Ultimate Iowa Powerlifting
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Ultimate Iowa Powerlifting

A forum dedicated to powerlifting in Iowa and Iowa City

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

KevinAlvy's Training Log

Go down 
+8
agleckler
Logan Joseph
babyeater
GFou
Chris Anderson
Keosawa
Nathan Poage
KevinAlvy
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 29 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

KevinAlvy's Training Log - Page 19 Empty
PostSubject: Re: KevinAlvy's Training Log   KevinAlvy's Training Log - Page 19 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 09, 2013 4:24 pm

KevinAlvy wrote:
KKeough wrote:
Joey looks like he's trying to karate-chop your elbows while standing three feet away. And someone should tell him that a single side spotter usually does more harm than good.

Should I have him spot from the front?

From the ceiling, maybe.
Back to top Go down
http://iowapowerlifting.com
KevinAlvy
Elite
Elite
KevinAlvy

PostSubject: Re: KevinAlvy's Training Log   KevinAlvy's Training Log - Page 19 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 09, 2013 4:25 pm

KKeough wrote:

From the ceiling, maybe.

I am going there again tomorrow. Any requests?
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: KevinAlvy's Training Log   KevinAlvy's Training Log - Page 19 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 09, 2013 4:26 pm

KevinAlvy wrote:
KKeough wrote:

From the ceiling, maybe.

I am going there again tomorrow. Any requests?

While we're on the subject, have Joey do a mock meet.
Back to top Go down
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: KevinAlvy's Training Log   KevinAlvy's Training Log - Page 19 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 09, 2013 4:26 pm

Seriously, we have the worst spotters ever on this team. I let Kyle fall down whenever I spot him, Joey doesn't know what the fuck he is doing, and Monty just like putting his hands around everybody's man boobs.

UI Powerlifting: DYEspot?
Back to top Go down
KevinAlvy
Elite
Elite
KevinAlvy

PostSubject: Re: KevinAlvy's Training Log   KevinAlvy's Training Log - Page 19 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 09, 2013 4:35 pm

KKeough wrote:

Joey's groin is still hurting him. Maybe a bench only meet

Chris Anderson wrote:
Seriously, we have the worst spotters ever on this team. I let Kyle fall down whenever I spot him, Joey doesn't know what the fuck he is doing, and Monty just like putting his hands around everybody's man boobs.

I like the squat or die idea
Back to top Go down
Nathan Poage
Master
Master
Nathan Poage

PostSubject: Re: KevinAlvy's Training Log   KevinAlvy's Training Log - Page 19 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 09, 2013 7:36 pm

Chris Anderson wrote:

Speak for yourself. I've saved Monty's bacon in fine form before.
Back to top Go down
http://www.lemonparty.com
Nathan Poage
Master
Master
Nathan Poage

PostSubject: Re: KevinAlvy's Training Log   KevinAlvy's Training Log - Page 19 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 09, 2013 10:35 pm

KevinAlvy wrote:
KKeough wrote:

Joey's groin is still hurting him. Maybe a bench only meet

I like the squat or die idea
What in the hell did he do? That was back in October.

Agreed on squat or die though. Probably haven't used a rack in months now and I only almost died that once.
Back to top Go down
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: KevinAlvy's Training Log   KevinAlvy's Training Log - Page 19 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 09, 2013 11:41 pm

Or you could just, ya know, not miss squats. That strategy has worked quite well for me, seeing as I have missed a grand total of two reps (the second rep of a double at 440, which I came back and got another double when I switched to my old knee wraps, and then once when I hit one of the safety bar and got all fuckered up) since the Grand Nationals. Meanwhile we have Keosawa intentionally failing instead of racking the bar because his "legs get tired", and Poage narrowly avoiding dying.
Back to top Go down
Nathan Poage
Master
Master
Nathan Poage

PostSubject: Re: KevinAlvy's Training Log   KevinAlvy's Training Log - Page 19 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 09, 2013 11:51 pm

It wasn't for a lack of leg strength *ahem Keough*, I just really misgrooved dicking around with high bar. I've actually missed less reps than you have. Cool
Back to top Go down
KevinAlvy
Elite
Elite
KevinAlvy

PostSubject: Re: KevinAlvy's Training Log   KevinAlvy's Training Log - Page 19 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 10, 2013 11:12 am

