Ultimate Iowa Powerlifting
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Ultimate Iowa Powerlifting

A forum dedicated to powerlifting in Iowa and Iowa City

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Kyle's New Training Log

Go down 
+3
KevinAlvy
SSchwartsenator
Chris Anderson
7 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

Kyle's New Training Log - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kyle's New Training Log   Kyle's New Training Log - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 21, 2014 11:16 pm

Paused Deadlifts
441x3x3
441x6

Notes: For my first deadlift session, these felt really easy; I put together the last two sets because a.) I was running low on time and b.) I under-loaded the barbell by nine pounds. Thanks, Eleiko collars.

From here, the progression will likely be 441-470-500, but that depends entirely upon how well I acclimate to the training and how good I feel. So far, this is a good start.

Finally, I've decided that I'm going to give "powerlifting" as a career a shot. I'm going to try online programming for pay, and I'm going to supplement my income with personal training. My hope is to start taking on clients by February 1st. Anyone who knows somebody who might be interested can feel welcome to contact me at KyleKeough148@gmail.com. It's something I've wanted to do for a long time, but I didn't feel I had anything worth selling until recently.
Back to top Go down
http://iowapowerlifting.com
SSchwartsenator
Admin
SSchwartsenator

PostSubject: Re: Kyle's New Training Log   Kyle's New Training Log - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 22, 2014 1:09 pm

Keosawa wrote:

Finally, I've decided that I'm going to give "powerlifting" as a career a shot. I'm going to try online programming for pay, and I'm going to supplement my income with personal training. My hope is to start taking on clients by February 1st. Anyone who knows somebody who might be interested can feel welcome to contact me at KyleKeough148@gmail.com. It's something I've wanted to do for a long time, but I didn't feel I had anything worth selling until recently.

This is awesome. You have a great wealth of knowledge that I'm glad you can start benefiting from, plus any extra income is always good! Can I suggest a larger social media presence? You're pretty active on facebook, but I've seen a growing number of lifters (bodybuilders, powerlifters, crossfitters, etc) take to instagram and get pretty successful results. Good luck with this new endeavor mang.
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Kyle's New Training Log   Kyle's New Training Log - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 22, 2014 5:36 pm

SSchwartsenator wrote:
Keosawa wrote:

This is awesome. You have a great wealth of knowledge that I'm glad you can start benefiting from, plus any extra income is always good! Can I suggest a larger social media presence? You're pretty active on facebook, but I've seen a growing number of lifters (bodybuilders, powerlifters, crossfitters, etc) take to instagram and get pretty successful results. Good luck with this new endeavor mang.

Yeah, I know I have to get onto Instagram. That's my next step, I suppose!
Back to top Go down
KevinAlvy
Elite
Elite
KevinAlvy

PostSubject: Re: Kyle's New Training Log   Kyle's New Training Log - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 22, 2014 8:33 pm

Keosawa wrote:
340 to 345 for a 10x5 before I move on to the next phase of squat training.

If you can pull this off I'd bet you are already in the neighborhood of a 500 lb wrapless squat
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Kyle's New Training Log   Kyle's New Training Log - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 22, 2014 9:15 pm

KevinAlvy wrote:
Keosawa wrote:
340 to 345 for a 10x5 before I move on to the next phase of squat training.

If you can pull this off I'd bet you are already in the neighborhood of a 500 lb wrapless squat

Eh, I am the king of the ten-rep set though. I'm still a long ways away but I appreciate the vote of confidence; by meet day I fully expect to be there.
Back to top Go down
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: Kyle's New Training Log   Kyle's New Training Log - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 22, 2014 10:00 pm

For reference, I didn't have too much of an issue with 5x8 (or, by your nomenclature, 8x5) with 335lb and 475lb was pretty easy unwrapped. So ten more reps with ten more pounds should make it really makeable.
Back to top Go down
KevinAlvy
Elite
Elite
KevinAlvy

PostSubject: Re: Kyle's New Training Log   Kyle's New Training Log - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 22, 2014 10:08 pm

Yeah. I think you are either underestimating how big 345 5x10 is or you are underestimating your strength

Either way, stay safe op
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Kyle's New Training Log   Kyle's New Training Log - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 22, 2014 10:32 pm

I am still at a point where creatine is probably accounting for 5-10% (i.e. almost nothing) of the final gains, so that would be gravy for me. OP's going to stay safe and not stress about the progression because the strength is going to go way up and there's no reason for me to force anything.
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Kyle's New Training Log   Kyle's New Training Log - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 24, 2014 6:10 pm

Paused Bench Press
280x5x2
240x9x2

Squat
330x10x4

Notes: Both good days from the perspective of bar-speed and top-set numbers, but both sort of mediocre days in terms of how I felt, especially on the squat day, in which I just felt shaky and weak under everything. I'd been running my calories down the last few days and I think it just finally caught up to me, so I carb-loaded a bit tonight and will hopefully feel better as a result. The squats especially were frustrating, because the reps themselves were easy, but I was so. damn. tired. after every set. I chopped one set off and I'll see if the reduced volume and macro redistribution helps.

Back to top Go down
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: Kyle's New Training Log   Kyle's New Training Log - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 24, 2014 7:45 pm

Yes, yes, eat more...come to me.
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Kyle's New Training Log   Kyle's New Training Log - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 25, 2014 4:16 pm

lol, I think it's going to take me a long time to develop in the 165 class. My strength will probably be OK from the start just with the weight gain, but I'm going to really have to work to fill out and be more than just a soft 175ish lb. version of current me. I think I can probably go right up and be competitive with the second tier of guys immediately, but getting up into that top tier will take me time to rebuild. I basically feel like I'd be a beginner all over again, moving up a class.
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Kyle's New Training Log   Kyle's New Training Log - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 25, 2014 4:17 pm

Also, Janis got me SBDs for Christmas. Smile They're mediums, so not quite cheater-sleeve territory, and they feel great--I can't wait to try them out later this week.
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Kyle's New Training Log   Kyle's New Training Log - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 25, 2014 10:01 pm

Deadlift
480x3x5

Face Pulls
105x20x5

Pendlay Rows
235x8x2

Notes: Bleh. Training today was so-so. 480 didn't give me any trouble, but it also didn't move how I'd want it to, and it wasn't as good a session as the paused deadlift one. Rather than worry too much about bar-speed, I opted instead to focus on quality reps with a slower break and to preserve my back as much as possible.
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Kyle's New Training Log   Kyle's New Training Log - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 26, 2014 8:18 pm

Squats
345x10x5

Notes: These were way easier than my previous session; for whatever reason, my conditioning felt better and I was just able to sustain the work better. None of the sessions have felt particularly heavy, so continuing to push my work capacity has been the biggest concern. Thankfully this ends that phase, and I'll be moving to the next phase of my block next week. I'm surprised this went so well, considering I deadlifted the previous day.

Janis got me a great pair of SBDs and I loved squatting in them--they don't slide down like my old rehbands and they also don't smell funky, which is a nice plus. I've got the mediums and I can get them on without any tricks, so I don't really think I'm "getting" much anything out of them, but they definitely offer more support and just feel good. Smile

Back to top Go down
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: Kyle's New Training Log   Kyle's New Training Log - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 26, 2014 9:43 pm

TK master race
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Kyle's New Training Log   Kyle's New Training Log - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 28, 2014 12:19 pm

Paused Deadlifts
470x3x5

Notes: Better sesh than the regular pulls earlier in the week, and I had a little fun at the end with the last set. Everyone in our gym is dying due to the flu and knowing my luck, I will catch it on meet week, but I'm going to try my best to avoid it. Hoping next week feels about the same exertion-wise as this one; I'm going to try to push for 500x3x5.

Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Kyle's New Training Log   Kyle's New Training Log - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 29, 2014 10:15 pm

Paused Bench Press
290x3 (blah)

Squat
350x15
350x7x3

Notes: I just didn't feel great benching today. I didn't perform well, I didn't adjust to the equipment well, and I didn't call the correct number. I called what I thought would be an easy-ish set and missed the fourth rep, then did one drop set and shut it down. I will go back in tomorrow, revise the training, and get in a good, productive bench session to start building momentum.

Instead of sulking for too long, I decided to try squatting, and despite the fatigue from all the recent lower-body training, that went very well. Of all the lifts, my squat has been by far the biggest mover. For context, when I squatted 405x4 in training--and 523 in wraps at a meet--I hit a top set of 365x10 on my last week of smolov. Here I did 350x15 and felt like I was capable of 20 if I pushed it further. We'll see how my squats continue to trend in the coming weeks but I'm way ahead of my plans. I just need to get my bench back on the right track now.
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Kyle's New Training Log   Kyle's New Training Log - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 02, 2015 1:02 pm

From the last two days:

Deadlifts
510x3x5

Floor Press w/ reactive slingshot
275x1
295x1
315x1
335x1
350x1 (PR)

Notes: Deadlifting felt so-so and I was at least able to do all five sets without resorting to straps, as my hands held up well and the extra grip work is awesome. My grip strength feels great but my hands just get so beat up pulling twice a week; I think this Sunday's session will be straps-only. I am now feeling pretty beat up from the deadlifting and I didn't have any bar-speed off the floor, but the reps were pretty comparable to the third week of the last cycle, which means I'm ahead of pace. My hope is to arrive at 540x3x5 next week, which will be do-able depending on how I'm able to recover and when tech starts kicking in.

I added a third session this week to do some overloaded pressing and just worked up to a single at ~95% on floor press with my reactive slingshot. I had success incorporating overloaded training when my bench shot up post-RUM, so I'm going to mix it into a third session for the following two weeks. 350 felt pretty easy and I was overall pretty happy with it. I'll be back to my double top set on Saturday and the goal will be 295x4x2.
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Kyle's New Training Log   Kyle's New Training Log - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 03, 2015 12:12 am

Squats:
365x7
380x7
380x10 (PR)

Notes: I kept the volume down at 24 NBL for the session because my back and left leg are pretty cranky right now. I'm just going to need to taper off the volume as my intensity continues to climb, and if I can just get myself to recover a bit more, I'll feel that much better for upcoming sessions. I'm planning on stripping more volume from next week's training and modifying the protocol. Based on how it's felt, I'll probably opt for something like:

Session A
395x7x2
395x8-10

Session B
410x6x2
410x7-8

So, two work sets, as well as a slightly longer top set, aiming for ~45 bar-lifts for the week. I'm not looking for high-exertion top sets for as long as I continue making good progress without having to be too aggressive with the training.

Otherwise, this was another nice step forward. 380x10 is +15 lbs. over my previous best 10RM. I've got one more week of high-frequency deadlifting to get through, and from there, the workload decreases up to RUM.
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Kyle's New Training Log   Kyle's New Training Log - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 03, 2015 2:17 pm

Paused Bench Press
275x4
295x4x2
w/ slingshot
315x5

Floor Press,narrower grip
225x10x2

Face Pulls
135x15x5

Pendlay Rows
245x10x2

Notes: Big increase in my bench press, as I had missed the fourth rep on 290 earlier in the week before calling that session. The goal for next week is 315x3x2. I'm starting to really see fast progress now.

Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Kyle's New Training Log   Kyle's New Training Log - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 04, 2015 3:58 pm

Paused Deadlifts
500x3x3
500x6

Notes: Good way to finish up my last paused deadlift session of the meso. Last cycle I was running on fumes at this point and only did 480x2x2 before calling the session. This cycle, I cruised right through my fifth session, and now I just have one more really heavy off-the-floor session before this meso's done. After that, I've got a three-session meso before the meet.

On Wednesday, the goal is 540x3x5, but if I don't feel great, I'm going to choose to scale that session back.

After that, I rest a week, then come back in for 2x4 for my heaviest deadlifts off the floor, on 1/14. Last time I set it at 550 and I goofed my back on the third set; this time I'll probably be in a position to pull ~570 and adjust up if I happen to feel better.

Next session will be six singles with the reverse bands on 1/19. To keep the appropriate pace, these would be set at 640-650.

The following session would be up to a near-max single, which I'm hoping will be 675+. Anything at or above that amount puts me in range to pull 620-630 at the meet.

Obviously, the stronger I get and the easier the training becomes, the more I'll adjust up, but that's the baseline as it currently stands.
Back to top Go down
KevinAlvy
Elite
Elite
KevinAlvy

PostSubject: Re: Kyle's New Training Log   Kyle's New Training Log - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 04, 2015 4:56 pm

das it
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Kyle's New Training Log   Kyle's New Training Log - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 04, 2015 8:17 pm

Thank you. Paused deli feels very strong now. I think squat and deadlift have crossed into all-time status (for me) now--four more weeks to build them up as high as possible.
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: Kyle's New Training Log   Kyle's New Training Log - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 08, 2015 9:38 pm

Sorry, I haven't logged for the last few days. I'll try to get caught up with the last two sessions:

Squats
365x7
405x7x2

Deadlift
540x3x4

Notes: This is a nice-sized squat PR, as I've only managed 405x4 before, but I also didn't feel my best for it and wasn't terribly technical. I decided to strip some of the volume and just focus on a good, taxing double top set.

Deadlifting was rough. I had pulled three days prior and squatted on the previous day, and everything felt glued to the floor. On top of that I ended up pulling with a stiff bar. Considering 540x3 ties a rep PR--and I did it for four sets--it could be worse. My bar-speed is non-existent but I know that will return as I'm able to recover. I'm well ahead of where I was coming into my last meet, as I don't remember what number I managed at this point but it certainly wasn't this high.

Overall, so-so training, but the progression is still there. I'm on pace for where I need to be, but there's more work to be done.
Back to top Go down
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: Kyle's New Training Log   Kyle's New Training Log - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2015 6:27 am

This makes me so excite
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kyle's New Training Log   Kyle's New Training Log - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Kyle's New Training Log
Page 2 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next