Ultimate Iowa Powerlifting
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Ultimate Iowa Powerlifting

A forum dedicated to powerlifting in Iowa and Iowa City

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

David Petersen's Log

Go down 
+7
zchaib
Nathan Poage
Quadfather
Seth
Chris Anderson
Keosawa
David Petersen
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 17  Next
AuthorMessage
David Petersen
Class II
Class II
David Petersen

David Petersen's Log - Page 11 Empty
PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   David Petersen's Log - Page 11 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 22, 2013 7:17 pm

10/22/13
Bench: Heavy
barxabunch
85x5
105x5
135x3
145x2
155x2
165x1
185x1
195x1
Overload with slingshot
205x1
225x1

Lat pulldowns
3x100x15

Arms

Notes:
Grip a tiny bit further out than normal
195-This was a good rep. Nice pause. I actually kinda slipped off the bench on my initial press which caused me to be slow, but once I got through that I flew through the rep.

The slingshot work was pretty amazing. Obviously I'm going to get something out of the slingshot but that wasn't even the whole picture. 225 felt easier than 185 did. I felt like I could have tripled 225 with the slingshot. It also locked me into a really nice grove. My training partner was amazed at how good my reps looked in the slingshot. He said it looked very natural, and it felt very natural. The slingshot tucks my elbows in a bit, but I didn't have that technical breakdown that I normally do. I didn't film this, but I am going to film myself with the slingshot and get a real sense of how my bench looks. The reps were smooth, but it still felt like heavy weight. I'm considering the idea of using the slingshot more in training, especially once I figure out how I look when I bench with it.
Back to top Go down
David Petersen
Class II
Class II
David Petersen

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   David Petersen's Log - Page 11 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 23, 2013 8:40 pm

10/23/13
Dead 380
265x3
305x3
340x3+ just did 3 to save for additional set
385x2x0
Misloaded, wanted 375, didn’t realize it till I did the 315x10
Immediately dropped the weight and pulled 315x10

Notes:
I'm going to back off doing AMAPs just because I don't want to burn myself out or hurt myself pulling recklessly this close to a meet...I decided that today felt good enough that I'd tread in what I thought was second attempt territory (~375)
First attempt broke the ground got halfway to my knees, and had to dump it. Second attempt couldn't break it off the floor.

I’m a lot stronger than this. Pissed because I know it, but I’m failing on weights I should be able to handle. 365 moved pretty well...Honestly 385 should be attainable….I know one rep max calculators are not super accurate but I’ve done 350x5 at the CRWC…Soooo…385 should be doable…I don’t know if I’m just not pulling hard enough right away, if I’m not getting leg drive off the ground, or what. I know a lot of people rock back into their deadlift to load the hamstrings, maybe this is something I need to try, cause I’m not working to my potential and that really pisses me off.
Also pissed I didn’t have the discipline to not attempt a PR a month before the meet….I probably wouldn’t feel like this if I was able to get the lift….Which clearly means I don’t have the discipline….
No more Joker sets.
Back to top Go down
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   David Petersen's Log - Page 11 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 23, 2013 9:14 pm

I think you're going to be best off picking your attempts (past your opener, obvi) by feel at the meet. There is no need to even think about locking yourself in to certain numbers. Just stick to your prescribed reps and challenge yourself when you feel up to it. The consistency will get there.
Back to top Go down
David Petersen
Class II
Class II
David Petersen

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   David Petersen's Log - Page 11 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 26, 2013 9:24 pm

10/26/13
Squat: 350
245x3
Wraps
280x3..ended up doing 4 haha
315x3+ did 4. That's a hot PR for me

Good mornings
135x3x5
Hammy Curls
80x3x15
Leg Raises
3x15
Notes:
280 I tried not to look in the mirror at all, I had to tilt my head up pretty far and on the second rep I fell backwards and had to take a step back to stop from falling..I ended up doing an extra rep…Not sure if it was the lack of mirror or the fact I had my head back that caused me to fall

315…I just sorta stared blankly into the mirror…I was planning on doing only 3 (previous PR was 2), but I knew I had one left for sure, and I probably left one more in the tank…That’s awesome. 315x4 puts my estimated 1RM at 355…The bigger thing here is this probably will lock me in for a ~325 opener…I’ll hit 325 next training week, so we’ll see how that goes.
Warming up I'm really working on being tight and fast...I put the belt on at 135 just so I could get a ton of sets working on pushing into the belt...I felt like this translated to the heavier sets and could have been another reason why I hit a pretty big PR here.

Remember the feel of a rep PR...Singles are dumb, cause I'm too good to ever fucking single outside a meet again.
Back to top Go down
Quadfather
Class I
Class I
Quadfather

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   David Petersen's Log - Page 11 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 26, 2013 9:47 pm

David Petersen wrote:
Warming up I'm really working on being tight and fast...I put the belt on at 135 just so I could get a ton of sets working on pushing into the belt...I felt like this translated to the heavier sets and could have been another reason why I hit a pretty big PR here.
The tight and fast is always a good approach for any lift. One thing that was beaten into me at 22nd St was keep the back suuuper tight on squat. To be fast, one of the guys there named drew strube (played football at isu and is a big squatter) told me to try to come up so fast that the weight actually flies off my back. Last Friday, I had a set at 335 and poage told me get the weight to fly or it doesnt count (haha poage) but this mindset is what is needed. So keep up the good work man. Hope to see a big squat in november.
Back to top Go down
David Petersen
Class II
Class II
David Petersen

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   David Petersen's Log - Page 11 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 27, 2013 8:28 pm

10/27/13
Bench 210
145x3
170x3
190x3+ did 1.

Kyle's comments about width and training and good bar reps versus pushing limits with poor form

Bench volume @~65% with wider grip
135 for 6 or 7sets of 5
Sqz
Hammer Curls
Rope Pulldowns
Face Pulls

Notes:

So I looked at my notes and there is some disparity in my benching with narrow versus wide. It is not really consistent disparity, but there is some. The most notable was 185x2 with a wider grip versus 185x4 with a narrower grip...That being said I couldn't hit 190x2 today with the narrow grip. Kyle's discussion of leverages and where it makes sense for me as a lifter to have my grip resonates with me. And is obviously the source of my problem. I have missed every single bench losing it towards my head, never anywhere else.

I'm going to do some volume work next week, and then the week after just work up to a somewhat heavy triple...That should take me pretty close to the meet...On my next bench day I think I'll work up to a heavy double or triple with a wide grip, just to get a sense of where that might be at in relation to my narrower grip...

Post meet I will probably keep the 5/3/1 day, but then make my second bench day a high volume day, all with a wider grip..
Back to top Go down
David Petersen
Class II
Class II
David Petersen

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   David Petersen's Log - Page 11 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 28, 2013 6:54 pm

10/28/13
Deadlift
5/3/1
285x5
325x3
360x1+ did 3

Notes
The first reps of 325 and 360 were the slowest, but the drastic disparity between those two first reps and the other reps was not as bad as it usually is. The first rep at 360 felt like an 8.5 or 9 RPE. The set overall was probably an 8, meaning I left two in the tank. I'm really trying to set up with my hips higher and let my upper back round to create power off the floor. I really notice the tradeoff with the lock out, but it seems to be helping my speed off the floor a bit.

350-360 seems like a pretty good opener for me. The biggest thing is going to be A) pulling fucking hard and going along with that B) not giving up on the lift....I think I could easily phys myself out on the deadlift by being super pumped and the bar slowly breaking the floor and giving up on the lift...I didn't get myself pumped for this 360, I was confident, I was focused, but not out of control. I stuck with the first rep, and it was a smooth rep.
Back to top Go down
David Petersen
Class II
Class II
David Petersen

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   David Petersen's Log - Page 11 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 29, 2013 5:59 pm

I forgot to add that I changed my set up just a tad. I wasn't pulling the bar right on my shins but instead about an inch out from my shins....Also started with my hips. I sorta visioned a Mark Bell type deadlift. A little more hunched over the bar with the chest down till I worked into the lockout...I actually remember thinking how I was looking down more until I started getting past my knees and had my chest down...I know this isn't the "typical" middle of the line approach to deadlifting as you are suppose to start with your chest up and lead with your chest butttt if it is going to help me break the floor faster I am pretty okay with that...Even if it is putting me in a tougher position to lock it out, that won't be where I miss a lift.
Back to top Go down
Seth
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   David Petersen's Log - Page 11 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 29, 2013 8:00 pm

I've found that you need to find the right trade off between speed off the floor and lockout. I've migrated towards being quicker off the floor but at one time got to a point where my lockout was pretty awful because of the position I was setting myself up in. Not that you should "hide" your weaknesses per say, but if you can get enough speed off the floor to carry into your lockout and make it easier it makes it worth it. Just gotta find the right balance.
Back to top Go down
David Petersen
Class II
Class II
David Petersen

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   David Petersen's Log - Page 11 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 30, 2013 11:51 pm

10/30/13
Squat: 350
260x5
290x1
Wraps
335x1, good single went for a double and just got folded forward.

Notes
For the CRWC I'll take it. I missed 325 at the CRWC before, then hit 335 at 319, and now have hit 335 at the CRWC. The single looked great, a little struggle through the middle but no form breakdown. I felt like I really had a single and just didn't stay tight in the hole and fell forward. I'm not overly concerned about this. The lack of quality knurling kinda had me worried about dropping the bar off my back the whole session. The bar would slide down throughout my sets as was evident from the bicep pain I had during the whole session....Either way this was good.

Talked with Kyle and Grant about openers. I think the consensus ended up being a 314 opener...This would put me in a great position to hit a 342 second attempt for a modest PR, and then attempt a third in the 350-360 range, maybe even more depending on how I feel.
Back to top Go down
David Petersen
Class II
Class II
David Petersen

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   David Petersen's Log - Page 11 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 31, 2013 10:57 pm

10/31/13
Bench
bar
95x5
135x3
155x3
185x1
195x1 w/ long pause w/ bench command
Slingshot
205x2
No slingshot
135x3x7 paused

Pendlay Rows
135x3x10
Hammer Curls
Rope pulldowns

Notes:
Went a little bit wider than normal, about where Kyle showed me on the bar and where I did some rep work on my last bench session.

195 was a good rep. I was in a groove up and down, and it wasn't a broken rep as far as form goes..I felt like I could have tripled it....Best feeling heavy bench rep I have done in a long time. Brian was tracking my bar path and elbow position in relation to my wrist and said it was much better than normal. I'll probably use this grip for the meet to be honest. It just feels better. I think my last try at a wide grip was just too far out in one jump.
I think I will open with something like 187...I feel very confident in hitting a 204 bench as long as I can put together what I feel is a good attempt. From there just see how I feel.
Back to top Go down
David Petersen
Class II
Class II
David Petersen

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   David Petersen's Log - Page 11 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 01, 2013 7:40 pm

11/1/2013
Deadlift
315x10x2

Notes: I had a couple pulls where the second rep was way faster than the first. Overall pretty good sets though. I could feel everything firing on the faster reps, now I just need to make it happen consistently. I wouldn't mind doing a day like this again next week, then after work up to maybe ~350.

Really just pulling as hard as I could off the floor seemed to be the difference here. I think a lot of this is mental. I don't need to be super pumped or go out of control I just need to pull hard and fast from the floor.
Back to top Go down
Seth
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   David Petersen's Log - Page 11 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 01, 2013 9:22 pm

I like your mindset. I feel like in order to stay consistent and be able to hit your lifts you cannot need to completely psych yourself up every time. I feel like eventually it loses the effect. Every now and then it getting all hyped up will work when you need that big lift. Going into each set mentally tough and with a plan to execute seems to be what works for me as well. Just thought I'd drop my thoughts in.
Back to top Go down
David Petersen
Class II
Class II
David Petersen

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   David Petersen's Log - Page 11 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 01, 2013 10:03 pm

Seth wrote:
I like your mindset.  I feel like in order to stay consistent and be able to hit your lifts you cannot need to completely psych yourself up every time.  I feel like eventually it loses the effect.  Every now and then it getting all hyped up will work when you need that big lift.  Going into each set mentally tough and with a plan to execute seems to be what works for me as well.  Just thought I'd drop my thoughts in.
Yeah I was trying to get hyped a little today but more just so that I could pull as fast as I could. 315 is something I can handle for sure. I just need to force myself to remember to pull fast and hard every time and not to quit on lifts. I mean what was it maybe two months ago I bailed after 4 and then couldn't move 315...And here I just did it for 10 doubles...It's mentally putting myself in the correct place.
Back to top Go down
David Petersen
Class II
Class II
David Petersen

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   David Petersen's Log - Page 11 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 03, 2013 5:33 pm

11/3/13
Bench
bar
95x3
135x3
belt
155x3
185x5 paused
Headphone Spike
Wrist Wrap Spike
150x5
150x3
150x3
150x5
150x5
The somewhat wider grip, pinkie just inside the outside knurling. Pauses were very light on the chest, not letting it sink.

Notes:
I did very little warm up work. Rolled my back cause my arch kills me. Then just went straight to the bar, 95, 135. I took pretty decent rests between all my sets because all I was going to do was bench today. Also put some bands on the bench, cause I really liked how that felt at the CRWC. I think less warm up the better for me and benching. Just enough to get me ready, and today these jumps felt perfect.

185...The plan was only to do this for a triple. I wanted really nice pauses on my chest, something that would not be questioned at a meet (as long as the judges aren't counting to a billion). Given how my bench has been going I thought 185x3 with pauses might even be greedy....So 185x5 was pretty fucking awesome....I was in a groove for every rep. Brian said my bar path/elbow location in relation to wrist and my reps just look fantastic compared to how they normally do. I'm really happy for two reasons 1) this is a huge PR 2) this is a PR that I acquired without breaking down technically.

Also happy about the confidence this gives me in my bench....Regardless of what happens at the meet my bench progress has been slow, really slow. But I think things are now moving in the right direction. I won't have a huge PR at the meet on bench, but I am expecting a PR, which is important given I've missed some pretty manageable weights in the last couple of months. I know I need to hammer away at my form. The volume worked I talked about with Kyle is going to be implemented post meet. But we'll save all that jazz for another post.
Back to top Go down
David Petersen
Class II
Class II
David Petersen

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   David Petersen's Log - Page 11 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 05, 2013 4:57 pm

11/5/13
bar
95x5
135x3
185x3
225x1
275x1
315 for 3 singles
315 for a double
5-10 minutes of rest between sets

Notes:
Really pulled the wraps about as tight as I could get them. 315 was flying up, bouncing off my traps at the  top (that quarter squat power). The double was easy and I probably had a couple reps for sure. So I'm going to open with 314, there is zero doubt in my mind about this weight.

Best rep was actually the first rep of the double. Perfect form, no breakdown, and fast.

YEY!
Back to top Go down
David Petersen
Class II
Class II
David Petersen

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   David Petersen's Log - Page 11 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 10, 2013 4:57 pm

11/8/13
Bench
barxabunch
95x5
115x3
135x3
155x3
165x2
185x4 with pause command. Racked with at least one more, but the 4th one was slower so racking it was smart

Notes:
So this is good. 185-190 is a guaranteed opener for me. I've hit at least 4 reps with 185 both at the CRWC and 319 (with a pause command) and those are about as opposite benches as I think exist. Kyle said all 4 of these reps looked better than 190x1. This is really what I want. Confidence yeyyy

11/10/13
Deadlift
barx3sets
135x5
185x3
225x3
275x3
315x1
340x1
365x3x1

Notes: The goal here was to work up to 350ish. Everything felt really fast warming up. The plan was to do 315 than 350 for my singles, but it felt so good I decided to just do 340, and if 340 felt good do my singles at 365, if it felt bad do my singles at 340. 340 moved quick enough I felt confident in 365 for 3 singles...These are all technically PRs...whoops...But I'm not too worried, they all felt pretty good. The key for my deadlift is going to be getting it a few inches off the ground, once I do that my speed starts to increase. ALSO sticking with the lift, even if it is moving really slow, realize that once it gets to a certain point I will be able to lock it out. 350 looks to be a good opener, and a second attempt somewhere around 370.

So I'm done lifting till the meet. I think what I have done has built a lot of confidence, and I'm happy with where I am at. I destroyed all my openers (or slightly above openers) which makes me confident in both my first and my second attempts. As long as the meet goes well I like this as a plan for future meets. A "confidence week" is how I think of it.

Depending on how I feel this might change. I am confident I could hit these openers even if I feel bad on the day of the meet. Also "planned" second attempts just to see where they are in relation to first

First Attempts: 
Squat
142.5 or 314#
Bench
85 or 187#
Deadlift
157.5 or 347#

Ideas for seconds
Squat
152.5 or 336# (1# PR woot woot). I've done 335 twice in training
Bench
90 or 198# (3# PR). Did 195 at mock meet in July. I'd be happy with this given how my bench training has gone. But I also feel confident in this and don't believe it is a ceiling. 
Deadlift
167.5 or 369# (4# PR).

These are somewhat conservative second attempts, but they are seen as a way to achieve a PR at a meet. I see them as minimums meaning if my openers go fantastic and I feel on my game, I might bump them up. I feel 100% on my bench and deadlift second attempts. The only reason why I'm not 100% about my squat is I have missed lifts do to balance issues, but I know how I need to squat to do 336, and I believe squatting at the meet will help not hurt me (but you never know).
Back to top Go down
Quadfather
Class I
Class I
Quadfather

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   David Petersen's Log - Page 11 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 10, 2013 8:02 pm

I think these are solid attempts. They may be conservative like you said but you will hit new PRs which is essentially the goal. I also think you put yourself in a good position to hit big 3rd attempts. Possibly more than you realize
Back to top Go down
David Petersen
Class II
Class II
David Petersen

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   David Petersen's Log - Page 11 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 10, 2013 8:09 pm

Broceidon wrote:
I think these are solid attempts. They may be conservative like you said but you will hit new PRs which is essentially the goal. I also think you put yourself in a good position to hit big 3rd attempts. Possibly more than you realize
Yeah the feedback I have gotten from Kyle and you has helped this a lot. Taming the ego a bit, and in the end it will probably pay off, so thanks for that. I actually went back and brought my bench and deadlift openers down a little once I realized that I didn't need to go heavy in order to prep myself for my second attempts.
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   David Petersen's Log - Page 11 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 10, 2013 8:32 pm

Broceidon wrote:
+1. Great attempt selection here. You can still shoot for the moon on third attempts if you feel great; these will ensure a successful meet.
Back to top Go down
http://iowapowerlifting.com
David Petersen
Class II
Class II
David Petersen

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   David Petersen's Log - Page 11 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 18, 2013 12:22 am

Meet Recap…

I like to do this sort of stuff while it is still fresh in my head. I have a lot of thoughts. I will try to keep this short, and this will end up being more useful for me in the end. This is really just a continuation of my log, and will include things I’ve learned.

I went 7/9 with a 353-210-402 performance that gave me a 965 total.

Squat-3/3
Warm-ups were a little tough. Most everyone was warming up with the hooks in and I needed them out so my warmups were down with my hands a lot further out than normal. This ended up not being a huge issue, but I warmed up quick, and was still sweating when I got on stage for my first attempt.

314-This went up good. I remember coming forward a little bit on my toes and falling somewhat forward but I was able to power through it.

33-This felt better than the first. Back on my heels and didn’t fall forward. I felt really confident in a good third.

353 18# PR-Luke did my wraps for this attempt and it went up smooth. A little fight through the middle of the lift, but I was very impressed how quickly I got out of the hole and how straight I was able to stay up.

Overall I was very happy with my squat. I felt like I left a little on the platform (I might have had upwards of 364, but this is a squat I was very proud of.

Bench-2/3

I took few warm ups. Bar, 95, 135, 165. Felt good. I like less warm ups for bench

187 no lift-The bench felt great, very fast. I racked it before the command so I got a red light from the head judge (which is an overrule red light in the UPA). I also got a second red light from one of the side judges for my butt coming up. He told me this and I made a slight change in my set up.

187—I decided not to risk bombing out on the squat and just sticking with the lightest weight I could do in order to secure any bench so that I would be able to at least finish the meet. Based on how fast I did do 187 in the first attempt if I got this lift again with similar speed I would just jump straight to my original planned 3rd of 210. I didn’t tuck my legs quite as hard in order to keep my put on pad. The bar flew up and I racked it on time this time.

210 15# PR-With the risk of a bombing out gone and a very fast 187, I felt fine going for something I thought would challenge me. I wouldn’t call this an all out grinder, but it felt like right where I wanted to be for a third attempt. If my squat was slightly easier than I wanted, this was perfect. I got out of my groove a tiny bit right at the top, but was able to lock it out.

Deadlift-2/3
347 no lift-This flew up. Like 350 at the CRWC sucks, and even at 319 it is slow. This was unreasonably fast. Like the fastest I’ve pulled 350. I did an extra glute squeeze at the top and had to take a step back. So yeah read light.

369-I decided to take a jump because it was clearly a dumb mistake that caused me to miss this lift, and also it moved so fast I was thinking maybe I could take a shot at something big. I wanted a second attempt to gauge where that would be. This weight shot up. Super fucking fast. Again, surprised. Nothing to complain about.

402 37# PR-So after 369 Luke was yelling at me to go for four. I was like truck yeah, might as well. Holy speed off the floor, a little slow right above the knees, but once I got my glutes working full time I locked it out without a problem. This was pretty cool. I didn’t even think 400 was on the table given how bad my first pulls usually are.

Other meta-things
So this meet was fantastic for me. Despite going 7/9 the way I called my attempts I functionally went 9/9. On the bench I redid my opener and then jumped right to my planned third, and on the deadlift I just jumped to my second, and then did a huge third. Going into the meet I thought 950 was a cap, and I ended up beating that pretty easily.

As far as what worked for me, well I really like how I got set up for the attempts. Walking around behind the stage and having someone tell me when I was 3 or 4 out, and just not really talking to anyone between attempts seemed ideal. Between attempts I need to just not think about stuff, and need to distract myself so that I don’t get negative. I really did a good job at that after my bench first attempt, the thought of bombing out creeped into my head, but I just ran around and blasted music.

Snacking all day also worked well. I never felt too bloated, and didn’t feel not nourished during the day. I had about 16 oz of coffee at the beginning of the day and then a can of red bull right before my deadlifts. So not nearly as much caffeine as I thought I would take in.

A look back
November 2012: 245-145 (tng)-265: 655 @ Test Days
July 2013: 315-195-350: 860 @Mock Meet
November 2013: 353-210-402: 965  @UPA Power Weekend
Back to top Go down
Seth
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   David Petersen's Log - Page 11 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 18, 2013 9:01 pm

Congrats on the big meet man! Pretty crazy progress in the last year, props to you.
Back to top Go down
David Petersen
Class II
Class II
David Petersen

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   David Petersen's Log - Page 11 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 18, 2013 9:32 pm

Seth wrote:
Congrats on the big meet man!  Pretty crazy progress in the last year, props to you.
I can't say I am not happy, I really am. But I know I left a lot out there this year. February-May I was not very consistent with my training and leading up to May my drinking got progressively worse very quickly, and really messed with my training at times. May I spent in rehab so that was a month of no training. After that (and right around the time I ran into you guys) my training has been pretty much been unstoppable, and I have been pretty on my game since. I'm really excited to see what this next year will hold.

