Ultimate Iowa Powerlifting
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Ultimate Iowa Powerlifting

A forum dedicated to powerlifting in Iowa and Iowa City

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log

Go down 
+13
DDaddyKane
agleckler
Seth
badbackboi
LTomasiello
El Nel
Andy Awad
KevinAlvy
Nathan Poage
lowerpower25
rndchris
Keosawa
Quadfather
17 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11 ... 18  Next
AuthorMessage
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log   Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 05, 2014 10:05 pm

Nope, I know exactly where you're coming from. For the longest time, I was terrified of failing a squat, and it really affected my confidence. It helped me to practice dumping--I know that might sound silly, but the more times you bail yourself out under a heavy squat, the less concerned you'll feel about your ability to do it if and when the time comes.

Regardless of whether or not it's all in your head, you'll make progress when you build confidence. Sometimes that means abandoning a percentage-based approach and just using whatever on that day happens to "feel" right to you. If you're stalled out at 315 as a 180+ lb. guy, chances are you're not going to run much of a risk of detraining by training "too light" on any given session.
Back to top Go down
http://iowapowerlifting.com

PostSubject: Re: Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log   Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 05, 2014 10:53 pm

Yeah man load it up over 100% and just set it down on the pins. Do that slowly for like 10 reps and your leg fatigue will be on another level.
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log   Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 05, 2014 11:29 pm

Well, you should be capable of performing 150% of your 1RM for a controlled eccentric. Wink
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log   Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 06, 2014 12:13 am

My guess is that number decreases through training maturity since the eccentric strength almost seems like absolute strength vs max strength using Zatsiorsky's terms. Probably an apples an oranges example but my associations are very loose at this time at night
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log   Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 06, 2014 1:10 am

Will wrote:
very loose at this time at night

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
SSchwartsenator
Admin
SSchwartsenator

PostSubject: Re: Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log   Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 07, 2014 10:03 pm

04/07/4

Sheiko 31 Week 2 Day 1

Bench press:
1x5 @ 135
1x4 @ 145
2x3 @ 165
2x2 @ 190
3x1 @ 215 (2 touch and go, 1 1 second pause)

Squat :
1x5 @ 160
1x4 @ 190
2x3 @ 225
5x2 @ 252

Bench press:
1x5 @ 135
1x5 @ 155
5x5 @ 180

Upright Rows:
1x10 @ 195
3x10 @ 165

Dips:
3x10 w/ 20lbs
1x7 bodyweight

Comments:

I don't know what kind of bizarro world I've stepped in, but my bench just keeps feeling better and better and my squats feel like shit. I still can't peg it, I think it might be that the constant volume isn't allowing me to properly recover, so the weights feel heavier than they should to me. I got through the doubles no problem, they just didn't feel "right". When it came down to the last few sets, My hips came up first and then had to finish off "good morning" style. Maybe that's a weakness in my lower back? Don't know. Just gonna keep it all in the back of my head for now and see if my squats get any better.
Back to top Go down
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log   Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 07, 2014 11:08 pm

Get your upper back stronger. Maintain your upper back arch. You probably need stronger lats and abs. Brace your midsection better. You might want to see what you can change to stay more upright as well.
Back to top Go down
SSchwartsenator
Admin
SSchwartsenator

PostSubject: Re: Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log   Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 10, 2014 12:49 am

Chris Anderson wrote:
Get your upper back stronger. Maintain your upper back arch. You probably need stronger lats and abs. Brace your midsection better. You might want to see what you can change to stay more upright as well.

Really? Out of everything I figured my upper back would be one of my strong suits. I could be wrong. I do plan on incorporating more rows into my routine though.

Last edited by SSchwartsenator on Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
SSchwartsenator
Admin
SSchwartsenator

PostSubject: Re: Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log   Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 10, 2014 1:09 am

04/09/14

Sheiko 31 Week 2 Day 2

Deficit deadlift:
1x3 @ 195
2x3 @ 235
4x3 @ 255 (filmed 2 sets)

Bench press:
1x6 @ 120
1x5 @ 145
2x4 @ 165
2x3 @ 180
2x2 @ 190
2x1 @ 205
1x3 @ 185
1x5 @ 155
1x10 @ 135

Cable Flys:
1x10 @ 32.5lbs each
3x10 @ 37.5lbs each
1x10 @ 32.5lbs each

Deadlift:
1x3 @ 225
2x3 @ 255
2x3 @ 295  (filmed 2 sets)
1x2 @ 335
2x2 @ 315
1x2 @ 325

Lat Pulldown:
1x10 @ 120
1x10 @ 140
1x10 @ 160
1x10 @ 150
1x10 @ 140

Comments:

I'm so torn every time I leave the gym now. My bench feels phenomenal every single session, and this may be me just getting cocky, but I can smell that 315 a few cycles away. I've pegged my sticking point (off the chest about 2 inches) so I've incorporated A LOT of paused benching. It's not long, but just half-second or so competition setting pauses. On the other hand, I came to the gym with my short-shorts cocked, locked, and ready to rock, but my squat and deadlift feel like shit. I hate to say it, but they may actually be going DOWN. I don't know this for sure though, I'm not planning another 1RM testing for at least 7 weeks (2 weeks left in this cycle, one more cycle, and a 1 week deload).

I recorded a few deadlifting sets, but unfortunately my phone died before I could get to the higher weights. I trained beltless today, because y not? According to programming I was supposed to hit 4x2 at 335 but I could only get one set, so that really bummed me out. I lowered the weight and finished off the sets, but left discouraged. Feel free to comment on anything you see in the videos. Again, I wish I had recorded the higher weights to see form breakdown, but oh well. You guys can just 'mire the short-shorts instead.

Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log   Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 10, 2014 8:14 am

Listen: training beltless, if it's not expressly written in your programming, is setting yourself up for failure. Most everyone I know either pulls less beltless, or only pulls beltless because they don't use a belt. For some people, it makes a considerable difference. If you're going to change the lift to a beltless deadlift, suddenly you're working under a new 1RM with a new condition, and your percentages have just gone way up.
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log   Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 10, 2014 8:20 am

SSchwartsenator wrote:
Chris Anderson wrote:

Really? Out of everything I figured my upper back would be one of my strong suits. I could be wrong. I do plan on incorporating more rows into my routine though.

This is just my opinion, but it could also be that your upper back so overpowers the rest of your body that you unconsciously give up upper-back tightness in order to improve leverage. Identifying strength weaknesses is a very inexact science, and what appears to be the point of form breakdown can be a weakness, a non-issue, or even a strength. Possibly the best thing that you can do if you're not confident in an answer is train with a weight that allows for good technique, utilize that technique, and try different secondary movements for periods of time to see if they help. Doing certain things, like reinforcing core strength, are a pretty safe bet.
Back to top Go down
SSchwartsenator
Admin
SSchwartsenator

PostSubject: Re: Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log   Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 10, 2014 8:35 am

Kyle Keough wrote:
Listen: training beltless, if it's not expressly written in your programming, is setting yourself up for failure. Most everyone I know either pulls less beltless, or only pulls beltless because they don't use a belt. For some people, it makes a considerable difference. If you're going to change the lift to a beltless deadlift, suddenly you're working under a new 1RM with a new condition, and your percentages have just gone way up.

That actually makes a lot of sense... I actually just ordered a new belt a few days ago. I got sick of my shitty elitefts one with plastic in it, and my only other option was a shitty velcro one that I use only for bench. I'll keep an open mind about the deadlifting until I attack it again with a belt.
Back to top Go down
Quadfather
Class I
Class I
Quadfather

PostSubject: Re: Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log   Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 10, 2014 9:39 am

Kyle Keough wrote:

Repped. I also have made this mistake a few times
Back to top Go down
Andy Awad
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log   Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 10, 2014 7:58 pm

I feel you about the squatting fatigue. I'm not running Sheiko, but I recently upped my squatting frequency a lot. So much so that my legs were feeling achy every time I squatted, and I just didn't feel recovered and I too felt like my squat was regressing. There is a considerable conditioning phase I think when increasing frequency. I've actually taken my frequency down a bit again because I wasn't making progress. I'll see where that takes me.

And dude, what Kyle said. You should absolutely not be discouraged that your deadlift didn't go according to plan when you removed the belt. It can change things considerably.
Back to top Go down
Andy Awad
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log   Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 10, 2014 7:59 pm

And those shorts are sufficiently short. I'm impressed.
Back to top Go down
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log   Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 10, 2014 9:03 pm

Hips are way too low when starting your deadlift. Your hips go straight up before the bar leaves the ground. Just start with the hips higher and pull back and up.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log   Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 10, 2014 11:45 pm

Was gonna say the same thing as Chris. Posting anyway.
Back to top Go down
SSchwartsenator
Admin
SSchwartsenator

PostSubject: Re: Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log   Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 14, 2014 10:45 am

Chris Anderson wrote:
Hips are way too low when starting your deadlift. Your hips go straight up before the bar leaves the ground. Just start with the hips higher and pull back and up.

It feels really weird having my hips higher up. I feel like I'm not getting everything I could get out of my legs! What you see in the videos is ALREADY an improvement. I used to be on that snatch stance game.

Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log - Page 4 The_snatch

dat depth....

but real talk, I'll work on starting even higher. I know it's wasting energy by starting with hips too low.

Will wrote:
Was gonna say the same thing as Chris. Posting anyway.

Repped for sticking to your guns.
Back to top Go down
SSchwartsenator
Admin
SSchwartsenator

PostSubject: Re: Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log   Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 14, 2014 10:12 pm

04/14/14

Sheiko 31 Week 3 Day 1

Bench press:
1x5 @ 115
1x4 @ 145
2x3 @ 165
5x3 @ 190

Squat:
1x5 @ 160
1x5 @ 190
1x5
1x8
1x3
1x6             > @ 225. 60 second rests between. (basically cardio... wtf is dis shit)
1x2
1x7
1x4

Bench press:
1x5 @ 135
1x5 @ 155
5x5 @ 165

Glute Ham Raise:
5x10

Comments:
Got a new belt. That shit is at least 912310293812 times better than what I've been using. Felt really good during squats. Can't wait to use it on deadlifts Wednesday. It's 'Merican as fuck, so it's pretty much like getting gains in the mail that smell like leather, 5.56 ammo, and freedom.

OP with delivery, hot and ready:
Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log - Page 4 XvT1rjJ

Also, this is my second pyramid of death on squats I did, but this time I wasn't completely shot afterwards. I really feel like that's a victory in itself. I was gassed, and sweaty (bcuz cardio), but a nice 5 minute rest before moving on to bench and I was good to go. Overall solid day. Ready for moar.
Back to top Go down
Quadfather
Class I
Class I
Quadfather

PostSubject: Re: Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log   Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 14, 2014 10:21 pm

SSchwartsenator wrote:
I was gassed, and sweaty (bcuz cardio), but a nice 5 minute rest before moving on to bench and I was good to go.

Sometimes when you have multiple bar lifts in one session, it is a good idea to take 5-10 minutes to give your body a chance to breathe, relax, and prepare for the next lift. Just those few extra minutes can make the difference between finishing and failing
Back to top Go down
SSchwartsenator
Admin
SSchwartsenator

PostSubject: Re: Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log   Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 14, 2014 10:26 pm

Brometheus wrote:
SSchwartsenator wrote:
I was gassed, and sweaty (bcuz cardio), but a nice 5 minute rest before moving on to bench and I was good to go.

Sometimes when you have multiple bar lifts in one session, it is a good idea to take 5-10 minutes to give your body a chance to breathe, relax, and prepare for the next lift. Just those few extra minutes can make the difference between finishing and failing

I agree, and usually do that actually. I was just making a direct comparison to the last crazy-no-rest squat session I did. Afterwards my CNS was just completely shot. No matter how much rest, I was just NOT getting anymore work done that day. This time it was just fatigue, which goes away quickly. I was glad to see my body adapted to that in just three weeks.
Back to top Go down
SSchwartsenator
Admin
SSchwartsenator

PostSubject: Re: Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log   Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 15, 2014 4:30 pm

So I was checking out the calendar and the UPA meet in July is 13 weeks away. I'm still unsure if I can do it or not, depending on whether I have to go away for 2-3 weeks in June to do training with the Marines in the mountains of Nevada. If I do get orders to do it I won't compete because my body will be absolutely shot. Last time I did this training I lost ten pounds and god knows how much on my lifts. If I get slotted to go to training in August, I think I will compete. I know I won't be doing anything groundbreaking, hell my numbers will probably be embarrassing compared to others, but I honestly don't care. I feel like meet experience would be good for me.

With that being said, I need to start prepping pronto. I have one more week left on sheiko 31. I've been looking at the prep and comp cycles for sheiko but they're tailored to people with ABSURD totals (1700 @ 198). Basically the people on that program are playin' pro ball and I'm just learning to hold a bat in my hands.

So I'm kind of at a dead end on what kind of cycle to go with now to get ready for a competition. OP is lost in the sauce...
Back to top Go down
Nathan Poage
Master
Master
Nathan Poage

PostSubject: Re: Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log   Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 15, 2014 4:45 pm

Hhhnnnng, dat belt!

You could just plan on competing in July but don't sign up until after you get your orders. If you end up going west, young man, just test your lifts before you leave if you want and it's no skin off your back and if you don't go until August you're already on track to compete.
Back to top Go down
http://www.lemonparty.com
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log   Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 15, 2014 5:12 pm

Why do you get to go do cool things? Fucking line units.
Back to top Go down
SSchwartsenator
Admin
SSchwartsenator

PostSubject: Re: Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log   Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 15, 2014 7:14 pm

Chris Anderson wrote:
Why do you get to go do cool things? Fucking line units.

Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log - Page 4 140123-M-PO905-037

YOU JELLY BRO?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log   Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log
Page 4 of 18Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11 ... 18  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Ultimate Iowa Powerlifting :: General :: Training Logs-
Jump to: