Ultimate Iowa Powerlifting
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Ultimate Iowa Powerlifting

A forum dedicated to powerlifting in Iowa and Iowa City

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Kyle's New Training Log

Go down 
+3
KevinAlvy
SSchwartsenator
Chris Anderson
7 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

Kyle's New Training Log - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kyle's New Training Log   Kyle's New Training Log - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 16, 2015 8:25 pm

badbackboi wrote:
I'm sure you've encountered recommendations of eccentric rehab to treat tendinopathy but I've never seen you log anything like that. What are your thoughts? I've had incredible success on different tendons and several people I've recommended this to have told me it worked very well for them.

I actually haven't come across this. I'm not sure exactly how I'd go about doing it--do you have any input? I'm open to the suggestion and would like to try.
Back to top Go down
http://iowapowerlifting.com
badbackboi
Class II
Class II
badbackboi

PostSubject: Re: Kyle's New Training Log   Kyle's New Training Log - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 17, 2015 11:09 am

`

Last edited by badbackboi on Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Kyle's New Training Log   Kyle's New Training Log - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 17, 2015 4:20 pm

It's actually the distal tendon; my shoulders feel great nowadays and really aren't an issue, and it's that distal insertion point that goes nuts and hurts like hell, especially on the last two inches of my eccentric on a heavy bench press. I'm thinking I'm going to mess around with some standing banded eccentrics to start and I'll work on it today. Maybe I'll try just doing them unilaterally and focus only on the eccentric, which I think I can manage. Is the goal to try and simulate the movement pattern of whatever causes the discomfort? Whether it is or it isn't, I'll mess with it today and get some video.
Back to top Go down
badbackboi
Class II
Class II
badbackboi

PostSubject: Re: Kyle's New Training Log   Kyle's New Training Log - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 17, 2015 10:06 pm

I might shy away from some band set-ups because of the variable resistance. I think you'd want the eccentric to be pretty isotonic and make them as smooth and slow maybe a 5 to 8 count. I'd make sure to fully extend the elbow at the bottom so you're getting a good stretch and hitting the DL joint angle to boot. I wonder if using preacher curl bench or something similar to reinforce the axis of movement would be better than standing. All this is just a hunch and you're probably in the best position to feel it out for yourself. There's not a consensus on how much pain there should be. My impression is that it's okay if you can feel it a little but the goal isn't to recreate the pain and you'd want to start comically light and try to get a little pump. Is this bilateral or unilateral? Is it on the arm you supinate to pull? You're talking about benching but I'd be really worried about pulling very heavy at all until you get this sorted out. Seems like you meet a bunch of risk factors for a rupture, right? what with your style of pull, strength, and the creatine causing connective tissue to lag behind muscle repair. Are we gonna see you pull 700 in a year? Makes me shutter thinking about that kind of weight yanking on that little tendon. I wouldn't have told you this a week before RUM though : )
Back to top Go down
badbackboi
Class II
Class II
badbackboi

PostSubject: Re: Kyle's New Training Log   Kyle's New Training Log - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 18, 2015 3:24 am

Keosawa wrote:
Is the goal to try and simulate the movement pattern of whatever causes the discomfort?

Whoops I read that wrong. I don't think there's any info on that at least I don't have it. You're thinking about doing negative benching? I don't even know why benching hurts the damn tendon because there can't be lots of biceps activity pressing otherwise you couldn't extend the elbow. Now we start talking about things like Lombard's Paradox, right? Too confusing for me.
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Kyle's New Training Log   Kyle's New Training Log - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 18, 2015 8:08 am