I mentioned this to Janis, but seeing what you guys/gals on the team do really inspired me to change how I viewed my training. It is one thing to hear guys on youtube videos talking about doing x,y,z in your life to make your training better. It was an entirely different thing to see how Kyle, Janis, and others on the team dedicate themselves to do the right things to make training the best it can be. Without witnessing that I'm not sure I would have made the transition I did during the summer. For that I am truly in this teams debt.
Back to top Go down
Seth
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   David Petersen's Log - Page 11 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 19, 2013 12:30 am

It just goes to show what buying into your training can really do! I think everyone gets to the point where they have to decide if they want to get serious about their training and make it a priority, and your case is a prime example of what consistency and hard work can do. You just have to find what inspires you and sparks that drive.

This might be a little premature, but when are you planning on competing again? At the February UPA meet?
Back to top Go down
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   David Petersen's Log - Page 11 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 19, 2013 12:30 am

Anonymous wrote:
Name: David Petersen
Height: 6’ (Doctors keep telling me 5’11’’ ½ but they are crazy)
Weight: 175-180 any given day

1RM—These are as of Nov’ 2012 when I took my 1RM to begin my program
Squat: 235
Bench: 155
Dead: 265
OHP: 110

3 of the 4 lifts I have yet to 1RM and my progress recorded in terms of PR Reps. these are all from June 2013.
Squat: 265x4
Bench 165x3
Dead: 275x12 or 295x8
OHP: 135x1

Short term goals: Total 1000 @165 next February at my first meet.
Long term goals: Strong(er)
David Petersen wrote:

I went 7/9 with a 353-210-402 performance that gave me a 965 total.

353 18# PR-Luke did my wraps for this attempt and it went up smooth. A little fight through the middle of the lift, but I was very impressed how quickly I got out of the hole and how straight I was able to stay up.

Overall I was very happy with my squat. I felt like I left a little on the platform (I might have had upwards of 364, but this is a squat I was very proud of.

210 15# PR-With the risk of a bombing out gone and a very fast 187, I felt fine going for something I thought would challenge me. I wouldn’t call this an all out grinder, but it felt like right where I wanted to be for a third attempt. If my squat was slightly easier than I wanted, this was perfect. I got out of my groove a tiny bit right at the top, but was able to lock it out.

402 37# PR-So after 369 Luke was yelling at me to go for four. I was like truck yeah, might as well. Holy speed off the floor, a little slow right above the knees, but once I got my glutes working full time I locked it out without a problem. This was pretty cool. I didn’t even think 400 was on the table given how bad my first pulls usually are.

Other meta-things
So this meet was fantastic for me. Despite going 7/9 the way I called my attempts I functionally went 9/9. On the bench I redid my opener and then jumped right to my planned third, and on the deadlift I just jumped to my second, and then did a huge third. Going into the meet I thought 950 was a cap, and I ended up beating that pretty easily.
A look back
November 2012: 245-145 (tng)-265: 655 @ Test Days
July 2013: 315-195-350: 860 @Mock Meet
November 2013: 353-210-402: 965  @UPA Power Weekend
I just wanted to show the contrast between some of the stuff from your very first post and your meet report.

The obvious:

165, lolwut
first meet in February, lolwut
1000lb total is insanely close

The not so obvious:

You ended up being a very different person than my first impression of you, based off of your first posts. I mean this in a good way. You've shown direction, ambition, and a good amount of drive and "want to" behind your training that I think is even giving yourself a surprise at times. Stick around the sport and keeping on doing good things for yourself and you will see even more progress.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   David Petersen's Log - Page 11 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

David Petersen's Log
Page 11 of 17Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 17  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Ultimate Iowa Powerlifting :: General :: Training Logs-
Jump to: