Ultimate Iowa Powerlifting
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Ultimate Iowa Powerlifting

A forum dedicated to powerlifting in Iowa and Iowa City

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Chris Anderson's training log V. 2.0-- Tom Kallas is a dead man

Go down 
+5
KevinAlvy
Keosawa
Nathan Poage
Quadfather
Chris Anderson
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 15  Next
AuthorMessage
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

Chris Anderson's training log V. 2.0-- Tom Kallas is a dead man Empty
PostSubject: Chris Anderson's training log V. 2.0-- Tom Kallas is a dead man   Chris Anderson's training log V. 2.0-- Tom Kallas is a dead man Icon_minitimeTue Nov 19, 2013 4:56 pm

I've decided to start a new training log.
Back to top Go down
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: Chris Anderson's training log V. 2.0-- Tom Kallas is a dead man   Chris Anderson's training log V. 2.0-- Tom Kallas is a dead man Icon_minitimeTue Nov 19, 2013 4:57 pm

Alright, I guess it's time for my meet report. I'm going to be recording a video log about it tonight (apparently I am the only person in the world with a laptop under five years old that doesn't have to have a webcam), but most people won't watch that, so here we go:

BLUF- 6/9, 1300lb total, 1st in my division (raw Juniors 181 AD). 398.8 Wilks.

This was a meet of firsts for me. First meet in over a year, first meet at 181, first meet in UPA, first meet with a 24 hour weigh-in, first meet with a monolift, first meet with a deadlift bar, and I can go on. It was an outstanding experience and it has strengthened my commitment to powerlifting, to the club, and to everybody who I train around.

My weight cut:
I have been steadily losing fat ever since the beginning of this semester. I am feeling better, looking better, and this has been all while building my strength base back up and getting stronger than ever before. I weighed 186 about 22 hours before weigh-ins. I did an all-day fast and had the heat on full blast on the drive to Dubuque.

I checked my weight on the meet scale around 6pm that night (eight hours after checking my weight in Iowa City and about 14 hours before official weigh-ins) and I was 182. I weighed in at 179 Saturday morning. I watched the first day of the meet and did nothing but rehydrate and put the weight back on. I was constantly grazing--no huge meals, just a steady influx of water, carbs, and sodium. I did not urinate for about six hours post weigh-ins. I was able to recomp to 191 by the end of the night.

Squat-
446- good lift
479- good lift, matched previous PR
502- no lift

This was disappointing. I smoked 479 and 502 was well within my grasp. I just couldn't quite generate the speed out of the hole and missed halfway up. This was not a strength issue, I feel. I just needed to get tighter and focus a bit more than I did. Using a monolift didn't affect me too badly but I need to use it more often.

Bench-
264- good lift
292- good lift, 5lb PR
303- good lift, 16lb PR

Another first: my first 300+ bench in a meet, and it was great. I blasted it off my chest and kept driving through the sticking point. Time to build towards a 3 plate bench. It will be there soon.

Deadlift-

518- good lift
551- no lift
551- no lift

Shame to my family. Another first, but not a good one this time: I have never NOT PR'd my deadlift in a meet before. 551 would have matched my previous PR. I was extremely close both times, too; I must have held it in my hands for about 25 seconds between the two lifts. This was a big disappointment. My deadlift training hadn't gone well throughout this last cycle, but I hit a pretty smooth 535 (my planned second) a week out and the last few sessions had been really good. Again, not a strength issue. I WILL PR my deadlift at the next meet.

This was also the only time I strayed from the attempts I had planned out. I increased my opener from 507 to guarantee a 1300 total. 518 was easy, so I don't think that was an issue--however, I jumped directly to 551 instead of sticking with my planned second of 535, which would have given me a 1317 total, which would be an absolute PR in addition to the coefficient PR I had already secured. I likely would have had more energy to go after 551 and I could have had that as well, I think. Lesson learned--fuck with the plan as little as possible.

I am going to stick with UPA for a while. My next meet will be in February. I will go after that 502 squat again, and I am tentatively saying I will bench 314 and pull 563. Otherwise, any PR total is the absolute goal. A PR total is always the absolute goal.

As for my training for the next meet, I'm going to change...well, really, fucking nothing. I'm on the right path. I just need to keep getting stronger. All over. I'm sticking with the Juggernaut for my base program, and adding in extra bench and squat days with a standard peaking cycle. I'm making small tweaks, to be sure, but I'm sticking to the pillars of my training.

I could write so much more about this meet, but I will keep it in my head where it belongs. So, I will finish up by thanking everybody who helped support me. This is the entirety of University of Iowa Powerlifting for giving me purpose in my lifting, Bill Carpenter for putting on fantastic meet, and all of the spotters, loaders, and judges, for making the meet possible. I have to highlight Grant Voshell for competing at 181 with me and warming up with me throughout the entire meet, as well as Kyle Keough for being a constant stream of advice throughout my training cycle and meet prep.

Last edited by Chris Anderson on Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: Chris Anderson's training log V. 2.0-- Tom Kallas is a dead man   Chris Anderson's training log V. 2.0-- Tom Kallas is a dead man Icon_minitimeTue Nov 19, 2013 5:00 pm

I'm going to compete at the UPA meet in February at 181 again. I will be running TJM starting today. I will have extra squat and bench days that will be based off of a simple peaking cycle. Deadlift will be peaking cycle only. I don't need to change a lot in my training, I just need to keep getting stronger all over.

New training maxes for TJM-

Press- 185 (formerly 170)
Squat- 425 (formerly 405)
Bench- 270 (formerly 260)

My lifting schedule will remain pretty much the exact same, but with only one main lift a day, and a bit more emphasis on heavier assistance work. This means RDLs, shrugs, slingshot bench, etc.

I am going to try to make trips to both Jakked Hardcore and 22nd Street Barbell in the coming week.
Back to top Go down
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: Chris Anderson's training log V. 2.0-- Tom Kallas is a dead man   Chris Anderson's training log V. 2.0-- Tom Kallas is a dead man Icon_minitimeTue Nov 19, 2013 10:16 pm

11/19-

Press- 4x10, 1x15@115

DB cheat curl and press- a bunch
Pullups- some
HS rows- some
Band pull-aparts- a bunch

Notes: First training session back. I've decided to only do AMRAP's on my press days as I will only be doing that once a week.
Back to top Go down
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: Chris Anderson's training log V. 2.0-- Tom Kallas is a dead man   Chris Anderson's training log V. 2.0-- Tom Kallas is a dead man Icon_minitimeWed Nov 20, 2013 4:48 pm

I am going to pull sumo today if my glute feels up to it. It hasn't bothered me for a while, and I think training the opposite style for a few weeks (I think I will train it for about a month or so) will help my pull and my squat tremendously.
Back to top Go down
Quadfather
Class I
Class I
Quadfather

PostSubject: Re: Chris Anderson's training log V. 2.0-- Tom Kallas is a dead man   Chris Anderson's training log V. 2.0-- Tom Kallas is a dead man Icon_minitimeWed Nov 20, 2013 7:23 pm

Chris Anderson wrote:
I am going to pull sumo today if my glute feels up to it. It hasn't bothered me for a while, and I think training the opposite style for a few weeks (I think I will train it for about a month or so) will help my pull and my squat tremendously.
Repped for this!! I knew you would come around
Back to top Go down
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: Chris Anderson's training log V. 2.0-- Tom Kallas is a dead man   Chris Anderson's training log V. 2.0-- Tom Kallas is a dead man Icon_minitimeWed Nov 20, 2013 7:31 pm

11/20-

Deadlift-
2x10@335

Block pulls-
4x5@405

GHR-
3x15

Notes: Man, high rep deadlifting sucks. I'm going to do a lot of midshin work because I am weak at it. I was going to do some sumo pulling but my glute was like lolno. I am going to put a lot of work in for my deadlift this training cycle.
Back to top Go down
Nathan Poage
Master
Master
Nathan Poage

PostSubject: Re: Chris Anderson's training log V. 2.0-- Tom Kallas is a dead man   Chris Anderson's training log V. 2.0-- Tom Kallas is a dead man Icon_minitimeWed Nov 20, 2013 7:38 pm

Broceidon wrote:
Chris Anderson wrote:
Repped for this!! I knew you would come around
Negged because the deadlift Gods deemed it shall not be so.
Back to top Go down
http://www.lemonparty.com
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: Chris Anderson's training log V. 2.0-- Tom Kallas is a dead man   Chris Anderson's training log V. 2.0-- Tom Kallas is a dead man Icon_minitimeThu Nov 21, 2013 6:45 pm

11/21-

Bench- 5x10@165
Fat gripz wide grip bench- 3x5@185
Cable rows- 5x10
EZ bar curlz- 1x50

Notes: Volume for da pump.
Back to top Go down
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: Chris Anderson's training log V. 2.0-- Tom Kallas is a dead man   Chris Anderson's training log V. 2.0-- Tom Kallas is a dead man Icon_minitimeThu Nov 21, 2013 7:18 pm

Chris Anderson's training log V. 2.0-- Tom Kallas is a dead man IQEjWyO
Back to top Go down
Quadfather
Class I
Class I
Quadfather

PostSubject: Re: Chris Anderson's training log V. 2.0-- Tom Kallas is a dead man   Chris Anderson's training log V. 2.0-- Tom Kallas is a dead man Icon_minitimeThu Nov 21, 2013 9:57 pm

Chris Anderson wrote:
Chris Anderson's training log V. 2.0-- Tom Kallas is a dead man IQEjWyO
This almost happened to me last sunday
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Chris Anderson's training log V. 2.0-- Tom Kallas is a dead man   Chris Anderson's training log V. 2.0-- Tom Kallas is a dead man Icon_minitimeFri Nov 22, 2013 4:14 pm

The first new log in our team's history--this is a seriously big step for us as a forum.
Back to top Go down
http://iowapowerlifting.com
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: Chris Anderson's training log V. 2.0-- Tom Kallas is a dead man   Chris Anderson's training log V. 2.0-- Tom Kallas is a dead man Icon_minitimeFri Nov 22, 2013 6:14 pm

Keosawa wrote:
The first new log in our team's history--this is a seriously big step for us as a forum.
New prez=new heights. afro 

11/22-

Squat- 5x10@255
Pullups
Neck work

Notes: Well, this still sucks, but I am at a much better level of work capacity and conditioning than I was at the beginning of last cycle. I was dead after the first set last time, and I didn't feel much effect until the fourth set this time around.

Also, I'm going to put together a spreadsheet of how all my percentages and bar lifts broke down for my last training cycle. Kyle, you have way more experience than I do in that sort of analysis--anything I should keep a particular eye? Trends, numbers, etc?
Back to top Go down
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: Chris Anderson's training log V. 2.0-- Tom Kallas is a dead man   Chris Anderson's training log V. 2.0-- Tom Kallas is a dead man Icon_minitimeSat Nov 23, 2013 6:35 pm

Back to top Go down
KevinAlvy
Elite
Elite
KevinAlvy

PostSubject: Re: Chris Anderson's training log V. 2.0-- Tom Kallas is a dead man   Chris Anderson's training log V. 2.0-- Tom Kallas is a dead man Icon_minitimeSun Nov 24, 2013 10:32 am

Leanness? groce
Back to top Go down
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: Chris Anderson's training log V. 2.0-- Tom Kallas is a dead man   Chris Anderson's training log V. 2.0-- Tom Kallas is a dead man Icon_minitimeSun Nov 24, 2013 4:00 pm

I might be going 165 in a year or two.
Back to top Go down
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: Chris Anderson's training log V. 2.0-- Tom Kallas is a dead man   Chris Anderson's training log V. 2.0-- Tom Kallas is a dead man Icon_minitimeSun Nov 24, 2013 4:05 pm

Also, my mommy gave me the gift of gainz for my birthday in the form of a Spud Inc dip belt. Triceps for dayz.
Back to top Go down
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: Chris Anderson's training log V. 2.0-- Tom Kallas is a dead man   Chris Anderson's training log V. 2.0-- Tom Kallas is a dead man Icon_minitimeSun Nov 24, 2013 8:01 pm

11/24-

Bench-
150x5
170x5
2x10, 1x12@185

Wide grip bench-
3x5@205

Weighted pullups
Weighted dips

Notes: My elbow was bothering me just a bit, but I wanted to push for a couple extra reps on the last set with 185. So, I just did an easy 12.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Chris Anderson's training log V. 2.0-- Tom Kallas is a dead man   Chris Anderson's training log V. 2.0-- Tom Kallas is a dead man Icon_minitimeSun Nov 24, 2013 9:30 pm

Chris Anderson wrote:
Also, my mommy gave me the gift of gainz for my birthday in the form of a Spud Inc dip belt. Triceps for dayz.
I've heard good things about Spud. What I don't get is why all their stuff looks like construction worker equipment. I have my eye on this beauty: http://www.titansupport.com/products/powerlifting-belts/texas-2-5-x-4-heavy-duty-dip-belt.html
Back to top Go down
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: Chris Anderson's training log V. 2.0-- Tom Kallas is a dead man   Chris Anderson's training log V. 2.0-- Tom Kallas is a dead man Icon_minitimeSun Nov 24, 2013 10:12 pm

It's because their equipment is literally made out of towing straps.
Back to top Go down
Quadfather
Class I
Class I
Quadfather

PostSubject: Re: Chris Anderson's training log V. 2.0-- Tom Kallas is a dead man   Chris Anderson's training log V. 2.0-- Tom Kallas is a dead man Icon_minitimeSun Nov 24, 2013 11:34 pm

Chris Anderson wrote:
It's because their equipment is literally made out of towing straps.
This
Back to top Go down
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: Chris Anderson's training log V. 2.0-- Tom Kallas is a dead man   Chris Anderson's training log V. 2.0-- Tom Kallas is a dead man Icon_minitimeMon Nov 25, 2013 9:31 pm

11/25-

Squat-
235x5
270x5
3x10@290

Safety bar squat-
135x5
185x5
225x5
275x5
2x3@275

GHR- 3x15

Notes: Trained at 22nd Street Barbell in Des Moines today, squatted out of the monolift. The safety squat bar is actually 95lb, but I just counted it as 45 for the sake of simplicity here. Add 50lb to every set for the actual weight.
Back to top Go down
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: Chris Anderson's training log V. 2.0-- Tom Kallas is a dead man   Chris Anderson's training log V. 2.0-- Tom Kallas is a dead man Icon_minitimeMon Nov 25, 2013 9:32 pm

Will wrote:

I've heard good things about Spud. What I don't get is why all their stuff looks like construction worker equipment. I have my eye on this beauty: http://www.titansupport.com/products/powerlifting-belts/texas-2-5-x-4-heavy-duty-dip-belt.html
Also, why the hell would anybody pay $90 for a dip belt?
Back to top Go down
Quadfather
Class I
Class I
Quadfather

PostSubject: Re: Chris Anderson's training log V. 2.0-- Tom Kallas is a dead man   Chris Anderson's training log V. 2.0-- Tom Kallas is a dead man Icon_minitimeMon Nov 25, 2013 9:46 pm

Chris Anderson wrote:
Add 50lb to every set for the actual weight.
No you...
Back to top Go down
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: Chris Anderson's training log V. 2.0-- Tom Kallas is a dead man   Chris Anderson's training log V. 2.0-- Tom Kallas is a dead man Icon_minitimeMon Nov 25, 2013 10:32 pm

no u
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Chris Anderson's training log V. 2.0-- Tom Kallas is a dead man   Chris Anderson's training log V. 2.0-- Tom Kallas is a dead man Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Chris Anderson's training log V. 2.0-- Tom Kallas is a dead man
Page 1 of 15Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 15  Next