Ultimate Iowa Powerlifting
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Ultimate Iowa Powerlifting

A forum dedicated to powerlifting in Iowa and Iowa City

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

KevinAlvy's Training Log

Go down 
+8
agleckler
Logan Joseph
babyeater
GFou
Chris Anderson
Keosawa
Nathan Poage
KevinAlvy
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 19 ... 34, 35, 36 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

KevinAlvy's Training Log - Page 35 Empty
PostSubject: Re: KevinAlvy's Training Log   KevinAlvy's Training Log - Page 35 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 07, 2013 3:43 pm

You can't catch a break, while I do everything with horrendous form and almost never get injured.

I feel for you, brah.
Back to top Go down
http://iowapowerlifting.com
KevinAlvy
Elite
Elite
KevinAlvy

PostSubject: Re: KevinAlvy's Training Log   KevinAlvy's Training Log - Page 35 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 07, 2013 3:46 pm

KKeough wrote:
You can't catch a break, while I do everything with horrendous form and almost never get injured.

I feel for you, brah.

My body has been pathetic these past 2 years

I am starting to finally agree with you guys though. I don't think my frame can handle the 220's. I still think I'm at my best levers, but chit is just breaking down consantly
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: KevinAlvy's Training Log   KevinAlvy's Training Log - Page 35 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 07, 2013 4:05 pm

I now understand why you have always been set on being a 220--since I got on BB.com, I realized that everyone there is 5'7", 220 lbs. It's pretty surreal.
Back to top Go down
KevinAlvy
Elite
Elite
KevinAlvy

PostSubject: Re: KevinAlvy's Training Log   KevinAlvy's Training Log - Page 35 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 07, 2013 4:11 pm

KKeough wrote:
I now understand why you have always been set on being a 220--since I got on BB.com, I realized that everyone there is 5'7", 220 lbs. It's pretty surreal.

Yes. 5'7" 198 is small
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: KevinAlvy's Training Log   KevinAlvy's Training Log - Page 35 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 07, 2013 4:19 pm

KevinAlvy wrote:
KKeough wrote:

Yes. 5'7" 198 is small

At least BB.com is the land of the manlets. I feel safe, even if I'm a skinny one.
Back to top Go down
KevinAlvy
Elite
Elite
KevinAlvy

PostSubject: Re: KevinAlvy's Training Log   KevinAlvy's Training Log - Page 35 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 07, 2013 4:22 pm

KKeough wrote:
KevinAlvy wrote:
KKeough wrote:

Yes. 5'7" 198 is small

At least BB.com is the land of the manlets. I feel safe, even if I'm a skinny one.

165 training weight is acceptable for you imo

Hardly any manmores in the pl/strongman subforum. Only in the misc

Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: KevinAlvy's Training Log   KevinAlvy's Training Log - Page 35 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 07, 2013 6:14 pm

KevinAlvy wrote:
KKeough wrote:
KevinAlvy wrote:
KKeough wrote:

Yes. 5'7" 198 is small

165 training weight is acceptable for you imo

Almost there!

Also, your odds of getting wings went up slightly with today's deadlift session. So at least you have that going for you.
Back to top Go down
Chris Anderson
Anabolic Furnace
Anabolic Furnace
Chris Anderson

PostSubject: Re: KevinAlvy's Training Log   KevinAlvy's Training Log - Page 35 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 07, 2013 6:25 pm

KevinAlvy wrote:
FML I hate powerlifting

Time for bodybuilding.
Back to top Go down
KevinAlvy
Elite
Elite
KevinAlvy

PostSubject: Re: KevinAlvy's Training Log   KevinAlvy's Training Log - Page 35 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 07, 2013 7:13 pm

KKeough wrote:

Almost there!

Also, your odds of getting wings went up slightly with today's deadlift session. So at least you have that going for you.

The odds are ever in my favor

Chris Anderson wrote:

Time for bodybuilding.

I've been considering a full out 6 months of it recently
Back to top Go down
Quadfather
Class I
Class I
Quadfather

PostSubject: Re: KevinAlvy's Training Log   KevinAlvy's Training Log - Page 35 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 07, 2013 7:49 pm

Quite a few elite lifters at 22nd go through body building phases. Phil Schultz (#2 242 single ply), Drew Strube (700+ raw squatter), and Wes Keith said they usually go through a 6 month body building phase and usually feel their strongest after.

Last edited by Broceidon on Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: KevinAlvy's Training Log   KevinAlvy's Training Log - Page 35 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 07, 2013 8:00 pm

I'm always bodybuilding, quite obviously.
Back to top Go down
David Petersen
Class II
Class II
David Petersen

PostSubject: Re: KevinAlvy's Training Log   KevinAlvy's Training Log - Page 35 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 07, 2013 9:31 pm

KevinAlvy wrote:
KKeough wrote:

I feel for you, brah.

My body has been pathetic these past 2 years

I am starting to finally agree with you guys though. I don't think my frame can handle the 220's. I still think I'm at my best levers, but chit is just breaking down consantly

What has been your training program/style the last two years?
Back to top Go down
KevinAlvy
Elite
Elite
KevinAlvy

PostSubject: Re: KevinAlvy's Training Log   KevinAlvy's Training Log - Page 35 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 07, 2013 10:05 pm

Broceidon wrote:
Quite a few elite lifters at 22nd go through body building phases. Phil Schultz (#2 242 single ply), Drew Strube (700+ raw squatter), and Wes Keith said they usually go through a 6 month body building phase and usually feel their strongest after.

If they are coming out of a bodybuilding phase stronger than before they aren't bodybuilding, but I think I know what they mean

I've been thinking quite a bit about having a more legitimate training outline recently. And in a real macrocycle you have a season/offseason. In the offseason I would imagine they are focusing on body composition, conditioning, building connective tissues, coordination, weaknesses etc. while not forcing progress from the big three. Plers tend to call this bodybuilding..

Since I have my eye on USAPL Raw Nationals next year, an extended period of recovery and building up less sport specific attributes makes a lot of sense (especially given how injury prone I seem to be lately). However, at the end of the day I love to lift heavy and I sometimes can't help myself

Allprocro wrote:

What has been your training program/style the last two years?

I've got a log on bodybuilding.com that goes back to December 2010 if you're interested.

My training is customized. I follow a lot of the RTS principles, but I've learned and picked up a lot of things to make my own philosophy. Recently I've been doing three meso cycles with transitions in between.

Conditioning/work capacity 3 weeks
1 week transition
Volume 3 weeks
1 week transition
Intensity 2-3 weeks
.5-1 week deload
Meet/test/skills eval

Conditioning block is mainly muscular fatigue induced by a large quantity of movements and reps. I don't do a ton of the main movements, lots of variations. Goal at the end of this block is to be healthy and for better muscular conditioning

Volume block replaces the variations with main movements. Drops some of the stabilization and small muscle accessory work. Mainly use accessories to achieve a targeted level of fatigue. Goal of the volume block is to induce fatigue through the main movements, gain intermuscular efficiencies on the main movements, and transfer some of the nonspecific work into the main movements

Intensity block cuts down the working sets on the main movements and up the training weights. I usually reintroduce low impact accessory work to help with recovery and try to maintain my mass. Goal of this block is to start the peaking process and develop neural efficiencies

Transition blocks are usually just dropping deadlifts and adding fun exercises to avoid staleness

Edit: written on phone, stay safe
Back to top Go down
Quadfather
Class I
Class I
Quadfather

PostSubject: Re: KevinAlvy's Training Log   KevinAlvy's Training Log - Page 35 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 07, 2013 10:12 pm

yeahup, that is essentially what they were saying. shorter rest intervals and more reps to build size. We all like to lift heavy but maybe setting a goal/limit for yourself would help. For example on your "heavy" squat days, tell yourself you can't go over 85% of your 1RM or maybe you say that 500lbs is your limit. Something specific like this could give you that ability to say "nope, gotta stop here"
Back to top Go down
KevinAlvy
Elite
Elite
KevinAlvy

PostSubject: Re: KevinAlvy's Training Log   KevinAlvy's Training Log - Page 35 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 07, 2013 10:24 pm

I strongly dislike %'s and arbitrary numbers, and I don't know that putting a ceiling in them would help. I hurt myself today with a fairly easy 5rm

I think I just need longer periods where I don't aggressively try to drive the #'s or lose some damn weight
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: KevinAlvy's Training Log   KevinAlvy's Training Log - Page 35 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 07, 2013 11:02 pm

I don't know what specifically the answer is, but discovering how to train for sustained periods of time without getting injured has to be the goal for you, and I know that you know that. I feel like you've done a good job in training trying to keep yourself healthy, but this just means that there is more work to be done.

Just be honest with yourself and keep trying. Eventually, you'll figure it out.
Back to top Go down
KevinAlvy
Elite
Elite
KevinAlvy

PostSubject: Re: KevinAlvy's Training Log   KevinAlvy's Training Log - Page 35 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 08, 2013 9:58 am

Yes, I have keep learning my body and its capabilities

The pain is not radiating and it takes less than a few minutes to stand up now. I think I will be better in a few days
Back to top Go down
KevinAlvy
Elite
Elite
KevinAlvy

PostSubject: Re: KevinAlvy's Training Log   KevinAlvy's Training Log - Page 35 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 08, 2013 9:31 pm

Seated MP
Warmups
190x6 @8.5

Narrow Incline
Warmups
235x7 @9.5

Decline Bench
Warmups
275x12 @9

Cable Flyes, Skullcrushers, Shoulder Prehab, Pressdowns, Pullovers
Lots
Back to top Go down
KevinAlvy
Elite
Elite
KevinAlvy

PostSubject: Re: KevinAlvy's Training Log   KevinAlvy's Training Log - Page 35 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 10, 2013 8:23 pm

Deadlift W/ Straps
Warmups
560x5 @9 hard to tell

Front Squat
Warmups
240x12

Sumo Deadlift w/ Straps
Warmups
315 2x12

Lunges
65's 2x8

Superset
Cable upright row 3x15
Cable shrugs 3x15

Notes: idk how I recovered so quickly from that
Back to top Go down
KevinAlvy
Elite
Elite
KevinAlvy

PostSubject: Re: KevinAlvy's Training Log   KevinAlvy's Training Log - Page 35 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 11, 2013 8:38 pm

Tng Bench
Warmups
315 3x5

Decline Bench
Warmups
225 3x15

Narrow Incline Bench
135 3x10

Rope Pressdowns
5x15

Notes: Pec is holding up
Back to top Go down
KevinAlvy
Elite
Elite
KevinAlvy

PostSubject: Re: KevinAlvy's Training Log   KevinAlvy's Training Log - Page 35 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 13, 2013 7:33 pm

Deficit Deadlift
Warmups
550x2
570x2
590x1 @9.5

Front Squat
Warmups
285x8

Sumo Deadlift W/ Straps
Warmups
315x8
335x8
355x8
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: KevinAlvy's Training Log   KevinAlvy's Training Log - Page 35 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 14, 2013 12:31 pm

Well, he got a total in at a USAPL meet.
Back to top Go down
KevinAlvy
Elite
Elite
KevinAlvy

PostSubject: Re: KevinAlvy's Training Log   KevinAlvy's Training Log - Page 35 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 14, 2013 12:40 pm

Not bad morrow man

I didn't know he was that light either... Do you have Watson's vid?
Back to top Go down
Keosawa
American-Record Holder
American-Record Holder
Keosawa

PostSubject: Re: KevinAlvy's Training Log   KevinAlvy's Training Log - Page 35 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 14, 2013 2:32 pm

KevinAlvy wrote:
Not bad morrow man

I didn't know he was that light either... Do you have Watson's vid?

This isn't from Nats--he had to do this as a qualifier to get in. It's next week.
Back to top Go down
KevinAlvy
Elite
Elite
KevinAlvy

PostSubject: Re: KevinAlvy's Training Log   KevinAlvy's Training Log - Page 35 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 14, 2013 3:37 pm

Oh I see
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: KevinAlvy's Training Log   KevinAlvy's Training Log - Page 35 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

KevinAlvy's Training Log
Page 35 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 19 ... 34, 35, 36 ... 40  Next