Ultimate Iowa Powerlifting
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Ultimate Iowa Powerlifting

A forum dedicated to powerlifting in Iowa and Iowa City

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

David Petersen's Log

Go down 
+7
zchaib
Nathan Poage
Quadfather
Seth
Chris Anderson
Keosawa
David Petersen
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10 ... 17  Next
AuthorMessage
Quadfather
Class I
Class I
Quadfather

David Petersen's Log - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   David Petersen's Log - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 20, 2013 8:25 pm

In my experience, doing ATG front squats has the greatest benefits
Back to top Go down
David Petersen
Class II
Class II
David Petersen

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   David Petersen's Log - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 20, 2013 8:40 pm

Broceidon wrote:

I've never actually done front squats before today. I brought my feet in a bit and let myself go pretty deep. I bottomed out a few times and I think I'll try and maintain a pretty deep depth while doing these. From what I hear front squats are pretty clutch for developing core strength. And from what I hear, you can always use more of that.
Back to top Go down
zchaib
Class II
Class II

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   David Petersen's Log - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 21, 2013 3:22 am

Allprocro wrote:
Broceidon wrote:

I've never actually done front squats before today. I brought my feet in a bit and let myself go pretty deep. I bottomed out a few times and I think I'll try and maintain a pretty deep depth while doing these. From what I hear front squats are pretty clutch for developing core strength. And from what I hear, you can always use more of that.

Just don't forget dat dere hip torque, and you'll be makin all kinds of gains
Back to top Go down
David Petersen
Class II
Class II
David Petersen

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   David Petersen's Log - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 21, 2013 6:11 pm

DAT feel when you are about to have an awesome training session and it gets ruined and out of your control. You know DAT feel?
Back to top Go down
David Petersen
Class II
Class II
David Petersen

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   David Petersen's Log - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 21, 2013 6:31 pm

7/21/13
OHP:120
85x3
95x3
110x3+ did 11. 12 got above the head I just couldn't lock it out.
Kicked out.
Back to top Go down
David Petersen
Class II
Class II
David Petersen

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   David Petersen's Log - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 22, 2013 8:36 pm

7/22/13
Squat: 290
barxa ton of sets
95x5
135x5
160x3
185x1
200x3
Belt
230x3 this felt like a dream set. First time 225+ didn't make me feel like a bitch when I walked it out.
260x3+ did 6. Two rep PR.

Good mornings 95x3x10 wide stance
Hamstrings 60x3x12
Low Back 3x12 BW
Leg raises 3x12
Back to top Go down
Quadfather
Class I
Class I
Quadfather

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   David Petersen's Log - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 22, 2013 8:43 pm

Allprocro wrote:
230x3 this felt like a dream set. First time 225+ didn't make me feel like a bitch when I walked it out.

this topic was brought up at the gym tonight; there is a weight for everyone that when you lift this weight, your mind immediately says "Damn, when did this get heavy???"
Back to top Go down
David Petersen
Class II
Class II
David Petersen

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   David Petersen's Log - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 23, 2013 9:50 pm

7/23/13
Bench: 180
125x3
145x3
165x3 did 5. Went for 6 Brian had to bail me out. He said this set looked not good from the start. Looked nothing like 145 did.

Brian said the exact same thing Monty said about my bench...That my barpath resembles that of someone in a suit. I bring it so low to the chest and my elbows are tucked in so much. I brought my grip out so my pinkies were probably half an inch spaced from the rings. I'm not sure if I should work on not bringing the bar so low on my chest or not. My bench has made progress, so I don't want to ruin something that is working...
Close grip
95x5x8
Lat Pulldowns 110x3x12
Face Pulls 60x3x12
Meet Talk: New news here. Brian brought up the idea of doing the UPA Power Weekend in Dubuque (same venue/federation Kyle just got done with) November 16-17th. That's about 15 weeks away. I think this would be kind of a cool meet for me to do as it would be about one year out from when I started training with some sense of direction.
And my first thread photo
David Petersen's Log - Page 3 Yo10
I was mirin the clen chucks hard today..

