Ultimate Iowa Powerlifting
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Ultimate Iowa Powerlifting

A forum dedicated to powerlifting in Iowa and Iowa City

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

***READ*** University of Iowa Intramural Powerlifting Competition

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

***READ*** University of Iowa Intramural Powerlifting Competition Empty
PostSubject: ***READ*** University of Iowa Intramural Powerlifting Competition   ***READ*** University of Iowa Intramural Powerlifting Competition Icon_minitimeFri Dec 07, 2012 9:01 pm

Hi everyone,

Today, we met with members from recreational services for a half-hour meeting to discuss the possibility of an intramural powerlifting competition in the spring. Here is the progress we've made thus far. Keep in mind that nothing here is set in stone, though I feel confident that these decisions will remain in place.

First, the proposal is for a full powerlifting competition to be held in the spring of 2013 (the suggested date is Feb. 28th). This will be a full powerlifting competition, which means squat, bench press, and deadlift. There will be one male and one female winner, likely determined by Wilks formula.

Sign-ups will be on-site, on that day. It will be held from 6-9 in the CRWC. The hope is to reserve all three of the power stations away from the mirrors for this competition; we'd ideally have one or two stations for warm-ups, and one or two stations for competition. We would be supplying a lot of the labor, and we'd hopefully be able to get a few of our lifters to try it as a first meet.

It will run much like a regular powerlifting meet, with flights and three attempts. There will be one flight, capped likely at 15, and another made if entries exceed that cap. Ideally, we would have enough staff to run two flights simultaneously.

The meet would have to be done in three hours; the timeline would be squat, 6-7, bench press, 7-8, and deadlift, 8-9. For a 15-person flight, that means 45 minutes for the flight, and 15 minutes for warm-ups.

We'll be supplying them with a rulebook as well, or at least assisting in creating one. Seth and Nate will take the lead on this one, and they're going to be coming up with all the things that we need to do in order for this meet to be a success. I'll be in the loop to give as much assistance as is needed.

That's about all I have so far. Remember that nothing is set in stone yet. If you know anyone who would be interested in competing--or if you yourself would be interested--consider it. We will definitely need volunteers to help run the meet, but this would be a great first meet for those who haven't competed before. FYI, I turned down RUM and the FitExpo just to compete in it.

Back to top Go down
http://iowapowerlifting.com
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: ***READ*** University of Iowa Intramural Powerlifting Competition   ***READ*** University of Iowa Intramural Powerlifting Competition Icon_minitimeFri Dec 07, 2012 9:24 pm

I'll volunteer to help.
Back to top Go down
GFou
Class II
Class II
GFou

PostSubject: Re: ***READ*** University of Iowa Intramural Powerlifting Competition   ***READ*** University of Iowa Intramural Powerlifting Competition Icon_minitimeFri Dec 07, 2012 9:27 pm

I'll volunteer to be the male winner....as long as cheater wraps aren't allowed in this federation.
Back to top Go down
KevinAlvy
Elite
Elite
KevinAlvy

PostSubject: Re: ***READ*** University of Iowa Intramural Powerlifting Competition   ***READ*** University of Iowa Intramural Powerlifting Competition Icon_minitimeFri Dec 07, 2012 9:28 pm

GFou wrote:

I'll volunteer to be the male winner....as long as cheater wraps aren't allowed in this federation.

yeah

is this going to be natty or non natty?
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: ***READ*** University of Iowa Intramural Powerlifting Competition   ***READ*** University of Iowa Intramural Powerlifting Competition Icon_minitimeSat Dec 08, 2012 12:17 am

KevinAlvy wrote:
GFou wrote:

yeah

is this going to be natty or non natty?

We didn't discuss this. I suppose my thinking is that most of the lifters that do this won't even know what wraps are. I don't think we need to tell people to leave their Titan Centurions at home, either.

I would say that we specify in the rules that you're not allowed to use wraps, if only because it adds time to each attempt when you're waiting for someone to finish wrapping. But I don't think you're going to have too many lifters who would even think to use wraps. Honestly, I'd be more concerned with making it clear that something like lifting straps aren't legal.
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: ***READ*** University of Iowa Intramural Powerlifting Competition   ***READ*** University of Iowa Intramural Powerlifting Competition Icon_minitimeSat Dec 08, 2012 12:19 am

Another way of putting it is that there are basically two people in all of the CRWC who regularly squat in wraps. One won't be here, and the other is me. If there are others, I haven't seen them.
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: ***READ*** University of Iowa Intramural Powerlifting Competition   ***READ*** University of Iowa Intramural Powerlifting Competition Icon_minitimeSat Dec 08, 2012 12:20 am

Chris Anderson wrote:
I'll volunteer to help.

We will need plenty of that. This will be fun for us, but a well-run meet takes a lot of work, so nobody should take this lightly.
Back to top Go down
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: ***READ*** University of Iowa Intramural Powerlifting Competition   ***READ*** University of Iowa Intramural Powerlifting Competition Icon_minitimeSat Dec 08, 2012 12:54 pm

KKeough wrote:
Another way of putting it is that there are basically two people in all of the CRWC who regularly squat in wraps. One won't be here, and the other is me. If there are others, I haven't seen them.

lol
Back to top Go down
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: ***READ*** University of Iowa Intramural Powerlifting Competition   ***READ*** University of Iowa Intramural Powerlifting Competition Icon_minitimeSat Dec 08, 2012 12:54 pm

KKeough wrote:
Chris Anderson wrote:
I'll volunteer to help.

We will need plenty of that. This will be fun for us, but a well-run meet takes a lot of work, so nobody should take this lightly.

and lol
Back to top Go down
DieselWeasel
Class IV
Class IV

PostSubject: Re: ***READ*** University of Iowa Intramural Powerlifting Competition   ***READ*** University of Iowa Intramural Powerlifting Competition Icon_minitimeTue Dec 11, 2012 12:24 pm

Will there be a cash purse?
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: ***READ*** University of Iowa Intramural Powerlifting Competition   ***READ*** University of Iowa Intramural Powerlifting Competition Icon_minitimeTue Dec 11, 2012 12:39 pm

DieselWeasel wrote:
Will there be a cash purse?

Winner gets to leave. The rest only get to enter.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: ***READ*** University of Iowa Intramural Powerlifting Competition   ***READ*** University of Iowa Intramural Powerlifting Competition Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

***READ*** University of Iowa Intramural Powerlifting Competition
Page 1 of 1