Nathan Poage wrote:
Agreed on squat or die though. Probably haven't used a rack in months now and I only almost died that once.
My guess is that he's not letting it heal

Chris Anderson wrote:
Or you could just, ya know, not miss squats. That strategy has worked quite well for me, seeing as I have missed a grand total of two reps (the second rep of a double at 440, which I came back and got another double when I switched to my old knee wraps, and then once when I hit one of the safety bar and got all fuckered up) since the Grand Nationals. Meanwhile we have Keosawa intentionally failing instead of racking the bar because his "legs get tired", and Poage narrowly avoiding dying.
Nathan Poage wrote:
It wasn't for a lack of leg strength *ahem Keough*, I just really misgrooved dicking around with high bar. I've actually missed less reps than you have. Cool

I think since the April meet I have only missed one, but that's cause I'm too afraid of failing a squat
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: KevinAlvy's Training Log   KevinAlvy's Training Log - Page 19 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 10, 2013 11:51 am

Nathan Poage wrote:

I can't rack my squats because I have nothing left.

LEAVE IT ALL ON THE PLATFORM.

Forever RPE@11'ing it.
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: KevinAlvy's Training Log   KevinAlvy's Training Log - Page 19 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 10, 2013 11:53 am

And in my defense, besides the time where I hit the safety pin and Anderson was spotting, I cannot remember the last time I (unintentionally) failed a squat. I think you have to go back to the April meet for it.

EDIT: Wait, no, I missed a 480 PR attempt somewhere in there, too.
Back to top Go down
KevinAlvy
Elite
Elite
KevinAlvy

PostSubject: Re: KevinAlvy's Training Log   KevinAlvy's Training Log - Page 19 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 10, 2013 12:07 pm

KKeough wrote:
I can't rack my squats because I have nothing left. LEAVE IT ALL ON THE PLATFORM. Forever RPE@11'ing it.

in b4 monolift
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: KevinAlvy's Training Log   KevinAlvy's Training Log - Page 19 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 10, 2013 1:39 pm

KevinAlvy wrote:
KKeough wrote:
I can't rack my squats because I have nothing left. LEAVE IT ALL ON THE PLATFORM. Forever RPE@11'ing it.

in b4 monolift

God, I wish. Walking out squats is too tough.
Back to top Go down
KevinAlvy
Elite
Elite
KevinAlvy

PostSubject: Re: KevinAlvy's Training Log   KevinAlvy's Training Log - Page 19 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 10, 2013 6:07 pm

High Bar Squat
Warmups
455x3
465x3
475x3
485x3

Sumo DL w/ Straps
Warmups
565x3

DL Stance Leg Press
Warmups
690x20

Chest Supported T Bar
3x20

Hanging Leg Raises
3x15

Preacher Curls
1 set of burnout

Notes: I almost killed myself unracking those heavier sets, kept smacking the screws. I have been really hard on my body with the intentional overtraining and a lot of drinking lately. I have probably accumulated enough fatigue, but I might do one more of these sessions sat if I don't feel too beat up

KKeough wrote:
God, I wish. Walking out squats is too tough.
I actually think monolifts should be considered natty. It's really scary and dangerous for everyone involved when people suck at walking out weights
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: KevinAlvy's Training Log   KevinAlvy's Training Log - Page 19 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 10, 2013 10:07 pm

Monolifts have been around since at least '94, and I think they make perfect sense; I understand that there's honor in "walking out" your squats, but the point is that it's just not fucking necessary. Hell, I think that safety cables should be mandated at every powerlifting meet, along with safety pins for the bench press.

Ultimately, I think purists get too caught up in the "origins" of the sport without realizing that powerlifting's origins aren't exactly pure. Case in point: the 694-lb. deadlift world record in my weight class was done by Dan Austin at a meet in which you were allowed to retake a lift during the same attempt if you missed it once. He missed his deadlift when his foot slipped, then set up and got it before time expired. So, let's not act like modern powerlifting automatically makes everything so much easier.
Back to top Go down
KevinAlvy
Elite
Elite
KevinAlvy

PostSubject: Re: KevinAlvy's Training Log   KevinAlvy's Training Log - Page 19 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2013 2:22 pm

Yeah walking out a squat doesn't display or correlate very well with squat strength anyways. It reminds me of how it's still natty to get a handoff, but not doing less on the untrack like a mono.

Aren't you allowed to request help out on the squat anyways? Seems like they just might be a bit expensive for the size of most meets
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: KevinAlvy's Training Log   KevinAlvy's Training Log - Page 19 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2013 2:44 pm

KevinAlvy wrote:

Aren't you allowed to request help out on the squat anyways? Seems like they just might be a bit expensive for the size of most meets

I think you are, but I'm sure it depends upon the federation. Every fed allows help on the rerack, which is inconsistent with the "you have to handle the weight yourself" rhetoric.
Back to top Go down
KevinAlvy
Elite
Elite
KevinAlvy

PostSubject: Re: KevinAlvy's Training Log   KevinAlvy's Training Log - Page 19 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 12, 2013 3:33 pm

Sumo Deads w/ Straps
Warmups
495x9

Tng Bench
Warmups
315x7

SLDL w/ Straps
Warmups
405x10

Notes: I might test my bench/dead next week, my back still feels too iffy for squats.

KKeough wrote:
I think you are, but I'm sure it depends upon the federation. Every fed allows help on the rerack, which is inconsistent with the "you have to handle the weight yourself" rhetoric.

Yeah. I probably get more lbs out of a bench unrack than I would out of a mono lol
Back to top Go down
KevinAlvy
Elite
Elite
KevinAlvy

PostSubject: Re: KevinAlvy's Training Log   KevinAlvy's Training Log - Page 19 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 16, 2013 3:31 pm

Comp Squat
Warmups

Comp Bench
Warmups
377 - weak pause

Comp Deadlift
Warmups

Total - 1610 + 5

Notes: Squat was fantastic considering I have't had over 525 on my back since July or August, squat should explode when I start training it "on". I got completely flattened on my 377 Bench from a bad handoff but the power is certainly there. Deadlift was as expected. Completely ran out of chalk and I was afraid of that deadlift slipping, but I got this one> Very happy I finally got a "test day" pr.... I hit 1605 in august 2011.....

edit: Bonus points on the deadlift for using cocktagon plates
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: KevinAlvy's Training Log   KevinAlvy's Training Log - Page 19 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 16, 2013 3:56 pm

Some motivation for you:

1610 lbs. at 198 puts you at #16. At 220, it puts you at #32. Obviously, for both weight classes, it's an Elite standard.

In other words, if you can just stay healthy and keep doing what you're doing, you're in for a big year. Really nice job, Kevin; you've rebounded very quickly.
Back to top Go down
KevinAlvy
Elite
Elite
KevinAlvy

PostSubject: Re: KevinAlvy's Training Log   KevinAlvy's Training Log - Page 19 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 16, 2013 4:06 pm

KKeough wrote:
Some motivation for you:

1610 lbs. at 198 puts you at #16. At 220, it puts you at #32. Obviously, for both weight classes, it's an Elite standard.

In other words, if you can just stay healthy and keep doing what you're doing, you're in for a big year. Really nice job, Kevin; you've rebounded very quickly.

My mind is always blown at how weak 198 is when 220 is so damn strong.

I will probably stick to my plan and come in as a light 220 lber in Arpil, see if my deadlift or coefficient feels better, then make my longer term decision.

Back to top Go down
Nathan Poage
Master
Master
Nathan Poage

PostSubject: Re: KevinAlvy's Training Log   KevinAlvy's Training Log - Page 19 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 16, 2013 4:32 pm

KevinAlvy's Training Log - Page 19 Sauce-mirin1
Back to top Go down
KevinAlvy
Elite
Elite
KevinAlvy

PostSubject: Re: KevinAlvy's Training Log   KevinAlvy's Training Log - Page 19 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 16, 2013 5:02 pm

[quote="Nathan Poage"][img]http://www.cuisinedasie.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/Saucequote]

5 lbs in 17 months is nothing to be mirin lol

Back to top Go down
Nathan Poage
Master
Master
Nathan Poage

PostSubject: Re: KevinAlvy's Training Log   KevinAlvy's Training Log - Page 19 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 16, 2013 5:07 pm

Okay, fine. You're fucking awful. Quit the team.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: KevinAlvy's Training Log   KevinAlvy's Training Log - Page 19 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

KevinAlvy's Training Log
Page 19 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 29 ... 40  Next