Ultimate Iowa Powerlifting
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Ultimate Iowa Powerlifting

A forum dedicated to powerlifting in Iowa and Iowa City

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Strong Vid Thread

Go down 
+6
Nathan Poage
GFou
Quadfather
babyeater
Chris Anderson
Keosawa
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Quadfather
Class I
Class I
Quadfather

Strong Vid Thread - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Strong Vid Thread   Strong Vid Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 04, 2013 9:17 am

After only taking 1 week of russian, you all saw how much my squat improved. I can only imagine what a whole semester will do
Back to top Go down
KevinAlvy
Elite
Elite
KevinAlvy

PostSubject: Re: Strong Vid Thread   Strong Vid Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 04, 2013 12:25 pm

Just to rest the jimmies here, I think we can all agree that...

Lifting without gear is a skill, lifting with gear is a skill, and that people will be able to capitalize to different extents on gear based on that person's skill and biomechanics

Where the rustling might continue...

At the end of the day a wrapped squat is not the same as an unwrapped squat, just like a suited deadlift is not the same as a raw deadlift
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Strong Vid Thread   Strong Vid Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 04, 2013 12:39 pm

KevinAlvy wrote:

At the end of the day a wrapped squat is not the same as an unwrapped squat, just like a suited deadlift is not the same as a raw deadlift
Well, that's pretty clearly the case. Otherwise, why wrap your knees? If I were squatting the same weights without wraps, I wouldn't waste my time. It isn't the same, and it shouldn't be considered the same.

Where I differ from others is, there's a tendency to talk about gear in terms of what it "gives," which makes it sound like you're putting on the Green Lantern's ring.
Back to top Go down
http://iowapowerlifting.com
KevinAlvy
Elite
Elite
KevinAlvy

PostSubject: Re: Strong Vid Thread   Strong Vid Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 04, 2013 12:50 pm

Had to look up green lantern lul

Maybe instead of the gear giving you XXX lbs, you extract/take from the gear XXX lbs?
Back to top Go down
Quadfather
Class I
Class I
Quadfather

PostSubject: Re: Strong Vid Thread   Strong Vid Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 04, 2013 12:57 pm

KevinAlvy wrote:
wow....

KevinAlvy wrote:
Maybe instead of the gear giving you XXX lbs, you extract/take from the gear XXX lbs?
you "add" XXX lbs with gear..?
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Strong Vid Thread   Strong Vid Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 04, 2013 12:58 pm

KevinAlvy wrote:

Maybe. But it probably does work both ways. Some guys specialize in their gear better than others, while others just plain have better gear. I wouldn't say that the single-ply lifters of today are "extracting" more than Ed Coan.

Very generally speaking though, the best raw guys are sub-par in equipped, and the best equipped guys are sub-par raw. Malan is the strongest raw lifter in the world, but he's mediocre in single-ply. I mean, I know he's world class in single-ply, but he doesn't see the jump in his numbers that other guys do, so his ability to use the gear effectively is pretty sub-par. Even with sky-high squats, Dave Hoff would beat him by a considerable margin in multi-ply, but the roles would be reversed raw.
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Strong Vid Thread   Strong Vid Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 04, 2013 1:00 pm

Broceidon wrote:

you "add" XXX lbs with gear..?
Problem is, everyone wants to know what gear "gives," and it can't be reduced to a specific poundage. That's why I was saying that deadlift suits and knee wraps depend more on the lifters than anything else. You would probably total more with a deadlift suit and no knee wraps than vice-versa, and I'm the complete opposite.
Back to top Go down
Quadfather
Class I
Class I
Quadfather

PostSubject: Re: Strong Vid Thread   Strong Vid Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 04, 2013 1:08 pm

Chris Anderson wrote:
I will say that I watched Grant wrap his knees and he can go a lot tighter.
the one you saw me wrap was my 365 -squat and they were ok/firm. the 415 wraps were a little tighter. That was my first time wrapping in at least 3 weeks. I only wrapped a couple of times this summer too. I just get so winded when wrapping; it's kind of embarrassing. I feel like a fat kid trying to tie his shoes
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Strong Vid Thread   Strong Vid Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 04, 2013 1:50 pm

Broceidon wrote:
Chris Anderson wrote:
I will say that I watched Grant wrap his knees and he can go a lot tighter.
the one you saw me wrap was my 365 -squat and they were ok/firm. the 415 wraps were a little tighter. That was my first time wrapping in at least 3 weeks. I only wrapped a couple of times this summer too. I just get so winded when wrapping; it's kind of embarrassing. I feel like a fat kid trying to tie his shoes
Yeah, I get real tired wrapping too. Sometimes my hands are cramping by the end. Sucks to suck.
Back to top Go down
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: Strong Vid Thread   Strong Vid Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 04, 2013 3:59 pm

KevinAlvy wrote:
Just to rest the jimmies here, I think we can all agree that...

Lifting without gear is a skill, lifting with gear is a skill, and that people will be able to capitalize to different extents on gear based on that person's skill and biomechanics

Where the rustling might continue...

Surprisingly, no jimmies have been rustled. Yet.

However, I like discussing this kind of thing because I lead a lonely life. So, I give you this: competing in a federation/division in which you are allowed to use knee wraps/belt/etc, while not using knee wraps, is dumb. The caveat to this being if you are specifically chasing after an unwrapped record (and have a legitimate chance of getting there) and said federation gives you the best opportunity to compete in such a manner to achieve, and be recognized for, said record.

Even Jamie Lewis said that he lifted "completely" raw just to be an asshole about not using any gear. Almost all geared lifters (to include knee wrappers, for the sake of this conversation) train, and sometimes train for the majority of their cycles, without gear (again, to include knee wraps). Dinosaur Training makes it a point to not train in any gear whatsoever outside of a belt (and often not even that), but also adds the point that said equipment should most definitely be used in competition.

If I could stand wearing knee wraps for an entire session, I would. I just fucking hate taking the time to wrap my knees, waddle up to the bar, do my set, then take off the wraps just to roll them up and do it all over again.

As a sidenote to your last comment, different means simply that: different. Unless you mean to say that by different, you mean inferior.
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Strong Vid Thread   Strong Vid Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 04, 2013 4:19 pm

Chris Anderson wrote:

So, I give you this: competing in a federation/division in which you are allowed to use knee wraps/belt/etc, while not using knee wraps, is dumb. The caveat to this being if you are specifically chasing after an unwrapped record (and have a legitimate chance of getting there) and said federation gives you the best opportunity to compete in such a manner to achieve, and be recognized for, said record.
I would have agreed with this before powerliftingwatch separated the rankings. Now, as long as you get video, you can get ranked as unwrapped, so there is at least some reason to compete unwrapped in a wrapped fed.

In addition, I am aware that sometimes, people don't have a choice where they compete, and up until this year, if you wanted to compete unwrapped, there was no fed in the state that would offer an unwrapped category.

In general, I think worrying about winning or losing in most powerlifting meets is dumb, so I don't think putting yourself at a disadvantage in a powerlifting meet is a big deal.

Once we start getting into this beltless bullshit, I can't deal anymore. Why anyone would make a "beltless" meet total their goal is beyond me. It's good to have goals, but this is the equivalent of entering a track event and calling yourself the fastest shoeless 100m sprinter in the world--you win by default. I can understand competing wrapless in a wrapped fed because there at least exists a category for those styles of competition.
Back to top Go down
GFou
Class II
Class II
GFou

PostSubject: Re: Strong Vid Thread   Strong Vid Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 07, 2013 4:03 pm

kyriakos grizzly is a savage beast
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Strong Vid Thread   Strong Vid Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 07, 2013 4:15 pm

Dat back-hair.
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Strong Vid Thread   Strong Vid Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 07, 2013 4:17 pm

Jeff Blackbear writes:

"Let's see more of that massive hairy back and body! Great video. Love to see more before and after lifts. AWESOME!!!"

The bear-enthusiasts must love GRIZZLY.
Back to top Go down
GFou
Class II
Class II
GFou

PostSubject: Re: Strong Vid Thread   Strong Vid Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 14, 2013 12:20 pm

GET UPPP YOU F*CKINGGG WHOREEEEEE...

Back to top Go down
KevinAlvy
Elite
Elite
KevinAlvy

PostSubject: Re: Strong Vid Thread   Strong Vid Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 14, 2013 1:24 pm

Back to top Go down
GFou
Class II
Class II
GFou

PostSubject: Re: Strong Vid Thread   Strong Vid Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 21, 2013 11:42 am

Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Strong Vid Thread   Strong Vid Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 21, 2013 11:48 am

Uneven extension of the curl bar: NO LIFT.
Back to top Go down
babyeater
Class II
Class II
babyeater

PostSubject: Re: Strong Vid Thread   Strong Vid Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 21, 2013 8:33 pm

that vid made me smile like an idiot. I remember this!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.babyeaterlifts.wordpress.com
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Strong Vid Thread   Strong Vid Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 29, 2013 3:21 pm

Dat power gut.
Back to top Go down
Quadfather
Class I
Class I
Quadfather

PostSubject: Re: Strong Vid Thread   Strong Vid Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 29, 2013 3:56 pm

KKeough wrote:

Dat back-hair.
the title of this video is pronounced "grizzly" and it seems fitting
Back to top Go down
Nathan Poage
Master
Master
Nathan Poage

PostSubject: Re: Strong Vid Thread   Strong Vid Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 29, 2013 6:26 pm

Back to top Go down
http://www.lemonparty.com
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Strong Vid Thread   Strong Vid Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 29, 2013 8:43 pm

Wilks for posting my vid? I see how it works around here.
Back to top Go down
Nathan Poage
Master
Master
Nathan Poage

PostSubject: Re: Strong Vid Thread   Strong Vid Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 29, 2013 10:25 pm

KKeough wrote:
Wilks for posting my vid? I see how it works around here.
Sympathy reps
Back to top Go down
http://www.lemonparty.com
Quadfather
Class I
Class I
Quadfather

PostSubject: Re: Strong Vid Thread   Strong Vid Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 30, 2013 12:06 am

all of us are a bunch of weaklings

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Strong Vid Thread   Strong Vid Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Strong Vid Thread
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next