Ultimate Iowa Powerlifting
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Ultimate Iowa Powerlifting

A forum dedicated to powerlifting in Iowa and Iowa City

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Intramural Meet, Feb. 27th, CRWC

Go down 
+7
El Nel
rndchris
Seth
Quadfather
Nathan Poage
Keosawa
Chris Anderson
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

Intramural Meet, Feb. 27th, CRWC - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Intramural Meet, Feb. 27th, CRWC   Intramural Meet, Feb. 27th, CRWC - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 24, 2014 12:37 pm

I'll put you in as the registration assistant/all-around helper person.
Back to top Go down
El Nel
Class II
Class II
El Nel

PostSubject: Re: Intramural Meet, Feb. 27th, CRWC   Intramural Meet, Feb. 27th, CRWC - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 26, 2014 12:03 pm

Sign me up as "Nelson Colon". "Vargas" is my second last name. We, latinos have way too many names.
Back to top Go down
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: Intramural Meet, Feb. 27th, CRWC   Intramural Meet, Feb. 27th, CRWC - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 26, 2014 12:06 pm

Damn me and my cultural ignorance! Thanks for the heads up.
Back to top Go down
David Petersen
Class II
Class II
David Petersen

PostSubject: Re: Intramural Meet, Feb. 27th, CRWC   Intramural Meet, Feb. 27th, CRWC - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 26, 2014 5:53 pm

Seth wrote:
  It takes some fantastic training to PR in all three lifts at a powerlifting meet and from my experience and watching others it doesn't happen very often. 

You watch me much brah?
Back to top Go down
David Petersen
Class II
Class II
David Petersen

PostSubject: Re: Intramural Meet, Feb. 27th, CRWC   Intramural Meet, Feb. 27th, CRWC - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 26, 2014 6:00 pm

Will wrote:
Thoughts on something like this? First attempts are recent PRs and the subsequent attempts are bumped up 4-5%??? Is that a good or bad idea?

S 340, 355, 370
B 215, 225, 235
D 425, 445, 465

(The curious hypocrite that I am squatted in wraps this morning. Squatting is a little off anyway because I haven't been doing real squats and on top of that the warps made the movement pretty weird and I worked up to 335 but I'm going to pretend 340 is a recent max.)

Bad Idea...

Double what Seth said.

PRs on second attempts is fine, especially if you are newish to the sport. Just make them very small (I literally went with whatever the kilo conversion above my gym PR was at the November meet)...

The longer you spend in this sport the more you will want to open light. Progress will slow, and opening with PRs would be super risky. Other factors and variables start to have an affect as well. I see your point. At this point in your training you can probably go hit a PR in a meet that you just hit in training fairly easy... But sooner or later that will start to become more difficult. If you plan your attempts out smart there is no reason to think that you could still get to the top number you want. I've never heard a single person complain about leaving "too much" out on the platform... Because it just means it is there for the next meet to take...

I sorta had a little bit of this mindset going into my first meet. I changed the way I thought about my attempts. I ended up hitting every weight or higher in some case that I wanted to hit, and ended up with a total higher than I thought I could do.
Back to top Go down
Andy Awad
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: Intramural Meet, Feb. 27th, CRWC   Intramural Meet, Feb. 27th, CRWC - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 27, 2014 12:01 pm

I posted this in my training log, but maybe a few more people will see it here.

So I am 95% certain that I will enter the intramural meet on the 27th.  Only downside is I was really wanting to plan out like an 8 or 12 week training cycle for myself beginning this week.  I'd really like the meet experience, but now I need to kinda change my planning to focus on these next four weeks.  Anyone have some advice on what may be good for me to look into? Any good four week programs out there?  I'm not too familiar with training systems and I haven't followed one before.  I am ready to though.  I like working in the 3 to 6 rep range, but I'm also open to trying some higher rep stuff.  I just don't know now if this would be the ideal time to do that.
Back to top Go down
KevinAlvy
Elite
Elite
KevinAlvy

PostSubject: Re: Intramural Meet, Feb. 27th, CRWC   Intramural Meet, Feb. 27th, CRWC - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 29, 2014 12:16 pm

If you are looking for a cookie cutter program you can take a look at the sheiko stuff. Honestly, you should probably keep things as they are and do a taper/deload before the meat. Changing things at this point has a lot more downside than upside

in b4 sheiko ms or smolov...
Back to top Go down
Andy Awad
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: Intramural Meet, Feb. 27th, CRWC   Intramural Meet, Feb. 27th, CRWC - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 29, 2014 1:19 pm

Thanks Kevin. I found the sheiko stuff a few days ago. I actually did the first day of it on Monday (i liked it), and may try the second day of it today, but with a little lighter weights depending on how I'm feeling. It certainly seems different, and interesting too. I'd be wise to listen to you and keep things the same, but I'm coming back from a few weeks off from lifting, and I've been badly wanting to change my routine up for a while now. How good or bad of an idea this is remains to be seen. I'm feeling things around a bit and trying some new things. I don't think I'll fully commit to a new program though until the first week of march. If the meet doesn't go perfectly for me and I don't PR any of my lifts, I won't be too torn up about it.
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Intramural Meet, Feb. 27th, CRWC   Intramural Meet, Feb. 27th, CRWC - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 30, 2014 11:53 pm

Has intramurals said anything about a session cap, or about what would happen if registration exceeds the amount of lifters we can accommodate?
Back to top Go down
http://iowapowerlifting.com
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Intramural Meet, Feb. 27th, CRWC   Intramural Meet, Feb. 27th, CRWC - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 30, 2014 11:54 pm

KevinAlvy wrote:

in b4 sheiko ms

Let's not get carried away; you have to run CMS for a week before you graduate to MS. Otherwise, well, that just wouldn't be a good idea.
Back to top Go down
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: Intramural Meet, Feb. 27th, CRWC   Intramural Meet, Feb. 27th, CRWC - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 06, 2014 8:05 pm

Update: Coffman and I (with Keosawa too, maybe) will be meeting with RecServices on Tuesday. More info after then.
Back to top Go down
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: Intramural Meet, Feb. 27th, CRWC   Intramural Meet, Feb. 27th, CRWC - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 11, 2014 8:12 pm

bump so people will look at the update in the OP
Back to top Go down
SSchwartsenator
Admin
SSchwartsenator

PostSubject: Re: Intramural Meet, Feb. 27th, CRWC   Intramural Meet, Feb. 27th, CRWC - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 16, 2014 12:39 pm

Wish I would've known about this sooner so I could have worked my training to peak that week... Too short notice for me, but if you still need some volunteers for anything I'd be happy to help. I can bring my poms and be a cheerleader and everything
Back to top Go down
El Nel
Class II
Class II
El Nel

PostSubject: Re: Intramural Meet, Feb. 27th, CRWC   Intramural Meet, Feb. 27th, CRWC - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 16, 2014 2:10 pm

@SS...TL;DR

You can do it just for fun and not go as heavy. I think I'm going with something below my PRs in all three lifts because I want to get back to training the monday after.
Back to top Go down
SSchwartsenator
Admin
SSchwartsenator

PostSubject: Re: Intramural Meet, Feb. 27th, CRWC   Intramural Meet, Feb. 27th, CRWC - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 17, 2014 3:19 pm

El Nel wrote:
@SS...TL;DR

You can do it just for fun and not go as heavy. I think I'm going with something below my PRs in all three lifts because I want to get back to training the monday after.

You've got a good point, plus it can't hurt to get any sort of meet experience. I guess I'll throw my hat into the ring.

Intramural Meet, Feb. 27th, CRWC - Page 2 Challenger_Approaching_Jigglypuff
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Intramural Meet, Feb. 27th, CRWC   Intramural Meet, Feb. 27th, CRWC - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 17, 2014 3:50 pm

You should definitely do it! Most lifters just train like normal, then take a week off, before their first meet anyway.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Intramural Meet, Feb. 27th, CRWC   Intramural Meet, Feb. 27th, CRWC - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 18, 2014 12:51 am

will there be a weigh-in?
Back to top Go down
Quadfather
Class I
Class I
Quadfather

PostSubject: Re: Intramural Meet, Feb. 27th, CRWC   Intramural Meet, Feb. 27th, CRWC - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 18, 2014 11:43 am

Will wrote:
will there be a weigh-in?

last year there was a 2-hr weigh-in option and that ended just moments before the meet began so expect that
Back to top Go down
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: Intramural Meet, Feb. 27th, CRWC   Intramural Meet, Feb. 27th, CRWC - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 18, 2014 12:43 pm

Weigh-ins will be during registration.
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Intramural Meet, Feb. 27th, CRWC   Intramural Meet, Feb. 27th, CRWC - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 19, 2014 4:49 pm

Just so that everyone knows this, we had a meeting with rec. services recently and were informed that only U. Iowa students could participate. I know I've talked to a couple of people on here who were interested in doing it but aren't students, so I thought I'd clarify now.
Back to top Go down
El Nel
Class II
Class II
El Nel

PostSubject: Re: Intramural Meet, Feb. 27th, CRWC   Intramural Meet, Feb. 27th, CRWC - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 21, 2014 1:45 pm

Do we know what the weight classes are going to be? Is it going to be like in actual meets?
Back to top Go down
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: Intramural Meet, Feb. 27th, CRWC   Intramural Meet, Feb. 27th, CRWC - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 22, 2014 2:02 am

The weight classes will be official weight classes. I.e. 132, 148, 181, 220, etc.
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Intramural Meet, Feb. 27th, CRWC   Intramural Meet, Feb. 27th, CRWC - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 26, 2014 12:04 pm

Chris Anderson wrote:
The weight classes will be official weight classes. I.e. 132, 148, 181, 220, etc.

So, are we doing actual weight classes? How are the winners decided? Is there one male and one female winner, or are there winners for all the weight classes?
Back to top Go down
rndchris
Class IV
Class IV
rndchris

PostSubject: Re: Intramural Meet, Feb. 27th, CRWC   Intramural Meet, Feb. 27th, CRWC - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 26, 2014 12:05 pm

I just found out I have to run gels tomorrow and finish a western blot. I will still be there to help, but I can't make it there until shortly after 5pm.
Back to top Go down
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: Intramural Meet, Feb. 27th, CRWC   Intramural Meet, Feb. 27th, CRWC - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 26, 2014 3:39 pm

There are weight classes but they dont actually matter. Everything is off Wilks. One male and one female winner.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Intramural Meet, Feb. 27th, CRWC   Intramural Meet, Feb. 27th, CRWC - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Intramural Meet, Feb. 27th, CRWC
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2