Ultimate Iowa Powerlifting
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Ultimate Iowa Powerlifting

A forum dedicated to powerlifting in Iowa and Iowa City

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Andy Awad's Training Log

Go down 
+9
badbackboi
DDaddyKane
Josh Martin
SSchwartsenator
Keosawa
Nathan Poage
David Petersen
Quadfather
KevinAlvy
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
AuthorMessage
Andy Awad
Class I
Class I

Andy Awad's Training Log - Page 14 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Andy Awad's Training Log   Andy Awad's Training Log - Page 14 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 12, 2015 8:24 pm

1/09/15

squat w/o belt

235 x 5
235 x 5
235 x 5
325 x 5
325 x 4

bench

275 x 5
275 x 5
275 x 5

1/12/09

squat
325 x 3
365 x 3
395 x 3
395 x 2 (misgrooved didn't go for 3 rd)
395 x 3 (by far best set of workout)

Time to start thinking about what my training will be like going into the spf meet in march. I figure I have about 10 weeks to put something together.

bench 185 + two chains each side ss w/tbar rows

3 reps x ~8 sets (lost track)

dips and pullups
1 set only - felt fatigued from very long weekend
Back to top Go down
DDaddyKane
Class II
Class II

PostSubject: Re: Andy Awad's Training Log   Andy Awad's Training Log - Page 14 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 13, 2015 5:42 am

Quote :
bench 185 + two chains each side ss w/tbar rows

I also used those chains and decided to weight them when I finished. They were about 40 lbs a side, so 80 lbs total. In case you were wondering, sir.
Back to top Go down
Andy Awad
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: Andy Awad's Training Log   Andy Awad's Training Log - Page 14 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 17, 2015 12:04 am

DDaddyKane wrote:
I also used those chains and decided to weight them when I finished. They were about 40 lbs a side, so 80 lbs total. In case you were wondering, sir.

I was wondering that. Thanks man.

1/15/15

Deadlift

385 x 5 x 5

from about 2 in deficit

275 x something, maybe 8

1/16/15

Bench

305 x 6
305 x 6
305 x 7 failed on 8

Happy with benchy

some light squats, ohp and some bis and tris

Bench is in a good place right now. I made a few changes to my setup, and I am now starting to see them pay off. I'm still a little off on my warmup sets. I think the problem recently has been over thinking them. 305 x 6 was a pretty easy PR for me, admittedly the second set I misgrooved at about rep 4 or 5 and rep 6 was a bit of a grinder. 305 x 7 was better than I was hoping. I really shouldn't have tried the 8th rep, but I got excited. Before I benched 375 at the fair, I hit a set of 300 x 9. That was a really pumped up environment and I'd been resting all week to see what I could rep out at 300. I also hadn't been training squat and deadlift very hard at all because my back was giving me issues at the time. Today, I was exhausted and sleep deprived, and hit 305 x 7 after two sets of 6 as part of my normal bench work out, and the reps were cleaner too. I feel like I have finally gotten back to where I was in August, and, even better, I am now in a position to move beyond that point. I am feeling optimistic about benchy at the moment. Hoping for 385 in March, maybe even more, but I'm really trying not to get too greedy with it. Still definitely need to see how things go when training weights start getting heavier and how my body will handle preparing all three lifts for competition.
Back to top Go down
Andy Awad
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: Andy Awad's Training Log   Andy Awad's Training Log - Page 14 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 20, 2015 5:24 pm

1/19/14

Squat

365 x 2
405 x 1
445 x 1
480 x 1 (5lb PR)

I went in to squat after a very frustrating session of thesising. It was about 3:00 am by the time I went to Magni. The only thing that was going to make me feel good was squatting something heavy. Didn't plan on going past 445, but it moved really fast so i decided to go for a small PR. 480 didn't move bad. It wasn't smooth as butter, but it didn't grind out too bad. As usual, could have been a little deeper. I think the camera is at a weird angle that makes the depth difficult to judge. But I think it was ok. Still, I want to get my squats to the point where they are convincingly past depth. It will take some more time, but they're getting closer. I think that with some rest and a little coffee in my system 500 could happen soon. I'm gonna take things easy for a bit, get some volume in, and work up to some heavy squats soon. Form is feeling really locked in right now.

Bench

245 x 3 reps x 8 sets

notes: too late to be motivated to set up chains. 245 felt like the right weight to move fast and get a similar effect.

notes. bench sets ss w/lat pull downs
Back to top Go down
Andy Awad
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: Andy Awad's Training Log   Andy Awad's Training Log - Page 14 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 20, 2015 6:31 pm

Forgot to include this.

Back to top Go down
Andy Awad
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: Andy Awad's Training Log   Andy Awad's Training Log - Page 14 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 23, 2015 1:21 am

1/22/15

Deadlift no belt

405 x 5 x 5
Back to top Go down
agleckler
Class II
Class II
agleckler

PostSubject: Re: Andy Awad's Training Log   Andy Awad's Training Log - Page 14 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 23, 2015 2:39 pm

Andy Awad wrote:

It was about 3:00 am by the time I went to Magni.  

3:00 am? My god.
Back to top Go down
Andy Awad
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: Andy Awad's Training Log   Andy Awad's Training Log - Page 14 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 23, 2015 3:37 pm

agleckler wrote:
Andy Awad wrote:

It was about 3:00 am by the time I went to Magni.

3:00 am? My god.

You're telling me. It was a brutal night that wasn't very funsies. Good thing is it's all coming to an end very soon!
Back to top Go down
Andy Awad
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: Andy Awad's Training Log   Andy Awad's Training Log - Page 14 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 25, 2015 11:17 pm

1/23/15

Bench

320 x 4 x 4

275 x 10

Given the circumstances, this was a pretty good workout. I just couldn't get any adrenaline going to get me through this one. I had a tough time focusing on my setup, but towards the end it started to click. Last set was the only one I filmed. 4th rep felt better than the 3rd. You'll hear Brian telling me to stay tight before I start the 4th rep. Once I tightened up, I felt the difference in my pressing strength go up right away. Helps so much to have that strong foundation to press against. That was my problem this entire workout. I'm sure it'll continue getting better.

Some lat pulldowns as w/dips.

Some crazy bench

Feel like this could help my stabilizers. Gonna start doing these after my Monday speed chain benching to see if they help.
Back to top Go down
Andy Awad
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: Andy Awad's Training Log   Andy Awad's Training Log - Page 14 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 26, 2015 9:07 pm

1/26/2015

Squat

365 x 5
365 x 5
365 x 5

Got some really good coaching from Willingham on these sets today.  They went really well.  Lots to think about in terms of gripping the bar and upper back tightness.  It also seems that it is time to emphasize some pec mobility work.

bench

185 x ~80 in chains ss w/lat pull downs

many sets

crazy bench

135 + 25's on bands

3 sets of about 7

Notes:  Focused on upper back tightness on everything today.  It will continue to be my main focus for squatting and benching training moving forward.  Needless to say, my upper back is feeling pretty fried right now, but in a good way.
Back to top Go down
Andy Awad
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: Andy Awad's Training Log   Andy Awad's Training Log - Page 14 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 28, 2015 4:12 am

1/27/14

Another late night at work and I couldn't get it out of my mind to go squat. Even though I squatted yesterday, things felt alright today. Decided to work up to 455 for a single, but then I just couldn't get going for a PR out of my head. I made up my mind to do a walk out with 500 for some nervous system stimulus. Then I decided to take off the 2 and a halfs and just go for a big PR with 495. After 480 last week, I really felt like I had something left in the tank. This was the longest and toughest squat of my life. There are things to work on with my squat, I know. All in all though, I'm very happy with where it's come from and where it's going. I was a little sore from yesterday's session, and I still hit a big milestone today. The time has come to scale things back and keep training intelligently until March (today wasn't intelligent). I don't think I'll be going for 500 until then. Maybe 500 will be my second attempt if things are still feeling good then and I'll look at 510-515 for a third attempt.

Notes: Walking the weight back and racking it was legitimately difficult. I will not walk out as far from now on. Also, I need to work on getting set up faster and squatting sooner so I don't waste so much energy on the setup. It took long, as usual. These are some of the things I plan on addressing in with lighter weights in the coming weeks.
Back to top Go down
Andy Awad
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: Andy Awad's Training Log   Andy Awad's Training Log - Page 14 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 29, 2015 9:36 pm

Deadlift no belt

425 x 5
425 x 5
425 x 4 (flet really off balance so I stopped the set)
425 x 5

Deadlift finally felt decent again today. My setup has been in flux, but I think it's finally getting better. I did the last set without wraps. I definitely prefer pulling without them, but i will have to get used to it again. The bar was definitely starting to swing away from me. I think I can put myself in a position to PR in March, but maybe not by much. Deadlift will be the wild card for sure. I can see it feeling really shitty for a while longer, or suddenly start to feel good.
Back to top Go down
Andy Awad
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: Andy Awad's Training Log   Andy Awad's Training Log - Page 14 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 09, 2015 12:03 pm

Haven't updated this in awhile

1/30/15

Bench

warmups

350 x 1, missed 2nd rep. rep I did get was possibly the ugliest bench press I've ever done. I don't want to talk about it.

Shitty. warmups felt really strong too.

2/3/15

Squats

315 x 3 sets of 6

tried some knee sleeves on and they felt really, really good. Tired Dalton's and Nelson's SBDs. Something about both of those made squatting a lot more comfortable. I even felt stress taken off of my hips and depth was easier to hit.

Bench

225 x 4 sets of 10

2/6/15

Bench

Failed 350 for a double again, but not nearly as ugly as last time. Again, warmups felt great. 330 flew up again. First rep at 350 felt really good. Not gonna try that again for a while. 315 for an easy triple after and then some pasued sets of 185 x ~ 15.

General thoughts: Training has been difficult with working lots of late nights, but I'm at the point where I'm finally out of the woods with that (cross fingers). I should be able to have my thesis submitted by the end of this month while working (more or less) from 8 - 5. The regularity and reduced hours should really help my training and sleeping schedule.

Bench training thoughts:

Despite failing a double that I feel I'm capable of 2 weeks in a row, I fell pretty good about my bench strength. Still, I know my body, and I know that I my bench really progress if I continue to hit the heavy stuff much longer. It is time for light weight high rep work to being again. I'm going to really emphasize developing a smooth eccentric bar path while the weights are light. I'm gonna bench twice a week, and increase weight by ~ 5% each session for the next several weeks. I'll try to get in a few heavish sessions the weeks before the meet.

Squat: I may try out some wrapped squatting. Just trying out knee sleeves felt amazing. And now that Dalton likes squatting it's really my only option to ever out totaling him again.

Deadlift: Just need to train this.
Back to top Go down
Andy Awad
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: Andy Awad's Training Log   Andy Awad's Training Log - Page 14 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 10, 2015 12:01 am

2/9/15

Squat WITH wraps

315 x 3
365 x 3
405 x 4
405 x 4
405 x 4

w/oly shoes on

315 x 5
405 x 4

I am a changed man.  Today I went from squatting with no shoes and nothing on my knees to putting the oly shoes back on and wrapping up for the first time ever. Now, I never want to look back at the way things used to be.  Willingham was a huge help to me today with figuring out the wraps.  He also suggested that I may like the Romaleo's more with wraps than I did without because of the way the mechanics of the lift change.  He was absolutely right.  I don't think I have lifted anything as fast as I lifted that set of 315 x 5 in my life.  405 felt pretty much the same.  I have no idea what happened.

Wrapping took up a considerable amount of time and energy, so I didn't get to the benching I wanted to do today.  I'll try to get in tomorrow and do it.

Notes: Per Brian's recommendation, I used some of the easier, stretchier wraps when I put my oly shoes on. I liked them more, but not sure if because of the oly shoes, or just because they were more comfortable.
Back to top Go down
DDaddyKane
Class II
Class II

PostSubject: Re: Andy Awad's Training Log   Andy Awad's Training Log - Page 14 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 10, 2015 2:13 am

Quote :
I am a changed man. Today I went from squatting with no shoes and nothing on my knees to putting the oly shoes back on and wrapping up for the first time ever. Now, I never want to look back at the way things used to be.

Sad I wasn't there to see this. Welcome to wrapped squatting, and making our totals more comparable.
Back to top Go down
Andy Awad
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: Andy Awad's Training Log   Andy Awad's Training Log - Page 14 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 10, 2015 11:54 am

DDaddyKane wrote:
I am a changed man. Today I went from squatting with no shoes and nothing on my knees to putting the oly shoes back on and wrapping up for the first time ever. Now, I never want to look back at the way things used to be.

Sad I wasn't there to see this. Welcome to wrapped squatting, and making our totals more comparable.

I'm kind of sad you weren't there too. I think you would have gotten a lot of joy out of watching the transformation. I welcome the challenge of out-totaling you again.
Back to top Go down
SSchwartsenator
Admin
SSchwartsenator

PostSubject: Re: Andy Awad's Training Log   Andy Awad's Training Log - Page 14 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 11, 2015 5:25 pm

Yes come to the dark side

Andy Awad's Training Log - Page 14 Darkside
Back to top Go down
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: Andy Awad's Training Log   Andy Awad's Training Log - Page 14 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 11, 2015 7:08 pm

Wraps are the debbil

And i am a sinner
Back to top Go down
Andy Awad
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: Andy Awad's Training Log   Andy Awad's Training Log - Page 14 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 12, 2015 11:30 am

2/10/15

paused Bench

205 x 13
205 x 13
245 x 9
245 x 10

I think I'm going to start dead benching once a week for the next 3 or 4 weeks. After a short conversation with Willingham, it seems like it would be a good idea for me

lat pull downs ss w/ dbb shoulder press

about 4 sets

some arms.

Sschwartsenator wrote:
If you only knew the power of the dark side.

Back to top Go down
SSchwartsenator
Admin
SSchwartsenator

PostSubject: Re: Andy Awad's Training Log   Andy Awad's Training Log - Page 14 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 12, 2015 12:14 pm

Using wraps is like saying you don't want to join the dark side, but you like force choking people every now and then... You'll make your way here in due time.
Back to top Go down
Andy Awad
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: Andy Awad's Training Log   Andy Awad's Training Log - Page 14 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 13, 2015 10:46 pm

2/12/15

Deadlift

Warmups

405 x 2
445 x 1
475 x 1
475 x 1
475 x 1

Sumo singles with 315

about 7 or 8

Deadlift felt alright. Speed off the floor with 475 felt really good, but lockout felt (and looked) a little slow. I was trying to do touch and go reps for a while, and I was trying to use my hamstrings for a lot of the work and starting with my hips to high. This was largely in part from trying to incorporate some of Richard Hawthorne's deadlifting tips after watching some of his videos. The things he was saying resonated with me, and I tried to incorporate them. But, it just didn't work for me. Yesterday I went back to dropping my hips a little and thinking about getting some quad drive early on and just ripping that bitch off the floor as hard as possible. I videoed my warmups, and I must say they looked quite a bit faster than I expected. I'm going to stick with this setup and pulling method until the SPF meet. IF sumo is feeling really good, I may pull sumo. Not sure yet. I'll continue doing some after conventional.
Back to top Go down
Andy Awad
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: Andy Awad's Training Log   Andy Awad's Training Log - Page 14 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 13, 2015 10:57 pm

2/13/15

Paused bench

275 x 2
315 x 2 x 7 (3 on last set)
315 x 8 with slingshot (failed on 9)

I decided to take my grip in a finger width (ring finger on the knurling as opposed to middle) and see what happened. I think this is a more optimal grip width for me. I felt more stable, and the speed off of my chest felt great. Set up felt a little weird getting under the bar, but I think if I get comfortable with this I will be one step closer to getting that 4 plate bench. I've been working on staying still between reps, and really getting tight before I take the handoff. Today showed a marked improvement in overall benching setup for me. It's the little things that will put me in a good position to build this lift up from a solid foundation.

Also, 315 for 8 paused reps with the slingshot is pretty good for me. I've done 8 tng with 335 before, but they were much sloppier than the reps I did today. I wish I filmed them. Clean reps have always been the best thing for building my bench. I'm excited.

lat pulldowns ss w/seated dbb shoulder press

4 or 5 sets

some tris, bis, and rear delts.
Back to top Go down
Andy Awad
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: Andy Awad's Training Log   Andy Awad's Training Log - Page 14 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 16, 2015 10:53 am

squats w/ wraps and oly shoes

365 x 3
405 x 3
425 x 3

w/o oly shoes

405 x 3

Everything felt pretty with the wraps on. There are however a two down sides I see to wrapped squatting. The first is that a wrapped squat session takes an eternity. The second is that, if you are wrapping yourself, the process takes a decent amount of energy. I was lucky to have Sam around to help me a bit too.

I've decided to take the oly shoes out of the mix until the meet in March. While I do think they'll be the way to go for me, as they allow a faster decent, I have more difficulty controlling my bar path with them on. I could see this becoming a potential problem as the weights get heavier. Sam and video confirmed the last set without them on was the best of the day. I'm just gonna squat in my chucks for now.

some front squats and paused squats with 225.
Back to top Go down
Andy Awad
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: Andy Awad's Training Log   Andy Awad's Training Log - Page 14 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 17, 2015 8:37 am

2/16/15

paused bench

255 x 8
255 x 8
285 x 5

Tendonitis started to act up, and I didn't feel very well rested, so I did some band stuff, and decided to try some 2 board work, which went pretty well.

Paused 2 board press

275 x 9 (can't count to Cool
315 x 8

tng 2 borad

350 x 4

Some lat pulldowns w/ light weight.  Really focused on the bottom of the motion and squeezing my scapula together.

That took forever so that was all I did yestereday.

Notes:

Narrower grip may put more stress on elbow joint and aggravate tendonitis more.  Board presses were done with my usual grip.
Back to top Go down
Andy Awad
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: Andy Awad's Training Log   Andy Awad's Training Log - Page 14 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 19, 2015 9:55 am

2/18/15

Anderson Squat:

up to sets of 315 x 3

Dead benching from about 1" off my chest.

up to some singles at 315. Some volume after.

Some straight bar curls and some other random stuff.

I was just feeling burnt out on work and training yesterday, so I just decided to try some new things. I really enjoyed my workout yesterday. Anderson squats and dead benching both seem like they could be useful tools for honing in my technique. I found the process of tightening up at the bottom of the movement under a stationary weight helpful, as my issues with both lifts are related to losing tightness at the bottom range of the movements. Also, for my bench it is primarily the eccentric portion of the lift that aggravates my bicep tendonitis, so the dead benching was pretty comfortable.

Notes: Normal grip felt very weak on dead benching. Went in to pinkies on the rings and felt much better. I find this perplexing.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Andy Awad's Training Log   Andy Awad's Training Log - Page 14 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Andy Awad's Training Log
Page 14 of 18Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next