Ultimate Iowa Powerlifting
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Ultimate Iowa Powerlifting

A forum dedicated to powerlifting in Iowa and Iowa City

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

David Petersen's Log

Go down 
+7
zchaib
Nathan Poage
Quadfather
Seth
Chris Anderson
Keosawa
David Petersen
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 12 ... 17  Next
AuthorMessage
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

David Petersen's Log - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   David Petersen's Log - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 25, 2013 11:24 pm

Chris Anderson wrote:
Coffee is for the olympic lifting faggots that I see all the time at the CRWC.
I should really monitor read everyone's logs more often.
Back to top Go down
http://iowapowerlifting.com
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   David Petersen's Log - Page 7 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 26, 2013 8:13 am

Coffee itself isn't bad--but when you're an oly weirdo that leaves your crap all over the platform and you don't put away your weights, you aren't allowed to have a goddam open coffee container in the CRWC.
Back to top Go down
David Petersen
Class II
Class II
David Petersen

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   David Petersen's Log - Page 7 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 26, 2013 6:26 pm

8/26/13
Deadlift: 340
255x5
290x3
320x1+..did 3. My first rep was terrrrrrible
320x1+..did 8

Front Squats 135x3x5

Ran out of time had to get to work.

Notes: Experimenting with time and using this week to figure out how long I need/where I can fit in sessions.

So deadlifting was interesting today...My first rep on my first AMAP attempt was ungodly slow and fucked me in the head...Second was just as slow, third one was better but it was just a bad set at this point (mentally). I picked up the 4th one, and just let it go after I got it to my knees.... My training partner didn't know what happened, thought maybe I hurt myself...Nope, just being a total bitch....I'm not sure what happened, maybe I was overconfident and that first rep just fucked me?...Maybe too timid? I don't know...I took some time to get myself refocused and took a second attempt at the AMAP....Obviously had better results, but my first rep was still ungodly slow...I need to figure this out...Something about when I put the bar back on the ground, I seem to have a better ability to snap later in sets...Maybe it is all mental? Maybe I just am a total bitch on my first rep because I "know" I can get it...Don't know...Will give this some thought, maybe try some different things for working sets (totally resetting, scatter sets like kyle, or maybe just more singles??)....Brian also mentioned how the reps on my x8 looked pretty different..Sometimes I was firing glutes/sometimes I wasn't, sometimes had rounded back/sometimes arched, tucking the neck sometimes, hips sometimes high/sometimes low....I didn't really give a fuck on that set...I wanted a respectable number and didn't care how I got it.

Second Note: I really don't think my speed off the floor is strength oriented (at this point)...and it is more mental...My speed off the floor is better as the set goes on, and even on my final reps my speed is comparable to my very first rep....
Back to top Go down
David Petersen
Class II
Class II
David Petersen

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   David Petersen's Log - Page 7 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 26, 2013 7:34 pm

Alsoo

Forgot to ask about this last night at the meeting...November will be my first meet, and the advice I am getting is compete at a class that will require little work on the cutting front...I've been an unhealthy pig the last few weeks and am breaking the 190 barrier with a full stomach. Realistically, if I cleaned up my diet I could probably make 181 fairly easy (before this sugar-streak hit I was in at about 182-185)...buttt I'm not sure I want to worry about my diet at all right now (not that I don't care what I eat, I mean I want weight to be the last thing I think about during meet prep). The original plan to compete at 165 181, now looks like 198...I'll be light, but no reason why not to compete in a class if even if I am undersized right? Also if I do clean up the diet and just happen to weigh-in on weight for the 181 class (even after registering 198), I won't get in trouble or anything like that will I?
Back to top Go down
KevinAlvy
Elite
Elite
KevinAlvy

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   David Petersen's Log - Page 7 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 26, 2013 7:39 pm

Idk if you have mentioned it, but if you are doing 8 reps on the 1+ day shouldn't you be upping your max a bit faster?
Back to top Go down
David Petersen
Class II
Class II
David Petersen

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   David Petersen's Log - Page 7 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 26, 2013 7:55 pm

KevinAlvy wrote:
Idk if you have mentioned it, but if you are doing 8 reps on the 1+ day shouldn't you be upping your max a bit faster?
This was an issue I tried to address with the mock-meet in July...Reset my maxes and base my training max (90% of 1RM) off that. Sorta successful for the squat and bench...Although my deadlift mock meet total was 350, and then I proceed to hit that for a triple (on a Joker set) 3-weeks after the mock meet....

At this point, my opinion is not to worry too about it so much....I was doing these type of AMAPs for most of my training cycle before my mock-meet in November. And I posted a 200+# gain mark on my total in 7 months (6 months of training).

I do however think you have a point, even if I am seeing gainz, I may be able to still squeeze out more if I handle some weight closer to my true 1RM....The interim solution is to add some Joker Sets where I feel I can handle them. I guess right now dealing with a "sub-max-max" has gotten me fairly good results, and I am not really prepared to make any huge changes on something that has worked (10# increase on squat/deadlift training max a cycle and 5# on OHP and bench).

Despite the above I think the "don't fix what isn't broken" cliche is sometimes overused...There can be room for improvement, and just because you are doing well, doesn't mean you shouldn't try to improve...I actually had never thought about adjusting the RATE at which I increase my training max (especially for the run-away gainz train that is my deadlift). You have given me something I will certainly consider.
Back to top Go down
David Petersen
Class II
Class II
David Petersen

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   David Petersen's Log - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 27, 2013 6:09 pm

8/27/13
OHP: 130
100x5
110x3
125x1+ did 5. hit my chin on 3rd rep...

Bench
135x8x3

Face Pulls
60x3x12

SS
Hammer Curls
25x3x10
Rope Pulldowns
3x60x15

Notes: The OHP AMAP is a PR. I've done 130x4 so this and 125x4. So this is small progress, but still good. I'll be eager to see how I do once I approach my true 1RM. Also on the third rep of the top set I knocked my chin with the bar and the bar got out infront of me...I still locked it out, but it cost me a lot of energy to get it locked out, and I might have been able to do more had that not happened.

Bench work. I took 135 (70% of my mock meet bench) and just pushed it as fast as I could with good pauses. I'm still sorta figuring out the best thing to do for my bench on OHP day. I might steal the cube idea and alternate between a rep day, speed day, and heavy day. There are three weeks in the 5/3/1 cycle so this would fit nicely. The only thing I will have to make sure I don't do is a heavy day the same week I hit my 1+ day.

Rope pulldowns for the first time since I broke my wrist. Inb4 huge tricep gainzzzzz.
Back to top Go down
Seth
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   David Petersen's Log - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 28, 2013 10:21 pm

I would just eat you're way into the meet and compete wherever you weigh in. Focus on putting up numbers you're happy with. You won't be penalized if you don't make weight, you would just compete in the next weight class up. As far as the numbers you're hitting on your AMAP sets, are you going balls out or leaving a rep or two in the tank?
Back to top Go down
David Petersen
Class II
Class II
David Petersen

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   David Petersen's Log - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 29, 2013 12:31 am

8/28/13

Squat: 310

Warm Up

Belt
230x5
265x3
295x1+ did 3. First one was balls slow. I regrouped and my second and third reps looked much better.
Wraps
315x1
325x1

Hamstring curls 80x3x12

Leg Raises 3x12

Curls 3x15...my biceps were bothering me

Notes:

So Ws are my hell day to begin with. I really didn't plan on training today but while sitting in lecture listening to the prof go over the nuts-and-bolts of the class I got super pumped to go squat. So I left class with 20 minutes left, and went to the gym. Maybe not the best choice, as I worked right after I trained, outside, in the sun, next to hot engine compartment, and also am closing till 1:30... As I write this I am wondering if I am still alive, and still have another hour of work left....whatever...

I was pretty excited about this 325 which is a 10# PR. More excited about how quickly I am working into the wraps. Each week it seems like I get better with them. My speed both in and out of the hole is WAY better than when I started, and improved from the last time I squatted with wraps. I feel like I could have handeled more weight, but didn't want to push it too far. I also was a little short on time, because I had to work.
Back to top Go down
David Petersen
Class II
Class II
David Petersen

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   David Petersen's Log - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 29, 2013 12:42 am

Seth wrote:
I would just eat you're way into the meet and compete wherever you weigh in.  Focus on putting up numbers you're happy with.  You won't be penalized if you don't make weight, you would just compete in the next weight class up.  As far as the numbers you're hitting on your AMAP sets, are you going balls out or leaving a rep or two in the tank?
When I started 5/3/1 I was sure to always leave one or two reps in the tank. I have slowly moved towards pushing myself closer to failure (probably 9-10 RPE on every AMAP most probably 9.5-10), but I am always cautious of failure, and if I don't think I can handle another rep I cut it off. I've had a couple failures (one on bench, and one on squat that I can remember off the top of my head). Also on my most recent deadlift AMAP I dropped the weight after 3 reps, which was underperforming. Came back, and did it for 8. It sorta depends on the day I guess. I try to stay away from missed reps, but shit happens I guess.
Back to top Go down
David Petersen
Class II
Class II
David Petersen

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   David Petersen's Log - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 30, 2013 11:25 am

8/29/13
Bench: 190
145x5
160x3
180x1+ Did 4.
This set sucked so bad to look at. My first rep came to about my chin, and I somehow got it back in a groove without ending my lifting career. My second and third reps were not pretty either. My fourth rep actually was my best as far as barpath, and drive off the chest. Because of this I went for a 5th. The bar came back towards my head off my chest. Spotter bailed me out.

T-Bar Rows 90x3x12

Notes: The combination of little sleep, probably dehydrated, and allergies made this day suck. I was achy during the entire bench session. I just felt slow in general, and really tired. I'm not sure if this means I need to take a day, or if it is just a reflection of the somewhat not ideal circumstances brought on by the first week of class/these fucking allergies.
Depending on how I feel today I'll either do accessory work or deadlift.
Back to top Go down
David Petersen
Class II
Class II
David Petersen

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   David Petersen's Log - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 30, 2013 7:38 pm

8/30/13
Dead: 350
While I was warming up Grant mentioned the mental aspect of the deadlift. This ended up being an issue on my Joker set. Thinking back to my warm ups now I don’t think they were as fast as they normally are. The lack of speed was what caused Grant to mention something. Soooo, pull with some speed....
230x5
265x5
295x5+ did 10

Joker
315xmiss. Janis and Kyle comment. Rushed it.
315x5. Left a couple in the tank but probably would not have been able to mimic my PR. The plan was to do 315 for a single and do a couple extra Joker Set singles at a higher weight.  I was pissed after I missed it so I just hit it for 5 and called it good.

Goodmornings 115x5x5 115x3x10

Back raises bw 1x15 3x15 with 25
Sit ups 3x20

Notes:
I have a lot here…
So I have for a couple days now been telling myself I need a day off. I was suppose to take one today but I really wanted to train with the team. My body hates me right-now. I was almost expecting to underperform, which obviously isn’t good….I’d call this a learning experience, but I knew better, and trained anyways.

Other than Grant’s comment I got two pieces of good feedback after bombing 315. Janis mentioned I have the tendency to pull with the bar fairly far from my shins, causing horizontal bar movement, and throwing me off balance. I will be sure to keep an eye on where the bar is when I start. Kyle was mentioning to another lifter the ability to stick with a lift and not give up just because it doesn’t move right away. This is a gigantic issue for me. This is the second time this month I’ve bailed on the first rep, only to come back and hit it for reps. I don’t think it is a timid issue. I think I am just expecting the bar to fly up, and when it doesn’t I get fucked.

As per usual my reps felt better the deeper I got in my AMAP and the 315.

I’m glad people said stuff when they did, as it helped. I don’t except, or want, yes men/women. So if you see something you think I am doing wrong, tell me.
Back to top Go down
David Petersen
Class II
Class II
David Petersen

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   David Petersen's Log - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 30, 2013 7:57 pm

I also just realized I have to choose between training groups on Sunday... Sad
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   David Petersen's Log - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 31, 2013 3:27 pm

Seth wrote:
I would just eat you're way into the meet and compete wherever you weigh in.  Focus on putting up numbers you're happy with.  You won't be penalized if you don't make weight, you would just compete in the next weight class up.  As far as the numbers you're hitting on your AMAP sets, are you going balls out or leaving a rep or two in the tank?
Agreed with this advice on weight classes. If you're between weights, sign up for the higher of the two; if you happen to come in a weight class lighter, they will very, very, very likely put you in the lighter weight class (I haven't heard of or seen any occasions in which this hasn't been the case).

My vote would be for you to sign up at 198, and go 181 if you find you're in a real position to do so.
Back to top Go down
http://iowapowerlifting.com
David Petersen
Class II
Class II
David Petersen

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   David Petersen's Log - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 01, 2013 6:10 pm

9/1/13
OHP: 135
90x5
100x5
115x5+ did 9.

Bench 135x5x5 (flat back, feet flat)

Superset
Lat pulldowns 100x3x12
Face pulls 60x3x12
Superset
Straight bar curl 40x3x12
Rope pulldown 60x3x12

Notes:

After reading some other logs, and thinking about my own training, I am going to keep benching heavy after pressing, but I am not going to use an arch/tuck my feet on this day. I am also going to pause every rep on this day. The plan for increasing intensity for this will be as follows: 5s week: 5x5 at 70%, 3s week: 5x3 at 80%, and on my 5/3/1 week: 5x1: at 90%. This is straight off Prilepin's chart using 195 as the max (which is my current training max for my normal 5/3/1 bench day as well).
Back to top Go down
David Petersen
Class II
Class II
David Petersen

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   David Petersen's Log - Page 7 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 02, 2013 7:15 pm

9/2/13
Squat: 320
Belt—maybe loosen this one notch. It is really starting to get tight.
210x5
240x5
275x5+ did 5. 5lb PR at # of reps. Good fight.
Joker set
Wraps
305x1...not a good set up, rep felt good.

SS
Prone Hamstring curls 90x3x12
Leg Ext 40x3x12

SS
Low Back Raises 3x12
Leg Raises 3x12

Notes:
So my warm-ups felt okay. 240 felt pretty heavy, and I got in my head a little bit about missing 275x5. My hips were coming up well before my chest on a few reps at 240, and on 275, but with sub-maximal weight I was able to just power through it. When I focused on keeping my upper back tight I was able to keep the chest up. Also my knees were coming in a bit. My glutes/hamstrings were still a little out of it from 10 sets of good mornings on deadlift day. Today was a good fight for my prescribed reps.

305----I had a hell of a time getting my wraps on today (and they were badddd). Had some trouble unracking the weight/walking it out. Over the course of the last few cycles I have moved the bar maybe a half inch to an inch down on my back. The rep itself was fairly easy and felt good.

Meta-thing….
I’ve noticed this on both my deadlift and squat days…. As I move my training maxes closer to my actual max I need to keep in mind the weight is going to get more challenging. This is rather obvious, but I think I forget this and/or take the weight for granted. This has manifested itself in my deadlift as missing first reps on totally manageable weights. For the squat it is being surprised at how heavy a weight is when I unrack it. I just mentally need to make sure I am prepared for these lifts.  Yes I am a runaway gainz train at the moment, but being overconfident can come back to bite me in the ass.
Back to top Go down
David Petersen
Class II
Class II
David Petersen

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   David Petersen's Log - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 03, 2013 6:38 pm

9/3/13
Bench: 195
135x5
150x5
165x5+ did 10..Rep PR

Barbell rows 95x5 135x5 1852x5
Pendlay rows 185x3x5
SS
Lat pulldown 110x3x12
Face pulls seated 40x3x12
SS
Hammer curls 25x3x10
Rope pulldowns 50x15 60x15 80x12 100xdirty10

Meadows row
One platex3x8

Notes: I warmed up quicker/less rest on working sets because I was benching with Brian and Cody who were working up to over 300, and I didn’t want to hold them up too much. I liked this. I felt pretty good. I might keep the less rest time between bench sets.
Back to top Go down
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   David Petersen's Log - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 03, 2013 11:46 pm

http://articles.elitefts.com/training-articles/training-logs-do-more-than-just-track/

When were you going to tell us about this?
Back to top Go down
David Petersen
Class II
Class II
David Petersen

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   David Petersen's Log - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 03, 2013 11:57 pm

Chris Anderson wrote:
http://articles.elitefts.com/training-articles/training-logs-do-more-than-just-track/

When were you going to tell us about this?

Haha, I submitted this about a month ago. They did a tiny bit of editing, I won't lie.

"If I miss a lift, I take two steps back, adjust my assistance work accordingly, and then take 10 steps forward." Is nowhere in the original article, Haha.

Also they created that evernote page, pretty cool actually. I had just sent them in the text and numbers, but they put it into that neat little picture.
Back to top Go down
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   David Petersen's Log - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 04, 2013 12:00 am

I've thought about submitting a few things to them, but honestly, the quality of their articles has gone down in such a dramatic fashion that I almost wouldn't want to say they published anything of mine.
Back to top Go down
David Petersen
Class II
Class II
David Petersen

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   David Petersen's Log - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 04, 2013 12:06 am

Chris Anderson wrote:
I've thought about submitting a few things to them, but honestly, the quality of their articles has gone down in such a dramatic fashion that I almost wouldn't want to say they published anything of mine.
Despite my excitement about getting on there, I do agree with you. A lot of random articles, and some I'm not sure I agree with. In recent memory, the article about warm-ups was pretty not-so-great in my opinion.
Back to top Go down
babyeater
Class II
Class II
babyeater

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   David Petersen's Log - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 04, 2013 12:36 am

An article that's kind of...uh...about me is supposed to be published on there in a while. I'm not really sure, perhaps a month or so. I don't even know what what say about it right now. But you guys have been warned.
Back to top Go down
http://www.babyeaterlifts.wordpress.com
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   David Petersen's Log - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 04, 2013 11:35 am

pics or it didnt happen
Back to top Go down
Nathan Poage
Master
Master
Nathan Poage

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   David Petersen's Log - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 04, 2013 12:16 pm

Chris Anderson wrote:
Yeah, once that Keosawa hack started pumping out articles....
Back to top Go down
http://www.lemonparty.com
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   David Petersen's Log - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 04, 2013 4:02 pm

Nathan Poage wrote:

Yeah, once that Keosawa hack pumped out an article

FTFY
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   David Petersen's Log - Page 7 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

David Petersen's Log
Page 7 of 17Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 12 ... 17  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Ultimate Iowa Powerlifting :: General :: Training Logs-
Jump to: