And just switch to a 3 day a week program based around bench, squat, and dead. Just a thought. The only problem with that is that I won't have much room for dynamic work.
Back to top Go down
Nathan Poage
Master
Master
Nathan Poage

PostSubject: Re: Chris Anderson's Training Log   Chris Anderson's Training Log - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 11, 2011 8:39 pm

You may want to experiment with warming up with really light weights more and then do singles up to about 60-65% of your current max and then go balls out. It'll keep you more fresh for your max attempts. If you want to hit 500 fast, try Smolov. It added 35 lbs in three weeks for me.
Back to top Go down
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: Chris Anderson's Training Log   Chris Anderson's Training Log - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 11, 2011 8:48 pm

Eh, my squat is my best relative lift, no need to do something like Smolov and risk losing poundage on my other lifts, especially my already shitty bench. I'm pretty confident I'll get 500 well in time for the April meet.
Back to top Go down
Nathan Poage
Master
Master
Nathan Poage

PostSubject: Re: Chris Anderson's Training Log   Chris Anderson's Training Log - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 11, 2011 8:57 pm

Dude, I'm the king of shitty benches. My strategy is to go ape shit on squats, hopefully raising my deadlift by a respectable amount in the process. With any luck, the general strength I gain from squats will add a little bit to bench. It seems to be easier to quickly add weight to squats so you could probably get to 550+ by April.
Back to top Go down
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: Chris Anderson's Training Log   Chris Anderson's Training Log - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 13, 2011 2:33 pm

Testing bench today around 4. i so excite
Back to top Go down
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: Chris Anderson's Training Log   Chris Anderson's Training Log - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 13, 2011 5:19 pm

Bench test day:
45xlots
95x5
110x5
125x3
135x2
165x1
185x1
225x1
245x1
280x1-PR

Five pound PR over my previous gym PR, and 16lb's over my best competition bench. I had a slight pause at the bottom, not sure if it would pass in a meet though.

Going to test deadlift tomorrow. 525 would give me a gym total of 1300. Not sure if I'll get that, but you bet your ass I'm gonna try. I barely missed 524 in October, so as long as I have decent bar speed and plan my warmups carefully, I think I can get it.
Back to top Go down
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: Chris Anderson's Training Log   Chris Anderson's Training Log - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 14, 2011 6:04 pm

12/14- deadlift test day

135xlots
225x5
275x3
295x2
315x1
365x1
405x1
455x1
515x1- PR
525x1- PR

Gives me a 1300 gym total. Given that my goal for my April meet is 1335 (500/285/550), I'm feeling pretty good. By the time April rolls around, I should be able to get these lifts, with competition pauses and commands, pretty easily.

I changed my form/setup ever so slightly today, too. In a nutshell, I made it so I get more leg drive off the floor and start the pull quicker, instead of taking the "slack" out of the bar, for more bar speed.
Back to top Go down
Nathan Poage
Master
Master
Nathan Poage

PostSubject: Re: Chris Anderson's Training Log   Chris Anderson's Training Log - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 14, 2011 11:54 pm

Chris Anderson wrote:
I changed my form/setup ever so slightly today, too. In a nutshell, I made it so I get more leg drive off the floor and start the pull quicker, instead of taking the "slack" out of the bar, for more bar speed.
So you started with your ass lower?
Back to top Go down
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: Chris Anderson's Training Log   Chris Anderson's Training Log - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 15, 2011 2:36 pm

Ass lower, slightly wider stance, toes pointing out a bit more, and taking less time pulling the "slack" out of the bar during the set up. As soon as I got my grip set, I pulled it. I'm also starting to pull backwards a bit more now, to help prevent my hips from rising too fast.

Small things, but so far they're helping.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Chris Anderson's Training Log   Chris Anderson's Training Log - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Chris Anderson's Training Log
Page 2 of 28Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15 ... 28  Next