Ultimate Iowa Powerlifting
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Ultimate Iowa Powerlifting

A forum dedicated to powerlifting in Iowa and Iowa City

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

David Petersen's Log

Go down 
+7
zchaib
Nathan Poage
Quadfather
Seth
Chris Anderson
Keosawa
David Petersen
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10 ... 17  Next
AuthorMessage
Quadfather
Class I
Class I
Quadfather

David Petersen's Log - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   David Petersen's Log - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 26, 2013 11:19 pm

babyeater wrote:
did you wake up with burst capillaries on your face? Then you know you had a good deadlift AMRAP.

one guy here at 22nd just dislocated a rib during deadlift training
Back to top Go down
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   David Petersen's Log - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 27, 2013 2:00 am

Allprocro wrote:
So I’ll open this question up to everyone. After my main lift I usually do some sort of supplemental lift (something that closely mimics my main lifts). Right now it is:

Deadlift day=Front Squat

OHP day=Floor Press

Squat day=Good Mornings

Bench Day=Close grip bench

Any comments on repxset here? I know 5x5 is kinda the “can’t go wrong with” scheme. Also any input on how you would do progression here? I thought about linear periodization, but I know that could potentially be too much, and also take away from my training of the main lifts.

This is somewhat close to what I like to do for assistance work, so I'll comment: I like to do whatever the fuck I feel like. This is typically singles, doubles, triples, or a few sets of ten.

Something I end up doing a lot is the opposite of whatever I just did-- e.g. if I just did heavy benching, I'll do some overhead work for volume. I like to do a lot of lift variations here--I rarely do main lifts back to back. So, I will do fat gripz work, or pause squats, or deficit deadlifts. This is almost all "autoregulation" work. I keep my main lifts pretty strictly programmed, for the most part (i.e. basic peaking programs), so my assistance and accessory work is where I get to have some fun.
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   David Petersen's Log - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 27, 2013 10:45 am

Broceidon wrote:
babyeater wrote:
did you wake up with burst capillaries on your face? Then you know you had a good deadlift AMRAP.

Janis has done this too.

Back to top Go down
http://iowapowerlifting.com
babyeater
Class II
Class II
babyeater

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   David Petersen's Log - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 27, 2013 10:52 am

KKeough wrote:
Broceidon wrote:
babyeater wrote:

Janis has done this too.

Yeah, rib issues: more than once. Wish I could say not even once on this one.
Back to top Go down
http://www.babyeaterlifts.wordpress.com
David Petersen
Class II
Class II
David Petersen

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   David Petersen's Log - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 27, 2013 2:53 pm

7/27/13 10:30 AM…..
Squat: 290
Barxabunch
95x5
135x3
160x1
185x1
Belt
215x5.
245x3
275x1+ Did 5.
Good Mornings 95x4x8 95x1xfailure

Ham Curls 3x12
Back Raises 3x15
Leg Raises 3x12

I wasn’t planning on getting into the gym till this afternoon but got a text that one of the guys had to be out of town later so we got to lift early and I the gym around 10:30 am, after waking up at 10 (I work really late/early depending on how you look at it… I promise I’m not a lazy POS). Lifted on an empty stomach + God only knows how much coffee (I’ll humble myself and say I really overdid it on the coffee and am paying for it right now)..But I felt good while I was squatting so I don’t really care…#diary

Got dat dere hamburg with everyone afterwards. Nothing like 4 powerlifters (and me) trying to eat off one booth….Especially when the two lefties sat on opposite sides of each other…#suckstosuck
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   David Petersen's Log - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 27, 2013 3:00 pm

Lefties have to stick together.
Back to top Go down
http://iowapowerlifting.com
David Petersen
Class II
Class II
David Petersen

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   David Petersen's Log - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 27, 2013 6:36 pm

KKeough wrote:
Lefties have to stick together.

It was just all around poor planning on our part. The other lefty is also the biggest guy, and I am the smallest. So it would have made sense to have us sit next to each other...yeah we just dropped the ball. We were kind of a hassle to take care of. I'm pretty sure we all tipped like 50% or more.
Back to top Go down
David Petersen
Class II
Class II
David Petersen

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   David Petersen's Log - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 28, 2013 12:07 am

So I’ve had nothing better to do today than sit around the house and be miserable after downing 60 ounces of coffee this morning. I’ve done some weird analysis of where I think I might be at come November.

I’m not too math savvy (at all) so these are pretty low-level models of prediction. The biggest variable I cannot control for with these is the law of diminishing return. Even if I am still a novice and milking newb gains, it is reasonable to think that I will be able to take less advantage of said newb gains for the next 15 weeks.

Previous Progress:

I started 5/3/1 December 10th of 2012. I had totally of 235-155-265. My mock meet was July 14th. That is 216 days of time. Minus 30 days of training I missed while I was MIA for a while. 186 days or 27 weeks (rounded up). I made 205 pounds of progress in 27 weeks (315-195-350). Or 7.6 pounds on my total per week.

My next fresh cycle of 5/3/1 starts this Tuesday. If I stop training the Tuesday of the meet that is 15 weeks of training time. So if progress is identical I will put 114 pounds on my total and have an estimated total of 974.

If interested the by lift version of this model predicts: 360-217-397.

This might end up being the same exact thing twice but I thought it sounded different…So different model??

With 5/3/1 multi-rep PRs are far more frequent than single rep PRs. You have a building phase, and really don’t see a single rep PR until you are about to stall. I just hit 95% of my training max for 5 today (really 85% of my true 1RM). This estimate is based off of how much I outperformed whatever my training max was at the time of the meet, and what my training weight will be the week before my meet plus that.

Assuming I compete four or five, three-week cycles before the meet for sure it would put my training weights at.
Squat: 330/340
Bench: 200/205
Deadlift: 360/370

I out performed my training maxes at my mock meet by:
Squat: 25
Bench: 15
Deadlift: 30

So my estimated meet totals would be 355-215-390 (960) with four cycles and 365-220-400 (985) with five cycles.

I did this knowing these would probably predict short of 1,000 but was unsure how short. They were actually closer than I thought.

Every pound counts.

1,000 or bust.
Back to top Go down
David Petersen
Class II
Class II
David Petersen

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   David Petersen's Log - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 28, 2013 7:46 pm

7/28/13
Bench: 180
Bar 3x10-12 2x6 1x3
65x6
95x3
115x1
135x5
155x3
170x1+ did 5. Paused.
Close Grip 95x10 115x3x5
DB Rows 45x15 60x12 80x8
Pump the arms

I wasn’t sure the best way to transition into my wider grip, so I just decided to go for it and see where I ended up. Did a couple extra sets with the bar to get myself use to the new wider grip. Also I am switching to a thumbs wrapped and not a false grip.
I felt super explosive, or maybe it was just mental. I’m not sure. It was the first time I ever heard 135 chug at the top. I was thinking triple for 170, and when I ended up with 5 I was pretty excited.
Back to top Go down
David Petersen
Class II
Class II
David Petersen

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   David Petersen's Log - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 29, 2013 6:14 pm

7/29/13
Deadlift:330
Barxabunch
135x2x5
160x2x3
185x2x1
Belt
215x5
250x5
280x5+ Did 13. Reset hips after every rep. As I was alone at the gym, some reps were pretty; others were not as I had no verbal cues. I felt a few really good reps in here. Some I could tell my hips were too high, and made it tough to get those glutes firing.
Ham Curls 3x12 1x30
Back Raises 1x15 1x15 with band 1x15
Good Mornings 135x3x3 Totally forgot about these and my low back was on fire after back raises so I just did a simple 3x3.
Leg Raises 2x15

Notes: My plan was to not train today. But work threw me a curve ball and I worked 5-12. This meant I had an entire day of nothing, which is not okay. I don’t do well with nothing. I took a nap after work and went to the gym.

I’m back above my training max that was pre-mock meet. So pretty much everything from here on out will be a rep, weight, or both PR.

Picture of the day….Also I put a hole in the other one….God damnit…

David Petersen's Log - Page 4 Photo_10
Back to top Go down
David Petersen
Class II
Class II
David Petersen

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   David Petersen's Log - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 30, 2013 6:18 pm

7/30/13

OHP:125
Warm Ups
80x5
95x5
105x5+ did 15. Rep PR. The last time 125 was my training weight was my fourth cycle. So the middle to end of February. I hit 105 for 6 and couldn’t lock out 7. My realistic goal for this AMAP was 10 and my long shot was maybe I could do 11 or 12…So when I did 15 I was pretty fucking pumped.

Floor Bench
155x8x3 135x15

Squeeze
Lat pulldown 3x12
Face Pulls 3x15
Arms Superset 3x15

Notes--Between the increased volume on the press (as a result of resetting my training weight), the floor pressing, and accessory work, my triceps are getting smoked. Which is good, obviously.

I won't train tomorrow as I will be spending the day getting ready to leave for Oregon. I get picked up tomorrow night and will spend the night/next day in Cedar Rapids waiting to go to the airport for my 8pm flight. I'm going to try and find a place to train Thursday before I have to leave for the airport as my flight to Eugene gets in around 11:30 on Thursday night. I'll get up and train Friday in Oregon and then spend the weekend camping, and be back in the gym Monday. I think I am going to end up training at the Y in Eugene. We shall see how that goes. If I don't have time to post my logs I'll throw them up Monday from Oregon.

Also getting Chiro work done Thursday.
Back to top Go down
Quadfather
Class I
Class I
Quadfather

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   David Petersen's Log - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 30, 2013 6:25 pm

Allprocro wrote:
I get picked up tomorrow night and will spend the night/next day in Cedar Rapids waiting to go to the airport for my 8pm flight. I'm going to try and find a place to train Thursday before I have to leave for the airport as my flight to Eugene gets in around 11:30 on Thursday night.

there is a powerlifting friendly gym somewhere in CR. I think keosawa knows the name but in either case you can browse the internet
Back to top Go down
David Petersen
Class II
Class II
David Petersen

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   David Petersen's Log - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 30, 2013 6:40 pm

Broceidon wrote:
Allprocro wrote:
I get picked up tomorrow night and will spend the night/next day in Cedar Rapids waiting to go to the airport for my 8pm flight. I'm going to try and find a place to train Thursday before I have to leave for the airport as my flight to Eugene gets in around 11:30 on Thursday night.

there is a powerlifting friendly gym somewhere in CR. I think keosawa knows the name but in either case you can browse the internet

It is probably The Anvil. I have a friend who trains for strongman there. Already sent him a message seeing if he will be around on Thursday. Also who is Keosawa?I haven't seen that name around the forums yet.

*edit* I just used my brain. Keosawa is Kyle??
Back to top Go down
Nathan Poage
Master
Master
Nathan Poage

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   David Petersen's Log - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 30, 2013 9:46 pm

For not being a math guy, you dropped a lot of math in that post;) . From personal experience, don't get fixated on numbers this far out or else you're going to have a bad time. Just keep milking your gains until the meet, figure your openers, and let the chips fall where they may.
Back to top Go down
http://www.lemonparty.com
David Petersen
Class II
Class II
David Petersen

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   David Petersen's Log - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 31, 2013 8:24 pm

7/31/13
Squat: 300
Warm ups
195x5
225x5 Knee Wraps, wait what?
255x5+ Did 7. No wraps
295x2 Wraps

So plans changed and I wasn't going to be able to train tomorrow so I went in today. Will bench Friday morning in Oregon and then back to a normal schedule on Monday.

Notes: Sooooo Brian asked me what I thought about wrapping for the meet in November. I told him I had thought about it but was not sure. He pulled out a brand spankin new pair from his bag that he has as an extra pair, and said I could borrow them till I got my own/till the meet in November....Soooo we gave it a whirl....He wrapped them pretty loose for my first set, just so I got a feel for them...I noticed how much further back I could sit, and also noticed I was probably in a position I would loose my balance if I didn't have wraps on. I did my AMAP without the wraps just because I didn't want to do a max-effort lift with wraps. After that I decided to throw 295 on the bar and have him pull the wraps a little tighter. Originally was just going to do a single, but it felt so good I did a double....

I use a bit of stretch reflex/rebound out of the hole...That pretty much went away when the wraps came on...They almost were paused reps...I think this is all mental/me thinking if I don't take my time on the decent/out of the hole I will fall...

So I pretty much have no idea what I am doing with wraps. Any advice at all on everything wrap related would be awesome...Also how I should incorporate them into my training if I plan on competing with them in November.

Also new toy!
David Petersen's Log - Page 4 94575911
Back to top Go down
Quadfather
Class I
Class I
Quadfather

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   David Petersen's Log - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 31, 2013 8:32 pm

Allprocro wrote:
So I pretty much have no idea what I am doing with wraps. Any advice at all on everything wrap related would be awesome...Also how I should incorporate them into my training if I plan on competing with them in November.

When I first used knee wraps, I watched this video and it gave me some ideas to try out. Personally, I like the exposed X because I can suck a lot out of them when I am in the hole. Also, I like to use wraps on max effort days just so that I can get used to having heavy weight on my back. On Keosawa's youtube, he has a way to wrap that is similar to the spiral.
Back to top Go down
Nathan Poage
Master
Master
Nathan Poage

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   David Petersen's Log - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 31, 2013 8:41 pm

Wouldn't you want to sit into the wraps, not backwards? I'm still natty and lift with ethics (sans wraps) but it seems like the most optimal way to get rebound out of your wraps is to load them quickly and forcefully, ie stretch reflex and lots of knee flexion.
Back to top Go down
http://www.lemonparty.com
David Petersen
Class II
Class II
David Petersen

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   David Petersen's Log - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 31, 2013 8:42 pm

Jesus those were a lot tighter than I did today..Haha....(cringe)....He wrapped them with the full X method. Also he started below the knee not on top, and reason for one over the other??
Back to top Go down
David Petersen
Class II
Class II
David Petersen

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   David Petersen's Log - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 31, 2013 8:45 pm

Nathan Poage wrote:
Wouldn't you want to sit into the wraps, not backwards?  I'm still natty and lift with ethics (sans wraps) but it seems like the most optimal way to get rebound out of your wraps is to load them quickly and forcefully, ie stretch reflex and lots of knee flexion.

I don't know what any of this means..So I'm going to watch and hopefully learn.
Back to top Go down
Quadfather
Class I
Class I
Quadfather

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   David Petersen's Log - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 31, 2013 8:57 pm

Allprocro wrote:
Jesus those were a lot tighter than I did today..Haha....(cringe)....He wrapped them with the full X method. Also he started below the knee not on top, and reason for one over the other??

Three ways to tell if your knee wraps are tight enough:
1) You cannot bend your knees
2) You haul @$$ to unwrap your knees after a set
3) After you unwrap, you have no color in the area that was wrapped

Best way to wrap tight is to give the wraps a good pull after every revolution. I did not like the spiral because I felt like I was always coming loose/undone. I tried the Nichols criss-cross but I did not have nearly enough wrap to go around. With the X, I could feel the the X stretching like a sling shot at bottom, waiting to explode me out of the hole.
Back to top Go down
David Petersen
Class II
Class II
David Petersen

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   David Petersen's Log - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 31, 2013 9:04 pm

Allprocro wrote:
Nathan Poage wrote:
Wouldn't you want to sit into the wraps, not backwards?  I'm still natty and lift with ethics (sans wraps) but it seems like the most optimal way to get rebound out of your wraps is to load them quickly and forcefully, ie stretch reflex and lots of knee flexion.

I don't know what any of this means..So I'm going to watch and hopefully learn.

So after watching Kyle's video I understand this haha...Brian didn't have time to really explain it the way Kyle did but said that the narrower your stance the more you will usually get out of wraps...

Obviously what you said makes a lot of sense... I'll put my squatting into context...I squat with a very beginner like stance, slightly outside of shoulder width. I am still at the point where getting my hips back is something I need to work on. For some reason it just felt easier to sit back into the squat with wraps on..I certainly wasn't going crazy wide and going back back back, and I really didn't mean it to sound like I was.

Like Kyle said in the video the weight gained from someone with an ultra-wide stance might be negligible. Is it possible that for them wraps just provide a means to sit back into their squat?
Back to top Go down
Quadfather
Class I
Class I
Quadfather

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   David Petersen's Log - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 31, 2013 9:12 pm

There are certain brands of knee wraps meant for wide squatting. The only one that comes to mind are the ones from EliteFTS. My stance is similar to yours (slightly outside shoulder width) and I still get some rebound from my Inzer Iron Zs.
Back to top Go down
David Petersen
Class II
Class II
David Petersen

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   David Petersen's Log - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 31, 2013 9:17 pm

Broceidon wrote:
There are certain brands of knee wraps meant for wide squatting. The only one that comes to mind are the ones from EliteFTS. My stance is similar to yours (slightly outside shoulder width) and I still get some rebound from my Inzer Iron Zs.

The ones I am using are Heavy EliteFTS 250 CM. Makes sense, the guy who is letting me use them is a pretty wide stanced squatter.
Back to top Go down
David Petersen
Class II
Class II
David Petersen

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   David Petersen's Log - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 01, 2013 7:05 pm

8/1/13
Sit on my ass day...I really hate sitting at airports...Someone save me....

Anyways I met with the chiro today. He worked on my shoulders/neck and then gave me an adjustment...I had never been to a chiro before today...The adjustment sounded like I died...I just feel weird across my upper back and down into my arms right now....

He said the shoulder issue is an adhesion problem, and explained what that meant..Everyone has noticed my left shoulder caves in a little while I bench, also the same shoulder gets really tender during any squat session. Will analyze, report back to him, and see what he recommends. The neck has just been stiff since my mock meet.
Back to top Go down
David Petersen
Class II
Class II
David Petersen

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   David Petersen's Log - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 04, 2013 4:04 pm

Late..
8/2/13
Bench: 185
120x5
140x5
160x5+ did 11. This is a pretty huge rep PR.

Close Grip
135x5x3

Rows 80x3x12
Face Pulls 3x15
Arms 3x15

And I'm about ready to leave to go to the YYYYMCAAA!!!! for today's session
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: David Petersen's Log   David Petersen's Log - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

David Petersen's Log
Page 4 of 17Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10 ... 17  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Ultimate Iowa Powerlifting :: General :: Training Logs-
Jump to: