Ultimate Iowa Powerlifting
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Ultimate Iowa Powerlifting

A forum dedicated to powerlifting in Iowa and Iowa City

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

David Petersen's Log

Go down 
+7
zchaib
Nathan Poage
Quadfather
Seth
Chris Anderson
Keosawa
David Petersen
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 11 ... 17  Next
AuthorMessage
David Petersen
Class II
Class II
David Petersen

David Petersen's Log - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   David Petersen's Log - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 15, 2013 1:37 am

O and deadlift bar is on its way to 319
Back to top Go down
David Petersen
Class II
Class II
David Petersen

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   David Petersen's Log - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 17, 2013 7:26 pm

8/17/13
OHP: 130
85x5
100x5
110x5+ did 9

Bench Press
barx5, 65x5, 95x5, 115x5, 135x5, 155x5
Thought about 5 pound jumpx5 or a 10 pound jump for 3 but decided I should ease into benching 2x a week. These felt really good though.

Superset pulldowns 100 w/ facepulls 60 3x12
Arms 3x12

Notes: I didn't want to take two days off, but I got left in DSM (yes left/forgotten) so yesterday become another off day. Megabus to the rescue!!!! I was super achy and didn't feel right during warm ups. Turned out to be an okay day OHPing but felt like I left some out there...However....benching felt good. 155 moved a lot faster than I anticipated. I really was focusing on trying to push through my heels to get this "leg drive" thing people talk about, but totally forgot all about my lower body on my 135/155 sets.
Back to top Go down
David Petersen
Class II
Class II
David Petersen

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   David Petersen's Log - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 18, 2013 3:49 pm

8/18/13
Squat: 310
barxa bunch
95x5
135x5
160x3
185xhah funnyx0
Work
200x5
Belt
235x5...Collins comment on wrist
265x5+ did 7.

Good Mornings 150x2x5

Hamstrings 3x12-15
Lowback 3x12
Abs 3x12

Notes:
185..I loaded the bar wrong (25 one side, and 10/5 on the other from 160)...Walked it out and looked like an idiot...Fixed it. I guess mentally had it in my head that it was still different cause it felt super weird...I just said fuck it, skipped 185, and jumped right into my working sets.
235...Collins mentioned how I should try to curl my wrist over and curl the bar into my back...I tried this a couple times just walking 265 out, and the difference in my upper back tightness was ridiculously evident...I did not try to do it on my actually 265 set, but this is going to be something I need to do when I squat...Starting with my warmups...

Biceps are on fire...Use Collins advice as the way I grip the bar now actually means there is a lot more tension on the bicep because I allow it to pull my wrist back, which pulls on my bicep at the elbow.
Back to top Go down
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   David Petersen's Log - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 18, 2013 11:55 pm

who is collins
Back to top Go down
David Petersen
Class II
Class II
David Petersen

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   David Petersen's Log - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 19, 2013 12:23 am

Chris Anderson wrote:
who is collins
Brian Collins. From the quad cities originally (I think). *someone I train with/next to at 319 fitness
Back to top Go down
David Petersen
Class II
Class II
David Petersen

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   David Petersen's Log - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 19, 2013 5:08 pm

8/19/13
Bench 190
125x5
145x5
160x5+ did 7 TnG.
Joker Set
185x1 (95% of true 1RM). Came down rough, was planning on pausing it but I knew it would not come off my chest if I did, so I just TnG.

Face Pulls 60x3x15
Wide DB Rows 60x3x8

SuperSet
Hammer Curls 3x12
Pushdowns 3x12
Back to top Go down
David Petersen
Class II
Class II
David Petersen

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   David Petersen's Log - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 20, 2013 6:25 pm

8/20/13
Deadlift: 340
warm ups
Belt
240x3
275x3
305x3+ did 11... The last 3 reps I did a baby shrug at the top to get it locked out (right side only?). I'm not totally sure if I had them locked out before the shrug or not. I know you basically just have to be in a straight line/shoulders in line with hips. I tend to overextend a little bit on my warm ups and if I am subconsciously trying to get to the same spot on my heavy sets the shrugs might have been unneeded...Two comments from the group. 1) My hips were a lot higher than they usually are, and on my last couple reps I was rounding the back 2) My shoulders are uneven and I come up almost uneven (I was told the shrugging was only on the right side as the left shoulder was pretty much locked out, and I would only shrug on the right side). I am not sure if this was due to the deadlift bar "whip" or something else. This hasn't been an issue before, but now that I'm learning to pull with some speed off the floor I might be finding an actual weak spot in my strength curve. This instead of just being a giant pussy off the floor (where my deadlift use to always fail). Something to keep an eye on in the future.
Front Squats 135x5x5
Hams 90x3x12
Back Raises 3x12
Sit ups 3x12
Arms and Face Pulls really light just for a pump.

Notes: One thing I have noticed is I spend a really long time on my big lifts. I realize they are the bread and butter, but I am slightly worried about how long I spend in the gym, and how long I will be able to spend in the gym once the school year starts. My training sessions are usually 2 hours or slightly longer. I am training almost every day with an occasional day off, and no deload weeks. I feel fine, but I don't think this is sustainable once class starts. My plan is to train 4 days in a 7 day week (5 if I feel like I can) and on the days I would have normally trained during the summer work on my conditioning. Schedule wise, Wednesday is the only day I cannot train once school picks starts. Obviously where in my schedule I decide to do my school work will also have an affect on when I train. Right now it looks like my training will be done M/T, the crazy school/work day on W, then some sort of conditioning/recovery on Th and train again F/Saturday, and Sunday would be another conditioning/recovery day..../novel

Last edited by Allprocro on Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
babyeater
Class II
Class II
babyeater

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   David Petersen's Log - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 20, 2013 8:02 pm

what exactly do you mean by conditioning? I assume you mean your recovery time between work sets, but if you mean something like having a better cardio conditioning base....you don't right? I cannot believe you mean that.
Back to top Go down
http://www.babyeaterlifts.wordpress.com
babyeater
Class II
Class II
babyeater

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   David Petersen's Log - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 20, 2013 8:02 pm

because if you do, no. Nooooo. Join the dark side of never-cardio!
Back to top Go down
David Petersen
Class II
Class II
David Petersen

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   David Petersen's Log - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 20, 2013 9:59 pm

babyeater wrote:
I mean prolwer/sled/tire flips...that sort of thing.... I haven't done cardio since November.... I've gone from a fat 175 to a fatter 190 in 10 months. Very happy with the no cardio...buttttttt.....rest time between sets needs to probably decrease as well...but I like taking as much time as I need...
Back to top Go down
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   David Petersen's Log - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 20, 2013 10:46 pm

If I see you bring coffee into the CRWC, I will do everything I can to ban you from the club.
Back to top Go down
babyeater
Class II
Class II
babyeater

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   David Petersen's Log - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 20, 2013 10:49 pm

Allprocro wrote:
babyeater wrote:
I mean prolwer/sled/tire flips...that sort of thing.... I haven't done cardio since November.... I've gone from a fat 175 to a fatter 190 in 10 months. Very happy with the no cardio...buttttttt.....rest time between sets needs to probably decrease as well...but I like taking as much time as I need...
yeah, honestly, it's a very fine balance. I kind of just LET myself take the time. It's a choice I make--I just spend a shit ton more time in the gym than many, I guess. What you can do to try to most efficiently build up your conditioning specific to this issue is to knock out your accessory work with reduced rest times--shorten whatever rest times you usually use between pull-up sets, say, and go about things that way. This can help build a slightly better base for session-endurance (just made up a term there, so scientific). It will save you time in your sessions right now.
Back to top Go down
babyeater
Class II
Class II
babyeater

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   David Petersen's Log - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 20, 2013 10:50 pm

that said, prowler work and stuff would be great for your training. I would probably do some if I had more access to the equipment.
Back to top Go down
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   David Petersen's Log - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 20, 2013 10:51 pm

I'm not sure about the status of the Rec Building (IIRC they are renovating the entire thing now), but they have sleds and stuff there.
Back to top Go down
babyeater
Class II
Class II
babyeater

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   David Petersen's Log - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 20, 2013 10:57 pm

Chris Anderson wrote:
I'm not sure about the status of the Rec Building (IIRC they are renovating the entire thing now), but they have sleds and stuff there.
haha, I know. I pulled one there ONE session. IT was hilarious. I felt like a horse. It was like pulling a cart.
Back to top Go down
Quadfather
Class I
Class I
Quadfather

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   David Petersen's Log - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 20, 2013 11:12 pm

car-di-o?? what is this? anyways, prowlers are extremely helpful to build explosive strength. At 22nd, they have a a rope attached and I would do a sort of power clean motion with it after I deadlifted. I noticed some carryover to explosiveness on deadlift
Back to top Go down
David Petersen
Class II
Class II
David Petersen

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   David Petersen's Log - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 21, 2013 12:26 am

Chris Anderson wrote:
If I see you bring coffee into the CRWC, I will do everything I can to ban you from the club.

David Petersen's Log - Page 6 19799310
Back to top Go down
David Petersen
Class II
Class II
David Petersen

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   David Petersen's Log - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 21, 2013 12:46 am

babyeater wrote:
Allprocro wrote:
babyeater wrote:
yeah, honestly, it's a very fine balance. I kind of just LET myself take the time. It's a choice I make--I just spend a shit ton more time in the gym than many, I guess. What you can do to try to most efficiently build up your conditioning specific to this issue is to knock out your accessory work with reduced rest times--shorten whatever rest times you usually use between pull-up sets, say, and go about things that way. This can help build a slightly better base for session-endurance (just made up a term there, so scientific). It will save you time in your sessions right now.

I was on my phone earlier so was kinda short and didn't give the best explanation....I do the sort of same type of "letting myself take the time." I'm not totally sure if I take "too much" time. I just go when I need....The only benchmark I have is with the people I train with. That and the occasional youtube videos of people like Ben Rice who say how much time they took as rest. I could be selling myself short, and maybe I am pretty quick about it.

As far as accessory work goes. I actually feel like I move pretty quickly through it. I usually am really gassed at the end but I've been doing as you prescribed already, trying to keep rest to a minimum to try and help the "session-endurance".

This concern is mostly triggered by my self-analysis of out of the gym type stuff. I find myself winded when I feel like I shouldn't be. I guess maybe this is some give and take? I mean when I was curling for girls I was also biking/stair stepping...I guess it is natural that I lose some of my cardio-vascular support if I am transitioning into PL training...But I also don't want that to become an excuse to just become a lazy asshole.

Not sure how to double/triple quote sooo...
@Grant...Marshall Johnson just posted an article on EliteFTS talking about how he did prowler work two times a week, and considered that his cardio. That sounds ideal for me, and I basically will consider it cardio. I've heard the potential for carry over to lifts/explosiveness and it is encouraging to hear that you had that kind of success with it as well.

@Chris...The Rec Building? Is that the track/field building inside the Kinnick parking lot? I'd be interested in this for sure as a short-intermediate solution to get this kind of work in. While waiting for this new gym stuff to pan out I will have to rely on another gym for access to this kind of equipment...
Back to top Go down
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   David Petersen's Log - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 21, 2013 4:33 pm

Yes. Like I said, I'm fairly sure the building is completely closed right now for renovations. Poage should know more than I.
Back to top Go down
Seth
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   David Petersen's Log - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 21, 2013 7:20 pm

Allprocro wrote:
Chris Anderson wrote:

David Petersen's Log - Page 6 19799310
Coffee is the key to gainz. Can't do without it!
Back to top Go down
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   David Petersen's Log - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 21, 2013 8:31 pm

Coffee is for the olympic lifting faggots that I see all the time at the CRWC.
Back to top Go down
Seth
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   David Petersen's Log - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 21, 2013 8:42 pm

and Seth.
Back to top Go down
David Petersen
Class II
Class II
David Petersen

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   David Petersen's Log - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 22, 2013 4:53 pm

8/22/13
Squat: 310...Today was suppose to be OHP day but my upper back/shoulder did not feel good at all and my lower body felt fresh.
Changed my warm up slightly. Ditched the foam rolling and didn't do any mobility. Just dynamic and muscle activation stuff. Felt okay, a little tight on my first few sets with the bar but felt alright overall.
215x3
belt
250x3
280x3+ did 5.
Joker Sets
Wraps
295x1
315x2 Best set in wraps.

Good mornings 135x5x8
Hamstring Curls 90x3x12
Back Raises 3x12 w/ red band and quarter plate
Leg Raises 3x12

Notes: My plan after 295x1 was just to do 315x1 because the last time I tried 315 for a double in wraps I lost my balance/hit the cage and my training partner had to grab my chest to get me to "finish" the rep. The first rep at 315 felt really good, so I did a second, and it also felt good, I might have had a third, but didn't want to test it and end up failing again. I am getting more use to the wraps. The wraps I use want to pull you forward as you come out of the hole. I've finally gotten better at sitting back more and not diving forward as hard as I come out of the hole. Also my speed down into the hole is getting much better. Still not as fast as when I squat without wraps, but it is getting there. Now that I have had a couple session in wraps I think I am only going to put them on for joker sets, and not any working sets. I'm also getting less bad at wrapping them, despite dislocating my thumb today while wrapping for the 315 set....teamawful
Back to top Go down
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   David Petersen's Log - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 22, 2013 5:55 pm

Seth wrote:
and Seth.
u havin a giggle m8?

ill smak u in teh gabber, sware on me mum
Back to top Go down
David Petersen
Class II
Class II
David Petersen

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   David Petersen's Log - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 25, 2013 11:20 pm

8/25/13
Bench: 190
135x3
150x3
170x3 did 5
Joker Sets
185x1
195xfail about an inch of the chest and it froze. Came down very high on my chest.

Rows 60x3x10
Pulldowns 3x10
Face Pulls 3x12
Notes: I was at the CRWC and did not take enough time getting use to the different equipment and not enough rest between sets. I rushed this session, and paid for it by missing a weight I was able to handle at the mock meet last month.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   David Petersen's Log - Page 6 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

David Petersen's Log
Page 6 of 17Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 11 ... 17  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Ultimate Iowa Powerlifting :: General :: Training Logs-
Jump to: