Ultimate Iowa Powerlifting
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Ultimate Iowa Powerlifting

A forum dedicated to powerlifting in Iowa and Iowa City

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Nathan Poage's Log

Go down 
+7
Logan Joseph
GFou
babyeater
Keosawa
Chris Anderson
KevinAlvy
Nathan Poage
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 16 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 33 ... 37  Next
AuthorMessage
Nathan Poage
Master
Master
Nathan Poage

Nathan Poage's Log - Page 29 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nathan Poage's Log   Nathan Poage's Log - Page 29 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 08, 2013 11:36 am

KKeough wrote:
Drink your water, brah. Are you planning on using any dandelion root? Taking some a few times a day helps me.

And if you're desperate on Wednesday morning, there's always magnesium citrate.
No dandelion root, just black tea like Her Majesty intended. I hope I don't have to resort to the magnesium citrate.

After three gallons of water, an Old Chicago calzone, and a pound of Italian sausage (2.5x the RDA of Na) and spaghetti squash yesterday and a liter of tea this morning I was 164, so 162 before the tea.
Back to top Go down
http://www.lemonparty.com
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Nathan Poage's Log   Nathan Poage's Log - Page 29 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 08, 2013 11:56 am

You do what you have to do, and I'll look the other way.
Back to top Go down
http://iowapowerlifting.com
KevinAlvy
Elite
Elite
KevinAlvy

PostSubject: Re: Nathan Poage's Log   Nathan Poage's Log - Page 29 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 08, 2013 12:01 pm

Nathan Poage wrote:

After three gallons of water, an Old Chicago calzone, and a pound of Italian sausage (2.5x the RDA of Na) and spaghetti squash yesterday and a liter of tea this morning I was 164, so 162 before the tea.

das nice
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Nathan Poage's Log   Nathan Poage's Log - Page 29 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 08, 2013 2:12 pm

Also, it sounds like Grant might be able to make it down to Grand Natties to help you.

And Rich Peters said that Grand Natties is moving from Iowa to Wisconsin after this year.
Back to top Go down
Nathan Poage
Master
Master
Nathan Poage

PostSubject: Re: Nathan Poage's Log   Nathan Poage's Log - Page 29 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 08, 2013 2:45 pm

KKeough wrote:
Also, it sounds like Grant might be able to make it down to Grand Natties to help you.

And Rich Peters said that Grand Natties is moving from Iowa to Wisconsin after this year.

Jeez, you really pissed him off by not competing.
Back to top Go down
Nathan Poage
Master
Master
Nathan Poage

PostSubject: Re: Nathan Poage's Log   Nathan Poage's Log - Page 29 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 08, 2013 2:47 pm

7/8

Squat
Worked up to a fast 405 single with high bar and low bar doubles.

Bench
Worked up to a not so fast 250 single

Ring pull ups

Notes: I got 99 problems and they're all bench press.
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Nathan Poage's Log   Nathan Poage's Log - Page 29 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 08, 2013 3:50 pm

What are your openers going to be for the meet?
Back to top Go down
David Petersen
Class II
Class II
David Petersen

PostSubject: Re: Nathan Poage's Log   Nathan Poage's Log - Page 29 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 08, 2013 8:48 pm

Nathan Poage wrote:

This seems to be the case for most young lifters I follow, as well as myself...Most of the older lifters I talk to say the bench comes with time...I'm curious what some younger lifters with more expirence than me think. Is the bench something you think a younger lifter should work on more/put more emphasis on? Or do you think it is something that comes with time?
Back to top Go down
Quadfather
Class I
Class I
Quadfather

PostSubject: Re: Nathan Poage's Log   Nathan Poage's Log - Page 29 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 08, 2013 9:00 pm

I think bench is like everything else. Time, some technique, and working at it regularly will put you in a good position
Back to top Go down
KevinAlvy
Elite
Elite
KevinAlvy

PostSubject: Re: Nathan Poage's Log   Nathan Poage's Log - Page 29 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 08, 2013 9:25 pm

If by time you mean a decade. Phuuuuck I hate bench
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Nathan Poage's Log   Nathan Poage's Log - Page 29 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 08, 2013 10:26 pm

Allprocro wrote:
Nathan Poage wrote:

This seems to be the case for most young lifters I follow, as well as myself...Most of the older lifters I talk to say the bench comes with time...I'm curious what some younger lifters with more expirence than me think. Is the bench something you think a younger lifter should work on more/put more emphasis on? Or do you think it is something that comes with time?

It just depends upon the individual. Lifters with great leverages for the bench press will excel at it early; regardless, reaching an elite level in any lift usually takes a long amount of time.

Personally, I think every lift should be emphasized; there's no reason to short-change your bench press, or any other lift for that matter. Everything goes towards the total, and you can only go so far having a clear weak link. Obviously, you can build a good total without a bench as a beginning lifter, but eventually you need to develop it.
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Nathan Poage's Log   Nathan Poage's Log - Page 29 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 08, 2013 10:26 pm

KevinAlvy wrote:
If by time you mean a decade. Phuuuuck I hate bench

Same here, but I hate the thought of being shitty at any one lift. I mean, there are only three of them.
Back to top Go down
KevinAlvy
Elite
Elite
KevinAlvy

PostSubject: Re: Nathan Poage's Log   Nathan Poage's Log - Page 29 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 08, 2013 10:33 pm

Bench is the most respectable to suck at
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Nathan Poage's Log   Nathan Poage's Log - Page 29 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 08, 2013 10:36 pm

KevinAlvy wrote:

This is true. Sub-800 multi sumo deadlifting is the most cringeworthy shit.

But I think some people are just no-bench hipsters. Benching ironically (i.e. badly) because you're defining yourself against the bros doesn't make you cool.
Back to top Go down
KevinAlvy
Elite
Elite
KevinAlvy

PostSubject: Re: Nathan Poage's Log   Nathan Poage's Log - Page 29 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 08, 2013 10:40 pm

KKeough wrote:
KevinAlvy wrote:

This is true. Sub-800 multi sumo deadlifting is the most cringeworthy shit.

But I think some people are just no-bench hipsters. Benching ironically (i.e. badly) because you're defining yourself against the bros doesn't make you cool.

Spider-Manwtfamireading.jpeg

At least we have another anti sumo around though. IMO sub world class sumo is unacceptable

Last edited by KevinAlvy on Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
babyeater
Class II
Class II
babyeater

PostSubject: Re: Nathan Poage's Log   Nathan Poage's Log - Page 29 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 08, 2013 10:41 pm

I have the worst leverages for bench of any of you. It's been rough as hell getting the lift to come together for me, and the ONLY reason it probably has is because I've drilled so much volume in it. I have days where I spend set after set with embarrassingly low weight on the bar doing high reps (paused) going for as robotic technique as possible. It is paying the hell off.

I know no one's looking at me and thinking "wow, Janis is a good bencher." I have a mediocre bench max. But for a 114-class chick who spent at least half of her short time in powerlifting hating and really SUCKING at bench, what's happening with it right now is kind of fantastic. And I got there by being diligent about form and honest about benching within a weight range and RPE range that gives me a chance to execute quality work(ie the form isn't breaking down to the point of being shitty/the reps aren't moving stupidly slow).

Bench often and focus on quality. Bench, in my opinion, just edges out squat in its dependence on technique. JUST. And the squat is technical as f*ck, so obsessing over your technique on bench is how your early years in powerlifting would be best spent. Or you can just bang out horrible-looking sets subsequently injuring yourself, regressing, etc. This shit is all about patience.
Back to top Go down
http://www.babyeaterlifts.wordpress.com
KevinAlvy
Elite
Elite
KevinAlvy

PostSubject: Re: Nathan Poage's Log   Nathan Poage's Log - Page 29 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 08, 2013 10:45 pm

babyeater wrote:
Or you can just bang out horrible-looking sets subsequently injuring yourself, regressing, etc.

Anybody need tips on this, I'm a pro.

Brb srsly... Good for you Janis. I think a lot of us struggle with doing what is obviously correct. I know I do
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Nathan Poage's Log   Nathan Poage's Log - Page 29 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 08, 2013 10:48 pm

KevinAlvy wrote:

At least we have another anti sumo around though. IMO sub world class sumo is unacceptable

I'm not anti-sumo; just anti-shit multi sumo. Sub-800-lb. multi sumos from 275s and up is embarrassing for everyone.

Oh, and the suit helps. I don't care what anyone says. The suit helps. Otherwise, there would be more than one or two multi guys pulling conventional.
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Nathan Poage's Log   Nathan Poage's Log - Page 29 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 08, 2013 10:48 pm

KevinAlvy wrote:
babyeater wrote:
Or you can just bang out horrible-looking sets subsequently injuring yourself, regressing, etc.

Brb srsly... Good for you Janis. I think a lot of us struggle with doing what is obviously correct. I know I do

She has her shit together better than I do, that's for sure.
Back to top Go down
babyeater
Class II
Class II
babyeater

PostSubject: Re: Nathan Poage's Log   Nathan Poage's Log - Page 29 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 08, 2013 10:51 pm

KevinAlvy wrote:
babyeater wrote:

Oh man, do you know how embarrassing it is to go in there and just do set after set with 85 lb on the bar? I mean, it's all relative and I absolutely should probably be embarrassed at my "heavy" days with 115 or something but damn, 85 is just "that chick is wasting bench space, sed the bro" territory. So you just sit there and think "some day, doing this shitty work will allow me to do volume work days with heavier weight. This is worth it."

I don't know what it is with bench. I see so much dick-measuring going on with it in that gym. Dick-measuring followed by slamming the bar into bony sternums for forced reps and really bad spotting to finish off a given set.
Back to top Go down
babyeater
Class II
Class II
babyeater

PostSubject: Re: Nathan Poage's Log   Nathan Poage's Log - Page 29 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 08, 2013 11:03 pm

KKeough wrote:

Somewhere, a large man is warming up with your max.

Thanks for the info bro, I had absolutely no concept of this. None. It explains so much.
Back to top Go down
KevinAlvy
Elite
Elite
KevinAlvy

PostSubject: Re: Nathan Poage's Log   Nathan Poage's Log - Page 29 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 08, 2013 11:04 pm

babyeater wrote:
KKeough wrote:

Thanks for the info bro, I had absolutely no concept of this. None. It explains so much.

Are you guise sitting right next to each other
Back to top Go down
babyeater
Class II
Class II
babyeater

PostSubject: Re: Nathan Poage's Log   Nathan Poage's Log - Page 29 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 08, 2013 11:06 pm

KevinAlvy wrote:
babyeater wrote:
KKeough wrote:

Nah, I'm letting him do his post-workout haze thing in peace. For now. Dude[Kyle], you need to freaking eat.
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Nathan Poage's Log   Nathan Poage's Log - Page 29 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 08, 2013 11:11 pm

babyeater wrote:
KevinAlvy wrote:
babyeater wrote:
KKeough wrote:

Nah, I'm letting him do his post-workout haze thing in peace. For now. Dude[Kyle], you need to freaking eat.

Don't tell me how to live my life.
Back to top Go down
David Petersen
Class II
Class II
David Petersen

PostSubject: Re: Nathan Poage's Log   Nathan Poage's Log - Page 29 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 08, 2013 11:25 pm

2nd about sumo comment...It seems like more guys can pull (conv) over 900 than guys who can pull over 900 (sumo)..but an insane amount of multi sumo guys are low to mid 800 pullers....Maybe I am wrong, but that's just how it seems....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Nathan Poage's Log   Nathan Poage's Log - Page 29 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Nathan Poage's Log
Page 29 of 37Go to page : Previous  1 ... 16 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 33 ... 37  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Ultimate Iowa Powerlifting :: General :: Training Logs-
Jump to: