Ultimate Iowa Powerlifting
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Ultimate Iowa Powerlifting

A forum dedicated to powerlifting in Iowa and Iowa City

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log

Go down 
+13
DDaddyKane
agleckler
Seth
badbackboi
LTomasiello
El Nel
Andy Awad
KevinAlvy
Nathan Poage
lowerpower25
rndchris
Keosawa
Quadfather
17 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 12 ... 18  Next
AuthorMessage
SSchwartsenator
Admin
SSchwartsenator

Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log   Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu May 22, 2014 9:10 pm

There's video evidence of it somewhere deep in the annals of Chris' phone.
Back to top Go down
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log   Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu May 22, 2014 10:56 pm

Wink
Back to top Go down
SSchwartsenator
Admin
SSchwartsenator

PostSubject: Re: Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log   Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri May 23, 2014 6:11 pm

05/23/14

Gettin' that body builder swole

Dumbbell Bench:
1x5 @ 80
1x5 @ 110
1x8 @ 130
1x8 @ 140
5x3 @ 150 <--- 3 sec pauses each rep

Lat Pulldowns:
warmups
4x10 @ 165

Tricep Pulldowns:
4x12 @ 62.5

Cable Rhomboid Pulls:
5x11 w/ 17.5 each

Comments:
Just didn't wanna get lazy being out of town. Next week I'll be in Maryland so I'll have to figure out how to get a couple workouts in there. Luckily they don't have to be intense since it's the last week of Sheiko and I'm supposed to PR Saturday at 22nd St. I'll probably just have to find a couple of ladies to get on my back and squat them. Will keep you posted.
Back to top Go down
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log   Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue May 27, 2014 12:02 am

Back to top Go down
SSchwartsenator
Admin
SSchwartsenator

PostSubject: Re: Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log   Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri May 30, 2014 7:14 pm

Dat expertly executed jerk...

Anyways, I haven't worked out since Monday (aside from some poolside dips off some lawn chairs on Tuesday). PR's better be in store tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
SSchwartsenator
Admin
SSchwartsenator

PostSubject: Re: Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log   Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri May 30, 2014 7:26 pm

Wait, this counts as Over Head work, doesn't it guyz?

Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log - Page 7 Dirty_10
Back to top Go down
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log   Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri May 30, 2014 8:10 pm

damn, 8/10 would bang

that girl isn't bad either
Back to top Go down
Nathan Poage
Master
Master
Nathan Poage

PostSubject: Re: Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log   Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri May 30, 2014 10:21 pm

Chris Anderson wrote:
How did I miss this gem?
Back to top Go down
http://www.lemonparty.com
SSchwartsenator
Admin
SSchwartsenator

PostSubject: Re: Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log   Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSat May 31, 2014 12:21 pm

Nathan Poage wrote:
Chris Anderson wrote:
How did I miss this gem?  

at the end of my workouts Ive started doing some random exercises I never do, for shits and gigs. Muscle confusion brah
Back to top Go down
Nathan Poage
Master
Master
Nathan Poage

PostSubject: Re: Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log   Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSat May 31, 2014 7:01 pm

Looks like plain old confusion to me ;-)
Back to top Go down
http://www.lemonparty.com
SSchwartsenator
Admin
SSchwartsenator

PostSubject: Re: Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log   Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSat May 31, 2014 10:37 pm

Nathan Poage wrote:
Looks like plain old confusion to me ;-)

Touche...

Next Week: Single Leg Tire Flips
Back to top Go down
SSchwartsenator
Admin
SSchwartsenator

PostSubject: Re: Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log   Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 01, 2014 12:04 am

05/31/14

Just about 3 months post-intramural meet.

PR Day

Squat:
Did warm up sets up to 320. Tried 320 with wraps and shifted all of my weight to my heels. I didn't dig into the wraps and failed the first lift. Came at it again a second time, using the wraps, and got it no problem.
355: Attempted 355 but my knees caved at the bottom (an issue that never happens to me). Again, I wasn't properly using the wraps.
350: Focused on using the wraps, slowed the eccentric a bit, and it worked out. Grinded a bit through my sticking point. Not much to say, just gotta get stronger.

Bench: Didn't bother uploading because it all just frustrated the shit out of me. WAYYY too much lifting my ass off the bench.

Worked up to 235. Got the first rep, but it felt bleh, and wanted to do it again. Second attempt came up fast, but my ass came off the bench. Tried it a THIRD time with some help from Chris' cues and I was finally satisfied with the speed and control of the lift.
260: I guess I got cocky. My hamstring cramped the second I tried to push off my chest. Couldn't get it up (Unlike last night... heyyooooo). Ass came off the bench anyways.
255: Stretched the hammy, and tried it again. Came up, but had the SAME sticking point I got at the meet, about three inches off the chest. Andy touched it and got it through my sticking point and I got it the rest of the way. Ass still came off the bench.
255: Same thing as the 260 attempt. Got down to the chest and my hamstring cramped up. Called it a day after this attempt.

All in all, 10 pound squat PR. Really took my time today so I didn't get to deadlifts. Kinda frustrated about bench, but I just gotta keep working at it. A failed 215 3 months ago, and repping 235 relatively okay is a step in the right direction. I really gotta figure out my ass situation though. When I get heavy my ass comes up and that's gonna kill me in competition. I drive my heels and tighten my ass, but I thing my quads must be overpowering the rest of my lower body or SOMETHING.

Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log   Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 01, 2014 12:11 am

You will be fine--it was just one of those days in a new gym and you went a little PR-crazy. Nothing wrong with that; your bench is going great regardless of what happened today. Regarding the butt problem, it's time to start differentiating between "butt-off-the-bench" and "legal" PRs and establish a standard of performance that heavily weights the latter. If you're doing the July meet, now's the time to stop cutting any and all corners on technique and really drill quality work (or, yes, it will bite you in the, ahem, butt).
Back to top Go down
http://iowapowerlifting.com
SSchwartsenator
Admin
SSchwartsenator

PostSubject: Re: Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log   Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 01, 2014 12:23 am

Keosawa wrote:
You will be fine--it was just one of those days in a new gym and you went a little PR-crazy. Nothing wrong with that; your bench is going great regardless of what happened today. Regarding the butt problem, it's time to start differentiating between "butt-off-the-bench" and "legal" PRs and establish a standard of performance that heavily weights the latter. If you're doing the July meet, now's the time to stop cutting any and all corners on technique and really drill quality work (or, yes, it will bite you in the, ahem, butt).

Yeah I don't consider any of the above to be PR's. Just observations. My PR still stands at 240 (albeit touch and go).

Sheiko has certainly helped with bench volume, but since I never faced anything higher than 80% of my max while on it I never have the butt problem until I try to PR.

I think the key for the next few weeks is to try to hit heavy doubles and triples to try to iron out the butt problem.
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log   Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 01, 2014 12:30 am

Also, after watching your squats, have you ever thought about taking your stance in a couple of inches? You're adducting pretty hard out of the hole, which is pretty hard to benefit from if you're not squatting with a narrower stance. A slightly narrower stance is also going to allow for more forward tracking of the knees, which will make it easier to squat in the wraps.
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log   Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 01, 2014 12:36 am

Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log - Page 7 Sam_s_10

Idiotic drawing, but you get the idea.
Back to top Go down
SSchwartsenator
Admin
SSchwartsenator

PostSubject: Re: Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log   Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 01, 2014 12:39 am

Keosawa wrote:
Also, after watching your squats, have you ever thought about taking your stance in a couple of inches? You're adducting pretty hard out of the hole, which is pretty hard to benefit from if you're not squatting with a narrower stance. A slightly narrower stance is also going to allow for more forward tracking of the knees, which will make it easier to squat in the wraps.

Of course you would try to talk me into a narrower stance... WIDE STANCE MASTER RACE!

Real talk, I really haven't. I've been squatting this wide since I learned how to squat. It was just kind of my default setting and it feels comfortable (not that narrower wouldn't be comfortable, I just haven't really hammered it enough as my regular stance). I'll play around with bringing it in a bit in the coming weeks, but if it feels too different I don't want to change too much being 6 weeks out from a meet. This is definitely a consideration for my training post-meet though.

EDIT:

Just saw your drawing:
1) Dat artwork...

2) That really helps me visualize it. All bullshit aside, I could see it being advantageous to bring it in JUST a bit. Like I said, I'll play with it in the next few weeks, but I don't wanna change TOO much if it doesn't feel right with time tickin.

Last edited by SSchwartsenator on Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log   Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 01, 2014 12:41 am

Unless it feels great right off the bat, I would do exactly what you're suggesting and dance with who brung ya at the meet.
Back to top Go down
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log   Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 01, 2014 1:14 am

I agree that a narrower stance will likely help. You'll probably transition quicker than you think. We'll work on it.
Back to top Go down
Quadfather
Class I
Class I
Quadfather

PostSubject: Re: Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log   Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 01, 2014 10:48 am

Keosawa wrote:

Bump

Inb4 "your 355-set, your stance looked a little wider"
Back to top Go down
SSchwartsenator
Admin
SSchwartsenator

PostSubject: Re: Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log   Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log - Page 7 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 02, 2014 11:12 pm

06/02/14

Deadlift PR Day

135x4
225x4
275x3
315x2
365x1
405x1 (10lbs PR)

Comments:
FUCKING FINALLY. I couldn't get past 395 for the past 7-10 months. Don't remember exactly when I last hit that, regardless, I was stalled for an unreasonably long amount of time. Now that I'm finally physically and psychologically past that 4 plate barrier, I can keep looking forward. I don't know exactly what approach I'm gonna take with my deadlift in my coming training yet. While I did hit a PR, I don't really know exactly what aspects of my training were the biggest factor. Usually I can tell, such as in my bench, volume is key.

Last edited by SSchwartsenator on Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
SSchwartsenator
Admin
SSchwartsenator

PostSubject: Re: Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log   Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log - Page 7 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 02, 2014 11:47 pm

Also, my friend managed to capture some hardcore lifting-face pics. This called for a new avatar....
Back to top Go down
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log   Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 03, 2014 12:43 am

10/10 lift face
Back to top Go down
SSchwartsenator
Admin
SSchwartsenator

PostSubject: Re: Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log   Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 03, 2014 1:02 am

I'm digging the lifting-face avatar trend... This pleases me
Back to top Go down
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log   Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 03, 2014 1:03 am

I never miss a chance to show of my neck veins.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log   Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log - Page 7 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Gains on gains on gains: Sam's Training Log
Page 7 of 18Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 12 ... 18  Next