Ultimate Iowa Powerlifting
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Ultimate Iowa Powerlifting

A forum dedicated to powerlifting in Iowa and Iowa City

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Hey Guys (July Meet)

Go down 
+4
Chris Anderson
babyeater
KevinAlvy
Keosawa
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

Hey Guys (July Meet) Empty
PostSubject: Hey Guys (July Meet)   Hey Guys (July Meet) Icon_minitimeFri May 24, 2013 10:25 am

I should mention this well in advance, so that everyone knows: I've been thinking that I might do the UPA Battle at the Mississippi meet on July 20-21 instead of NASA Grand Nationals.

Okay. Just putting that out there.

Maybe we should all have a conversation soon about who's competing in July and who isn't.
Back to top Go down
http://iowapowerlifting.com
KevinAlvy
Elite
Elite
KevinAlvy

PostSubject: Re: Hey Guys (July Meet)   Hey Guys (July Meet) Icon_minitimeFri May 24, 2013 11:50 am

The high school team will prevail at grand natty's
Back to top Go down
babyeater
Class II
Class II
babyeater

PostSubject: Re: Hey Guys (July Meet)   Hey Guys (July Meet) Icon_minitimeFri May 24, 2013 1:59 pm

just wanted to throw this out there: I'm probably not competing in July (want some uninterrupted training cycle action for a bit, I think) and I will be HAPPY to run around and help/get video at this meet. If we have any newbies, I will be happy to keep them on schedule and help them with the experience.
Back to top Go down
http://www.babyeaterlifts.wordpress.com
babyeater
Class II
Class II
babyeater

PostSubject: Re: Hey Guys (July Meet)   Hey Guys (July Meet) Icon_minitimeFri May 24, 2013 2:01 pm

I will add that doing meets in Dubuque will mean substantially shortened travel time for Logan, which is awesome.
Back to top Go down
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: Hey Guys (July Meet)   Hey Guys (July Meet) Icon_minitimeSat May 25, 2013 9:59 am

Just wanna add in that I will be doing a strongman comp the weekend after Grand Natty's.
Back to top Go down
Quadfather
Class I
Class I
Quadfather

PostSubject: Re: Hey Guys (July Meet)   Hey Guys (July Meet) Icon_minitimeSat May 25, 2013 11:01 am

I am down with doing the UPA meet in July. A bunch of guys here in DM are going to that meet too so it will be nice to see a bunch of familiar faces. This meet would be good for the people in the chicago suburbs. It would cut about 30-60 minutes of travel time depending.
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Hey Guys (July Meet)   Hey Guys (July Meet) Icon_minitimeSat May 25, 2013 12:27 pm

Chris Anderson wrote:
Just wanna add in that I will be doing a strongman comp the weekend after Grand Natty's.

Where is this being held? I only ask because there's a UPA Iron-Battle Strongman event being held that same weekend in Dubuque.
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Hey Guys (July Meet)   Hey Guys (July Meet) Icon_minitimeSat May 25, 2013 12:30 pm

Broceidon wrote:
I am down with doing the UPA meet in July. A bunch of guys here in DM are going to that meet too so it will be nice to see a bunch of familiar faces. This meet would be good for the people in the chicago suburbs. It would cut about 30-60 minutes of travel time depending.

I figured that.

If people are interested, get in touch with the UPA sooner rather than later, because it fills up fast. If you're a Junior 20-23) or Teen lifter, you'll have the option of competing on Saturday or on Sunday, depending upon what division you go (Open is Saturday, Teen/Junior is Sunday). Women lift on Sunday as well.

If somebody is driving down to Des Moines for Grand Nationals and can get me a ride and, if necessary, a place to stay, then I'll handle whoever's down there. We still have five free entries on our gold card, if that's added incentive.

Just so everyone knows, NASA Grand Nationals is July 13-14, and UPA Battle on the Mississippi is July 20-21.
Back to top Go down
Seth
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: Hey Guys (July Meet)   Hey Guys (July Meet) Icon_minitimeSat May 25, 2013 12:51 pm

I'm sticking with NASA Grand Nationals. I will probably try to go and watch/handle at the UPA meet though.
Back to top Go down
Quadfather
Class I
Class I
Quadfather

PostSubject: Re: Hey Guys (July Meet)   Hey Guys (July Meet) Icon_minitimeSat May 25, 2013 3:29 pm

I will go watch (handle if asked/needed) the NASA grand national meet as well. It's a Saturday and Sunday meet right? Just hit me up which day you are lifting and I will come and give support.

As for the UPA meet, I will be getting in touch with my aunt and uncle to stay at their place. Dubuque has a confusing street layout so I recommend that people definitely get a map and/or get on mapquest to figure out how to get around the city.
Back to top Go down
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: Hey Guys (July Meet)   Hey Guys (July Meet) Icon_minitimeSat May 25, 2013 4:47 pm

KKeough wrote:

Where is this being held? I only ask because there's a UPA Iron-Battle Strongman event being held that same weekend in Dubuque.

Des Moines or Ames, I don't recall. It's a really small comp, ran by the Iowa Games. It will serve as a feet-wetter.

Anyway, I'll be doing Grand Natty's, regardless. I have zero interest in paying membership fees for another federation. I'll take that free Gold Card entry, too.
Back to top Go down
Nathan Poage
Master
Master
Nathan Poage

PostSubject: Re: Hey Guys (July Meet)   Hey Guys (July Meet) Icon_minitimeSat May 25, 2013 4:53 pm

I'm really tempted to just wait until the USAPL meet in October wherever that's going to be at. I basically missed out on a month of training after the April meet and I'm not really where I want to be training wise this close to a potential meet.
Back to top Go down
http://www.lemonparty.com
babyeater
Class II
Class II
babyeater

PostSubject: Re: Hey Guys (July Meet)   Hey Guys (July Meet) Icon_minitimeSat May 25, 2013 6:47 pm

Nathan Poage wrote:
I'm really tempted to just wait until the USAPL meet in October wherever that's going to be at. I basically missed out on a month of training after the April meet and I'm not really where I want to be training wise this close to a potential meet.

This is kind of how I feel. I haven't missed training time, but I just feel like July is an awkward spot for me, what I'm doing with my diet, and my possible numbers at that point. I just feel like keeping my body in a "constant training state" right now, versus the gearing up and gearing down for a meet, is probably going to be a better choice for my lifting in the semi-long term (six months to a year).
Back to top Go down
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: Hey Guys (July Meet)   Hey Guys (July Meet) Icon_minitimeSat May 25, 2013 6:51 pm

You guys could just curl, ya know.
Back to top Go down
Quadfather
Class I
Class I
Quadfather

PostSubject: Re: Hey Guys (July Meet)   Hey Guys (July Meet) Icon_minitimeSun May 26, 2013 8:24 am

for those interested in the UPA meet, keep in mind that it is a little expensive. i just looked and it's $100 for entry, $30 for a membership card, $20 for a t-shirt (optional). so you could be looking to spend at least $130.

however, i have heard that the judges, spotters, table judges act in a reasonable and professional manner. the set up is pretty sweet since the have a monolift, electronic screen, and a spotlight and i caught wind that they have 2 rooms-one for lifts plus the audience and another for warming up. so i guess that extra money goes towards all of those things.
Back to top Go down
Nathan Poage
Master
Master
Nathan Poage

PostSubject: Re: Hey Guys (July Meet)   Hey Guys (July Meet) Icon_minitimeThu May 30, 2013 3:46 pm

Chris Anderson wrote:

Anyway, I'll be doing Grand Natty's, regardless. I have zero interest in paying membership fees for another federation. I'll take that free Gold Card entry, too.
Shit, I guess I'll do Grand Nattys too if nobody else is going to use our free entries.
Back to top Go down
http://www.lemonparty.com
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Hey Guys (July Meet)   Hey Guys (July Meet) Icon_minitimeThu May 30, 2013 4:41 pm

Those Gold Card entries are good for all of eternity.
Back to top Go down
rndchris
Class IV
Class IV
rndchris

PostSubject: Re: Hey Guys (July Meet)   Hey Guys (July Meet) Icon_minitimeFri May 31, 2013 12:51 pm

I am still planning on doing the July meet in Des Moines. I would love to watch the UPA meet, but I don't think I'll be able to get the time off. I already asked for two weekends in june and two weekends in July.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hey Guys (July Meet)   Hey Guys (July Meet) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hey Guys (July Meet)
Page 1 of 1