For those of you wondering what I say when I say 319...Where I go to train. The traffic is minimal and almost no one ever uses the cage/platform but us. Pretty much same for the squat rack..Occasionally someone will be pressing or squatting in the rack, but seldom.
Back to top Go down
David Petersen
Class II
Class II
David Petersen

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   David Petersen's Log - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 24, 2013 8:45 pm

7/24/2013

Active Rest day.
Rolled, stretched, some squeeze work and mobility work. At the end Brian and I did some motor pattern work on the bench. He had me take my pinkies out to the rings (I was about a thumb length from the smooth middle part before) and I brought the bar way higher on my chest. Did 60-75 reps when it was all said and done. I think I found a good groove and bar path to mimic. It felt great.

I felt like the new grip/bar path made it possible for me to stay a lot tighter under the bar. Upper back felt tight and felt like I had a much better chance at pulling the bar apart with this grip. I’m going to keep this motor pattern work in whenever I take a day off.

Thinking about going with a thumb wrapped and not false grip.
Back to top Go down
Nathan Poage
Master
Master
Nathan Poage

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   David Petersen's Log - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 25, 2013 12:26 pm

I think I'm coming to the same conclusion with my bench. Before I had "straight bar path, and straight forearms" drilled into my mind, but my bench seems a lot stronger when I touch just a tad higher and let the bar drift back towards my head.
Back to top Go down
http://www.lemonparty.com
KevinAlvy
Elite
Elite
KevinAlvy

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   David Petersen's Log - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 25, 2013 12:35 pm

Nathan Poage wrote:
I think I'm coming to the same conclusion with my bench.  Before I had "straight bar path, and straight forearms" drilled into my mind, but my bench seems a lot stronger when I touch just a tad higher and let the bar drift back towards my head.

This is the last step to abandoning west side and gear logic
Back to top Go down
David Petersen
Class II
Class II
David Petersen

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   David Petersen's Log - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 25, 2013 12:51 pm

Nathan Poage wrote:
I think I'm coming to the same conclusion with my bench.  Before I had "straight bar path, and straight forearms" drilled into my mind, but my bench seems a lot stronger when I touch just a tad higher and let the bar drift back towards my head.

My bench is just an awful mess. No one with any sort of PL experience had seen my bench until Monty did at the mock meet. I was so worried about my squat and deadlift I always made sure I was training those on days I was meeting my group. Monty didn't stay silent about how awful it was (although he was very polite about telling me) and I am grateful for that. Yesterday's work with Brian was the first time I felt like I was benching with some kind of  competence and not just "what I have always done with an arch"...

We stayed with a pretty straight bar path, although I think this was to avoid changing too many things at once. Is letting the bar drift back towards the head a way to load the shoulders?? The way Brian explained it straight forearms means you avoid turning it into a tricep extension..But then also said, you may find that you bench better like that (non-straight forearms).

Last edited by Allprocro on Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Nathan Poage
Master
Master
Nathan Poage

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   David Petersen's Log - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 25, 2013 12:54 pm

KevinAlvy wrote:
Nathan Poage wrote:

You're gonna be disappoint. Second day in a row of 8x3 speed deadlifts with bands.
Back to top Go down
KevinAlvy
Elite
Elite
KevinAlvy

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   David Petersen's Log - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 25, 2013 1:09 pm

Nathan Poage wrote:

You're gonna be disappoint.  Second day in a row of 8x3 speed deadlifts with bands.

CNS would implode under west side principles

But son, I am disappoint
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   David Petersen's Log - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 25, 2013 1:11 pm

Nathan Poage wrote:

I'm not a big believer in the "straight bar path" rhetoric either, but I think the higher you touch, the better it will be for you. Before, you had to arc up a LOT on your bench because you were touching really low. That's due in part to having a narrow grip--now that your grip is a bit wider, your bench should increase. It is REALLY hard to keep straight forearms and a straight bar path (read: impossible) when you're using a narrow grip, unless you want to flare your elbows out 90*.
Back to top Go down
http://iowapowerlifting.com
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   David Petersen's Log - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 25, 2013 1:13 pm

Nathan Poage wrote:
KevinAlvy wrote:
Nathan Poage wrote:

You're gonna be disappoint.  Second day in a row of 8x3 speed deadlifts with bands.

Can I ask why the change to bands?
Back to top Go down
Nathan Poage
Master
Master
Nathan Poage

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   David Petersen's Log - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 25, 2013 1:25 pm

KKeough wrote:
Nathan Poage wrote:
KevinAlvy wrote:
Nathan Poage wrote:

Can I ask why the change to bands?
I gotta need, a need for speed RFD. Maybe it's just mental, but I feel faster with bands. When I have time I'm going to put some videos in kinovea and measure my acceleration for CAT purposes and see what generates the most force. Also my best deadlift gains were when I was using bands so...
Back to top Go down
KevinAlvy
Elite
Elite
KevinAlvy

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   David Petersen's Log - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 25, 2013 1:31 pm

One things bands actually do is allow you to pull unnattily fast

The tension at the top stops you from hyperextending

If you pull that fast with straight wheyt you die
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   David Petersen's Log - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 25, 2013 1:40 pm

Nathan Poage wrote:

I gotta need, a need for speed RFD.  Maybe it's just mental, but I feel faster with bands.  When I have time I'm going to put some videos in kinovea and measure my acceleration for CAT purposes and see what generates the most force.  Also my best deadlift gains were when I was using bands so...

I hate to inform you of this, but this is a very Westside-y observation to make.

If the weight you're working with is low enough, you might be faster with bands versus without them.
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   David Petersen's Log - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 25, 2013 1:40 pm

KevinAlvy wrote:

If you pull that fast with straight wheyt you die

Death via head through ceiling.
Back to top Go down
David Petersen
Class II
Class II
David Petersen

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   David Petersen's Log - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 25, 2013 1:58 pm

Very interesting counter-opinions to what you hear from someone who lives and dies by Westside.
Back to top Go down
David Petersen
Class II
Class II
David Petersen

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   David Petersen's Log - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 25, 2013 7:48 pm

7/25/13
Cycle 1 Week 3
Deadlift:320
135x2x5
160x2x1
185x1
205x1
Belt
240x5
275x3
305x1+ did 10. So I have done 295x6 and 290x8 for AMAPs before this. Once I hit 8 I told myself there is no way I am not getting 10...I semi-reset (brought hips up and back down) for each rep. And at the end was taking about a 3 second pause for each rep. Two major cues...1) Tuck the neck 2) Fucking breath...I felt like I was going to explode on rep 10....Training partners are awesome, and I would suck without them. I really lost my ability to think after the first few reps of this set, and was relying solely on their verbal cues...
Front Squats 135x5x5 worked from a one second to 5 second pause on last rep of each set.
Hamstring curls 80x3x12
Back raises 3x15
Leg raises 1x12x15x12
Back to top Go down
babyeater
Class II
Class II
babyeater

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   David Petersen's Log - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 26, 2013 11:24 am

did you wake up with burst capillaries on your face? Then you know you had a good deadlift AMRAP.
Back to top Go down
http://www.babyeaterlifts.wordpress.com
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   David Petersen's Log - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 26, 2013 11:31 am

We have members on our team who fall to pieces if you try to tell them anything during a set. Looking at you, Coffman.
Back to top Go down
David Petersen
Class II
Class II
David Petersen

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   David Petersen's Log - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 26, 2013 10:19 pm

OHP:120
90x5
100x3
115x1+ did 8

Floor press 135x5x8

Lats 100x3x12
Upper back
Arms

Some personal shit culminated last night and left me feeling pretty shitty (tired) all day today, including when I was at the gym. I turned into a raging rhino before my top set so I didn’t totally bitch out and cut myself short.

Presses felt good. After my 8th rep on my AMAP I knew I wouldn’t get 9 but I went for it anyways. I was surprised how fast it came off my chest and for a second thought I might be able to lock it out just given how much momentum I had developed. It didn’t happen, but I’m still happy with a rep PR.

Floor pressing with the new grip/bar path. Felt really good.

So I’ll open this question up to everyone. After my main lift I usually do some sort of supplemental lift (something that closely mimics my main lifts). Right now it is:

Deadlift day=Front Squat

OHP day=Floor Press

Squat day=Good Mornings

Bench Day=Close grip bench

Any comments on repxset here? I know 5x5 is kinda the “can’t go wrong with” scheme. Also any input on how you would do progression here? I thought about linear periodization, but I know that could potentially be too much, and also take away from my training of the main lifts.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   David Petersen's Log - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

David Petersen's Log
Page 3 of 17Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10 ... 17  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Ultimate Iowa Powerlifting :: General :: Training Logs-
Jump to: