Ultimate Iowa Powerlifting
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Ultimate Iowa Powerlifting

A forum dedicated to powerlifting in Iowa and Iowa City

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Seth's Training Log

Go down 
+10
babyeater
Monty Python
Quadfather
Logan Joseph
GFou
Chris Anderson
Keosawa
KevinAlvy
Seth
Nathan Poage
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 23 ... 35  Next
AuthorMessage
Seth
Class I
Class I

Seth's Training Log - Page 11 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Seth's Training Log   Seth's Training Log - Page 11 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 17, 2013 6:00 pm

KKeough wrote:
You won't be able to squat often in them. They'll probably tear up your knees if you try it. Most will get in 2-4 true work sets in with wraps per week, and supplement that with some other type of unwrapped squatting.

And nice 225x2 on bench. Inspiring.

Yeah I don't know if I will even use them until I finish out my current cycle. I plan on taking them in and maybe using them for a couple of sets to see how they feel after they get here, but other than that I will probably save them until my next cycle.

I'm not even quite sure why I uploaded that video Rolling Eyes I took it since my bench had been sucking and I was trying to focus on a staying tight and wanted to see how it looked.

1/17

press
160x1
120x12

bench
225x2x3

Notes: Bench felt ten times better today. I was definitely just being sloppy before.
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Seth's Training Log   Seth's Training Log - Page 11 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 17, 2013 8:32 pm

Yeah, it looked in the previous video like you were allowing yourself to mis-groove at the top--and at the bottom.
Back to top Go down
http://iowapowerlifting.com
Seth
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: Seth's Training Log   Seth's Training Log - Page 11 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 19, 2013 12:17 pm

1/18

squat
315x2x4

pull ups
40 total reps

Kroc rows
70x25

hypers
25x10x3

bb curls (bar)
1x55

abs
3x12
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Seth's Training Log   Seth's Training Log - Page 11 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 19, 2013 9:31 pm

Seth, when you finished Smolov Jr., how did you program your max test?
Back to top Go down
Seth
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: Seth's Training Log   Seth's Training Log - Page 11 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 20, 2013 2:00 am

I hit my max from before smolov (255 at the time) then worked up in 10 pound increments until it was a hard rep, which was 295 for me. Looking back I may have benefitted from bigger jumps, but I didnt really know what to expect and I was happy with any progress on my bench at the time.
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Seth's Training Log   Seth's Training Log - Page 11 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 20, 2013 11:31 am

How much time did you take between your last Saturday session and your max test?
Back to top Go down
Seth
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: Seth's Training Log   Seth's Training Log - Page 11 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 20, 2013 11:37 am

I finished on a Friday and tested the next Tuesday. I definitely felt fresh and thought it was plenty of rest.
Back to top Go down
Seth
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: Seth's Training Log   Seth's Training Log - Page 11 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 20, 2013 11:09 pm

1/20

squat
365x1

pause squats
290x3x2

leg press (2 min rest)
4 pps x 25, 17, 9

GHR (bw)
3x15

abs
3x12

Notes: Had my first backload tonight which I definitely enjoyed. Squats went alright, though the 365 felt kind of heavy.
Back to top Go down
Seth
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: Seth's Training Log   Seth's Training Log - Page 11 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 21, 2013 9:27 pm

1/21

bench press
265x1
210x10

incline press (2 min rest)
135 x 20, 12, 8

OH db tri ext
70x20, 20, 16

face pulls
3x20

Notes: 265 went up pretty quick, faster then I expected. I was disappointed with the 210x10, I felt like I had a couple more reps in me but as you can see at the end I get out of the groove and everything goes downhill from there. On the tenth rep my foot slipped and I lost pretty much all tightness.
Back to top Go down
Seth
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: Seth's Training Log   Seth's Training Log - Page 11 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 22, 2013 9:14 pm

1/22

deadlift
455x1
385x3x2

bb hip thrusts
315x5x3

iso row machine (2 min rest)
2 pps x 28, 22, 20

shrugs
sets of five up to 495x5x4

Notes: Speed on the deadlifts felt good. Also just to be clear my shrugs are more of a power shrug. I backloaded the last two nights, after the first backload my weight went from 206.5 to about 211. I weighed myself again today and I was still at 211 after last nights backload. As a note these are all night time weights. Today was ULC and tomorrow will be as well, as my plan is to start at 3 backloads per week and see if the weight keeps coming off.
Back to top Go down
Logan Joseph
Ghost Dawg
Ghost Dawg
Logan Joseph

PostSubject: Re: Seth's Training Log   Seth's Training Log - Page 11 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 22, 2013 10:05 pm

Seth, just curious, are you doing all the other CBL stuff to the letter? Not sure if you can judge whether the weight is coming off in 2 days of course anyway, but...

When I was doing it it seemed pretty important to wake up in the morning and get that coconut oil+ coffee+whey+heavy cream going, but then to delay my first (UCL) meal until a few hours after that, until around noon. Then I'd usually have some more meat and cheese or whatever more along the lines of snack and then train around 5 with a pretty empty stomach save for the pre-workout shake. Are you doing all the PWO stuff with the leucine and high-GI carbs and protein blend with the hydro whey and all of that?
Back to top Go down
Seth
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: Seth's Training Log   Seth's Training Log - Page 11 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 22, 2013 10:59 pm

I guess I should have been more clear I'm not expecting the weight to come off super fast or anything, I meant that I would start with 3 backloads/week for a few weeks and see if my weight changes any before I decide if I will add more or take away any backloads.

I'm not doing it the "ideal" way, kind of just working with what I have or can get cheap as a poor college kid Sad I'm just using my normal whey and throwing some creatine in it, along with fish oil and a multi-vitamin. I'm not supplementing with leucine or any carb supplement (just using white bread with my post workout shake on backloading days). I've been doing coffee in the morning but I haven't been putting anything else in it. I've also been cooking some with the coconut oil but I wouldn't say its a daily thing.

Pretty much the plain jane version. I'm gonna see how it treats me. Any diet change is better than what I was doing (pretty much eating what I wanted when I wanted). I think the biggest thing I need to focus on is getting enough fat/protein on ULC days. Have you started the prep phase for when you start backloading again?
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Seth's Training Log   Seth's Training Log - Page 11 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 22, 2013 11:42 pm

Logan Joseph wrote:
Seth, just curious, are you doing all the other CBL stuff to the letter? Not sure if you can judge whether the weight is coming off in 2 days of course anyway, but...

When I was doing it it seemed pretty important to wake up in the morning and get that coconut oil+ coffee+whey+heavy cream going, but then to delay my first (UCL) meal until a few hours after that, until around noon. Then I'd usually have some more meat and cheese or whatever more along the lines of snack and then train around 5 with a pretty empty stomach save for the pre-workout shake. Are you doing all the PWO stuff with the leucine and high-GI carbs and protein blend with the hydro whey and all of that?

I'm thinking about adding leucine to my supplement intake--do you think it's worth it if I'm not looking to put on muscle? Should I just go with a BCAA mix?
Back to top Go down
Logan Joseph
Ghost Dawg
Ghost Dawg
Logan Joseph

PostSubject: Re: Seth's Training Log   Seth's Training Log - Page 11 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 23, 2013 1:15 pm

Yeah Seth, I hear you about that. I think that if you use a site like truenutrition.com you can get yourself leucine and some sort of high GI carb pretty cheap. I actually just was using glucose tablets from the grocery store for that for a while. And adding an unflavored generic fiber supp from the drug store to your morning shake is probably also pretty cheap. That helped me with the hunger on UCL days and with digesting everything. On that website you can also make yourself a blend (or two blends, one UCL and the other PWO) that match what he wants in the book for pretty damn cheap. I think what you're saying about the fat/protein on UCL days is right, especially I think the fat is important, especially certain types of fat like the MCTs in coconut oil which are going to be available to your body shortly after eating them and will encourage keto.

Kyle - I don't really know anything about leucine except what is written about it in CBL. Kiefer claims to be a big skeptic about supplements in general, so the ones that he does recommend are supposed to carry some weight. He thinks that BCAA mixes are sort of an unknown and wouldn't waste the money. He is convinced about Leucine though, and likes it because of the way it increases insulin levels. He recommends it for anyone trying to change the composition of their body (more muscle, less fat), but also for anyone regardless of weight-loss/gain goals because of its anabolic/anti-catabolic properties. So yeah, it might help with recovery, might be worth it. I'm not sure.
Back to top Go down
Nathan Poage
Master
Master
Nathan Poage

PostSubject: Re: Seth's Training Log   Seth's Training Log - Page 11 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 23, 2013 2:35 pm

ITT: supplement sluts.
Back to top Go down
http://www.lemonparty.com
Logan Joseph
Ghost Dawg
Ghost Dawg
Logan Joseph

PostSubject: Re: Seth's Training Log   Seth's Training Log - Page 11 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 24, 2013 4:05 pm

Hey Seth just for reference, from truenutrition.com I got 200g of leucine and a pound of high GI carb mix I made for 30 bucks shipped. GI carbs are absolutely dirt cheap and the leucine isn't bad either.

SKU: Product
Quantity Price Ext. Price

9904 L-Leucine Powder – Instantized (100 Grams) x2 $7.89 $15.78

9999 Custom Mix
Dextrose (45%)
Maltodextrin (40%)
Waxy Maize Starch – Amylocel (15%)
**Plain**
**Plain** (Unflavored)
Plastic Jug w/ Free Scoop
**UNSWEETENED**
1 $3.17 $3.17

Order Notes:
None

SubTotal: $18.95
Shipping: UPS Ground $11.40
Tax: $0.00
Total: $30.35

Also for reference, the prices of the proteins I got from there. The first is the post-workout mix that includes the hydro whey/casein as advised in CBL, the second is just isolate. Each price is for TWO pounds and includes a jug and scoop (it can be hand for slightly less w/o this).

9999 Custom Mix
PeptoPro – Hydrolyzed Caseinate [Milk] (30%)
Whey Protein Isolate Cold-Filtration [Milk] (45%)
Hydrolyzed Whey Protein High Grade [Milk] (25%)
**Plain**
NATURAL Premium Vanilla
Stevia (All-Natural Sweetener)
2 $17.39 $34.77

1025 Whey Protein Isolate Cold-Filtration (1lb.) [Milk]
**Plain**
NATURAL Premium Vanilla
Stevia (All-Natural Sweetener)
2 $11.74

So all in all, the price on this stuff is pretty affordable.
Back to top Go down
Logan Joseph
Ghost Dawg
Ghost Dawg
Logan Joseph

PostSubject: Re: Seth's Training Log   Seth's Training Log - Page 11 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 24, 2013 4:07 pm

Also want to mention that truenutrition offers steep discounts for ordering in bulk, so if you can get the team together to order a shitload of protein or whatever, it would get even cheaper. But as it is, 11 bucks for 2 pounds of whey isolate is crazy cheap.
Back to top Go down
Logan Joseph
Ghost Dawg
Ghost Dawg
Logan Joseph

PostSubject: Re: Seth's Training Log   Seth's Training Log - Page 11 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 24, 2013 10:14 pm

Ah sorry I was wrong, that value for the whey iso was per pound, so it worked out to $23.48 for 2 pounds. Which is still insanely cheap compared to GNC bullshit and frees up cash for some other supps.
Back to top Go down
Seth
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: Seth's Training Log   Seth's Training Log - Page 11 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 24, 2013 11:23 pm

I had never heard of that site until you mentioned it and it is super cheap and that's sweet that you can make your own blends. I'm pretty sure I'll end up ordering from this site when I get paid. Thanks for the tip.

1/24

press
160x1 (missed 165x1)
135x8

bench press
235x2x3

Notes: This session was pretty pathetic. I may have set my training max to high, but I would think that I could hit 165 still. I felt pretty dead since it was a morning session but it was still disappointing.
Back to top Go down
KevinAlvy
Elite
Elite
KevinAlvy

PostSubject: Re: Seth's Training Log   Seth's Training Log - Page 11 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 25, 2013 12:14 pm

Logan Joseph wrote:
Ah sorry I was wrong, that value for the whey iso was per pound, so it worked out to $23.48 for 2 pounds. Which is still insanely cheap compared to GNC bullshit and frees up cash for some other supps.

http://www.allstarhealth.com/f/dymatize-elite_whey_protein_instantized.htm

This is the best deal I've seen so far. + it's 5.95 shipping

If anybody knows of cheaper protons pls respond
Back to top Go down
Seth
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: Seth's Training Log   Seth's Training Log - Page 11 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 25, 2013 8:00 pm

1/25

squat
365x1x2 w/ wraps

pull ups (varying grips)
50 reps

face pulls
3x20

hypers
3x10

db curls (bar)
x60

abs
3x12

Notes: So my knee wraps came in yesterday, I decided to try them out to see what they feel like. I could definitely feel the help out of the hole, but to be honest I was really not a fan. I did not feel stable in them at all and it changed my squat, which I kind of expected. After giving them a shot I'm going to stick to my knee sleeves, at least for now.
Back to top Go down
Nathan Poage
Master
Master
Nathan Poage

PostSubject: Re: Seth's Training Log   Seth's Training Log - Page 11 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 25, 2013 9:52 pm

KevinAlvy wrote:
Logan Joseph wrote:

http://www.allstarhealth.com/f/dymatize-elite_whey_protein_instantized.htm

This is the best deal I've seen so far. + it's 5.95 shipping

If anybody knows of cheaper protons pls respond
I get it free for my internship. Hope that helps.
Back to top Go down
http://www.lemonparty.com
Seth
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: Seth's Training Log   Seth's Training Log - Page 11 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 27, 2013 8:37 pm

1/27

squat
375x1

pause squats
315x3x2

leg press (2 min rest)
4pps+25 x 20, 14, 9

GHR (bw)
x20, x10, x10

abs
3x12

Notes: Squatting felt better than last week. Pause squats felt really good.
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Seth's Training Log   Seth's Training Log - Page 11 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 27, 2013 11:36 pm

Paws squats for a roar lifter.
Back to top Go down
Seth
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: Seth's Training Log   Seth's Training Log - Page 11 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 27, 2013 11:49 pm

KKeough wrote:
Paws squats for a roar lifter.

To bad I didn't have my iPod. I could have been jammin eye of the tiger and really taken it to the next level.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Seth's Training Log   Seth's Training Log - Page 11 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Seth's Training Log
Page 11 of 35Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 23 ... 35  Next