badbackboi wrote:
I might shy away from some band set-ups because of the variable resistance. I think you'd want the eccentric to be pretty isotonic and make them as smooth and slow maybe a 5 to 8 count. I'd make sure to fully extend the elbow at the bottom so you're getting a good stretch and hitting the DL joint angle to boot. I wonder if using preacher curl bench or something similar to reinforce the axis of movement would be better than standing. All this is just a hunch and you're probably in the best position to feel it out for yourself. There's not a consensus on how much pain there should be. My impression is that it's okay if you can feel it a little but the goal isn't to recreate the pain and you'd want to start comically light and try to get a little pump. Is this bilateral or unilateral? Is it on the arm you supinate to pull? You're talking about benching but I'd be really worried about pulling very heavy at all until you get this sorted out. Seems like you meet a bunch of risk factors for a rupture, right? what with your style of pull, strength, and the creatine causing connective tissue to lag behind muscle repair. Are we gonna see you pull 700 in a year? Makes me shutter thinking about that kind of weight yanking on that little tendon. I wouldn't have told you this a week before RUM though : )

I don't really ever have any pain with it pulling, but one of the things we discussed exiting RUM was improving my deadlift technique and learning a slow break off the floor. To my credit, I've been yank-free for this entire cycle and am taking it seriously. I'm honestly doing it more for my lower back than for my biceps--I think a lot of my SI joint and lumbar stiffness problems are due to yanking on my deadlifts--but it is something I'm going to fix this year. Deadlift technique's the big thing for this year, like squat technique was the big thing for last (even though my stance didn't come out much, I got much better in the Oly shoes and am much more balanced now as a squatter).

I experimented with some standing single-arm eccentrics against a band, stepping back so that I could perform the concentric without any tension and then stepping forward for a 3-to-5 second eccentric. It felt fine but I don't know how effective it was; I've got video and I'll post it as soon as I can. I was able to bench with my slingshot pain-free all the way up to 315x8 yesterday, so that's a big step in the right direction.

And yeah, I just felt like I was going to have to learn better deadlift technique because I WILL get a lot stronger over the course of this year. The weight gain's kept my strength despite now being supplement free for six weeks, and once my status changes for good in a couple months, it's going to shoot up again. That's all fun, but what I'm concerned with right now is preparing my body to be ready for it, so you're right to point out things like my deadlift start.
Back to top Go down
Andy Awad
Class I
Class I

PostSubject: Re: Kyle's New Training Log   Kyle's New Training Log - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 18, 2015 11:01 am

badbackboi wrote:
I don't even know why benching hurts the damn tendon because there can't be lots of biceps activity pressing otherwise you couldn't extend the elbow.

I'm pretty sure the biceps are important stabilizers in the bench press, especially the eccentric portion of the movement. Scot Mendelson, Eric Spoto, and Kirill Sarychev all train their bicpes, presumably because they aid in the bench press.
Back to top Go down
badbackboi
Class II
Class II
badbackboi

PostSubject: Re: Kyle's New Training Log   Kyle's New Training Log - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 18, 2015 11:25 am

Oh I know they're not completely silent or anything and the triceps must have better leverage on their attachments so that's why the elbow is still able to extend. I find it hard to believe sEMG would show more biceps activity in a pressing versus pulling movement. It's just odd to me that people get biceps problems from benching versus say rowing or chinning.
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Kyle's New Training Log   Kyle's New Training Log - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 22, 2015 9:52 am

I filmed some of my eccentrics but haven't uploaded it yet. The combination of those and benching only with my slingshot has led to two consecutive pain-free sessions. I'm not "all better" yet but at least I'm not continually re-aggravating it.

Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Kyle's New Training Log   Kyle's New Training Log - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 22, 2015 10:10 am

Back to logging:

My bench volume continues to be minimal, but I tried introducing some extremely light pressing volume and that went very well. I got up to 340x3 in the slingshot, which tests out pretty well (it's a PR for me), but I know my bench progress will really come once I'm able to re-introduce a baseline training volume, which means the shortest route to being successful again is by healing up. So, it was a successful week on that front.

Deadlift starts up again with a new meso, which will be the re-run base phase. For both deficits and paused deadlifts, the progression will be 380-410-440; because I just ran this, I have a good feel for the numbers now. After that I'll move forward but I want to spend more time working on technique and building work capacity first.

Squat feels good. I finished my previous session with 440x6 and 450x5 and drilled the depth on both of those sets. It was still very borderline but I was happy to finally commit to something that needed to be addressed. I finished my last session with 485x3 which is a triple PR regardless of wrapped or unwrapped, and that felt tough, but good. I need to continue working on fixing my depth until I'm comfortable with it, and thanks to Janis pushing me towards making that a priority, that's what I will do next. At some point the bar tilt should also be addressed, but as of right now it's less of a priority.

Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Kyle's New Training Log   Kyle's New Training Log - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 07, 2015 8:26 am

I am the most horrible logger in history. Let me just play catchup:

So, I'm thinking seriously about doing an August 1st UPA meet at 165. The reasons:

1.) I'm feeling good and am pretty strong right now, and could probably come close to 1575 in wraps right now.
2.) I've got the itch to do another meet after watching our gym's.
3.) Janis might do it with me, and I've got some good friends competing as well.
4.) I'll be there anyway as a handler.
5.) It'll coincide with the end of my supplement cycle, and I'd likely be testing anyway.
6.) I'm nice and joocy and am ahead of pace in terms of gaining bodyweight.

So, I don't really have any reason it'd hold back my long-term development to do this one; I just never expected to be ready by August. I'd like to see if I can total over 1600 in wraps, which should be doable considering I'm not too far away right now and am supplement-free for the last two months. I think Micah has the top spot at 165 right now with 1654, and I'd have an outside shot at beating that, especially now that I'm a weight class higher. I figure I'm 1500 at best right now unwrapped, which means ~1575 in wraps, which means I'd have a shot at doing some good work at this one provided I make improvements in training and respond well to supplementation.

Otherwise, recent training has been good. On squat, I've started a new protocol with much more volume, and my first two sessions were 415x5x4/335x10x2 and 430x4x4/345x10x2. Both were tough, but doable. My squat still feels strong and I finished the last cycle with a small PR of 515. I'm hoping the additional volume will push it even further.

Bench is solid--despite hardly training it. My tendonitis has finally healed enough so that I can run a base low-intensity phase. Yesterday, I did 225x12x4 and 225x19 on my comp-style paused bench. I'm going to keep the frequency and volume very high--and the intensity VERY low--for the next couple of weeks. I might not even advance past 225, or start a wave, this week. My bench is going to be much stronger with the added bodyweight once I can finally train it, but for now, I'm going to be stuck in that 345ish range while I continue to heal.

Deadlift feels fine as well. This week, I hit 415x8x5 from a deficit and 410x8x5 with a pause. Next week, I'm supposed to increase weights one more time, and that will be challenging, but also doable.

Finally, I'm ready to start recomping these next three months. I weighed 181.3 last night, and I'm 5'4". I'm on the soft side right now but I still have visible (barely) abs. My guess is that my body-fat's 11%ish right now. By the end of this, I'd like to be a lean(er) 180 heading into August. I still don't think I look that big but there's a definite difference in my body.

Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Kyle's New Training Log   Kyle's New Training Log - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 07, 2015 9:04 pm

Learning to log again:

Squats
445x4
335x10x2
375x10x2

Notes: First set of 445 felt like garbage. The reps were high and the set was hard. Not that 445x4 should be "easy," but I decided nothing good was going to come out of doing three more sets and opted for 40 NBL at 355-375 and just focused on breaking parallel. The depth was much better and the work was at least valuable. I'm probably suffering a bit of blowback from ramping my training volume way the hell up, so I will manage it and see if I catch my second wind. Otherwise, I'll adjust exertion down for a week or so and recover.

So, crap session that I salvaged, which is what I need to do every time.
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Kyle's New Training Log   Kyle's New Training Log - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat May 02, 2015 10:25 pm

Ridiculous non-logging ITT. Thinking I might just ditch my other log and try to do this one exclusively. Consistency would be...good.

Gearing up for the Aug. 1 UPA meet now. I'm going to be competing in wraps again since that's their only raw division. My goal's 1600 at 165 but I think I can probably do a fair amount over that if prep goes well.

Started taking some vitamin t last week and my quality of life has already improved, but I shouldn't see any real differences for the next two weeks. To be as specific as possible, I'm taking less than the typical beginner cycle but more than the average proscribed therapeutic dose. Supplementation gets serious at six weeks out and there's a chance I'll just do this meet at 181, but I'm working on getting my weight down now and was 174 this morning.

Otherwise, everything's going pretty well. 520x3 paused deadlifts yesterday in my first session back deadlifting, and 300x6/330x2 on bench today in my first session back over 300 lbs. Tendonitis is gone, lat's just about healed, and I'm feeling pretty healthy. I'm dealing with some lower-body stiffness from work but I think I just need to foam roll semi-regularly.
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Kyle's New Training Log   Kyle's New Training Log - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun May 03, 2015 2:06 pm

Paused beltless squats
365x5
380x5
315x5x3

Notes: Pretty meh, but about in line with recent performances on squat. Really dropped the exertion on the load drops this time to try and add a bit of really light volume. The upside was that my pauses were a lot stricter and I didn't have much if any bar tilt this time around. No way would I be able to repeat 515 right now, but the good news is that deadlift and bench are really strong and getting stronger. The squat will come around but I just have to trust it and continue to get in quality work. At some point soon I will have to consistently get into my wraps and really start relearning them, but I'm just going to give it another week and try to get on track with some decent paused beltless squatting.
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Kyle's New Training Log   Kyle's New Training Log - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue May 05, 2015 2:30 pm

Paused Bench Press
315x1
335x1
350x1 (PR)
135x59

Notes: Just kind of followed the progression on bench for this session. Obviously this was the last hurdle to overcome and if I can bench 350 pain free, I'm good to go. 350 wasn't too bad and I probably had another ten pounds in me, but I called it there and I'll go further on another day. I really only got back to training my bench regularly about a month ago and spent a lot of that time just benching 225 for endless sets, so once I get my training in order I should progress pretty steadily up until the meet. Not entirely sure what the plan is moving forward, but I'll figure it out.
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Kyle's New Training Log   Kyle's New Training Log - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue May 05, 2015 8:08 pm

2" Deficit Deadlifts
455x3x5

Notes: Rough session after really pushing the exertion a few days prior, so I just held back and did the work I was supposed to do rather than going off the rails again.
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Kyle's New Training Log   Kyle's New Training Log - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu May 07, 2015 8:03 pm

Paused Beltless Squats
325x10x3

Notes: A bit better than the previous couple sessions. Squats feel slow as molasses right now.
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Kyle's New Training Log   Kyle's New Training Log - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun May 10, 2015 6:02 am

Paused Bench from two days ago:

250x15
250x10x3

Notes: Quick bench sesh. Weights moved pretty easy and the top set with 250 was the first one I've done in which I've held a couple of reps in the tank, so that was good stuff.
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Kyle's New Training Log   Kyle's New Training Log - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun May 10, 2015 6:14 am

Wrapped Squatty
515x2

Notes: Quick squat session; I had to leave early so I'll supplement some drop-set work in a couple of days. I really just wanted to get in and toss my wraps on for a few sets. It felt really lousy last week, so this time I used a lighter wrap and just went more by feel. The plan was just to do a single and get out of there, but I was so sick of wearing these stupid things that I took 505, added ten pounds and a rep, and called it.

Wraps feel fine, and I will get better at them, but right now I'm pretty awful at it. 515x2 moved fine but I got off-balance midway on the second rep and am moving down really slow on the first. I just need a lot more practice, but the good news is that I have 12 weeks to go. Right now I'm using these 2m Inzer grippers that feel like they're dipped in crushed glass, but very soon I will put the lilliebridges back on and work with those.

Now I remember why I hated this so much. Oh well. Guess I will learn to love it.
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Kyle's New Training Log   Kyle's New Training Log - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon May 11, 2015 8:55 pm

Paused Deadlifts
480x3x5

Paused Bench Press
240x15x3
Feet Up
225x12
225x10

Notes: Paused dellies felt fine, though a little slow. Tried to just be very strict with them and never felt like I was in danger of missing a rep or anything. Paused bench felt fine as well and I'm reverting back to a lot of low-ish exertion volume, though the 240 sets crept up on me and the last one was pretty tough. Bizness as usual.
Back to top Go down
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: Kyle's New Training Log   Kyle's New Training Log - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon May 11, 2015 11:58 pm

Keosawa wrote:
Wrapped Squatty
515x2

Notes: Quick squat session; I had to leave early so I'll supplement some drop-set work in a couple of days. I really just wanted to get in and toss my wraps on for a few sets. It felt really lousy last week, so this time I used a lighter wrap and just went more by feel. The plan was just to do a single and get out of there, but I was so sick of wearing these stupid things that I took 505, added ten pounds and a rep, and called it.

Wraps feel fine, and I will get better at them, but right now I'm pretty awful at it. 515x2 moved fine but I got off-balance midway on the second rep and am moving down really slow on the first. I just need a lot more practice, but the good news is that I have 12 weeks to go. Right now I'm using these 2m Inzer grippers that feel like they're dipped in crushed glass, but very soon I will put the lilliebridges back on and work with those.

Now I remember why I hated this so much. Oh well. Guess I will learn to love it.

Keosawa wrote:

Keosawa wrote:
Notes: Quick squat session; I had to leave early so I'll supplement some drop-set work in a couple of days.

Keosawa wrote:
I had to leave early so I'll supplement some drop-set work

Keosawa wrote:
I had to leave early so I'll supplement

Keosawa wrote:
so I'll supplement

Keosawa wrote:
I'll supplement

Keosawa wrote:
I'll supplement

Keosawa wrote:
I'll supplement

Keosawa wrote:
supplement

afro
Back to top Go down
KevinAlvy
Elite
Elite
KevinAlvy

PostSubject: Re: Kyle's New Training Log   Kyle's New Training Log - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue May 12, 2015 11:24 am

finally bought some more soy protein?
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Kyle's New Training Log   Kyle's New Training Log - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue May 12, 2015 3:08 pm

Wow, the one time I was trying NOT to use innuendo...

Back to top Go down
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: Kyle's New Training Log   Kyle's New Training Log - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue May 12, 2015 6:12 pm

Keosawa wrote:
Wow, the one time I was trying NOT to use innuendo...

in your endo

Wink
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Kyle's New Training Log   Kyle's New Training Log - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue May 12, 2015 8:28 pm

Unwrapped Squat
375x8
405x2 (left box on platform, couldn't squat without hitting it with my butt. Skipped the set. Whoops.)
425x8
w/ wraps
500x4

Notes: For whatever reason, I've just performed better recently by lowering squat volume, doing a few selective high-exertion days, and then rotating in a sub-max paused beltless microcycle. I guess I'll just keep that going for as long as it helps. 425x8 is a 5-lb. PR and 500x4 is definitely a PR. Wrapped squats are getting better each session and I probably would have done 5-6 fresh. The 425x8 was a big shock considering how weak I've felt squatting, and my squat's all of a sudden feeling quite good again. So, yay.

Bodyweight of 177 before training; I'm bringing body-fat down and am now nearing 10% again, but I'm still on the joocy side. I'm sure after supplementation I'll be looking at another big weight cut. Powerlifter probs.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kyle's New Training Log   Kyle's New Training Log - Page 5 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Kyle's New Training Log
Page 5 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next